Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:08 PM   #766
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
This is The Lounge. No?
Yeah, but if he's jumping back and forth between threads and just reading the messages it could slip his mind.
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #767
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
Quite frankly, I bet a lot of people have (and have had) this already and just didn't realize what it was, chalking it up to the flu.
I spent 26 days in November/December with pneumonia full blown aids pneumonia. I wonder.
Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #768
In Search of a Life

There's also two strains - one seems a lot milder. Maybe we'll get lucky and somehow only get the milder one.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #769
THE RED MENACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. loochy View Post
Weaponized sneezing is no laughing matter.
Yes sir. I will try to keep that in mind the next time I hack on a masked man.
BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:15 PM   #770
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Quite frankly, I bet a lot of people have (and have had) this already and just didn't realize what it was, chalking it up to the flu.
I'm in Colorado where there are no reported cases. I never get sick, but I went down for the count in December and early January with similar symptoms. It makes me wonder a little, though as full disclosure any time I get a muscle cramp I assume that it's polio.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #771
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzzer99 View Post
There's very likely 1000s of cases right now we don't know about. We're barely testing. The question is whether it's deliberate - either for political reasons or to not induce a panic, or just incompetence in creating/distributing tests.

We'll know in as little as a few weeks if hospitals start being overwhelmed with people needed ventilators and oxygen. Can't really hide it at that point.

The only thing I know for sure is we didn't close any borders - which is what set me off.
Quote:
I'll say again that if it has been circulating widely in Washington State for over a month, those hospitals would probably already be overflowing with people who are severely ill. But there's no report to indicate that this is true.

To loochy's point, there probably have been other cases of community spread that we don't know about - but it doesn't to seem to have put a large burden on any of our healthcare systems that we know of.

Yes maybe it'll spread largely across the country, or maybe we'll only see isolated hot spots.

Right now doesn't seem like the time for "WORST CASE SCENARIO" planning.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #772
Supporter

I had a meeting in Burbank this morning so afterwards, I stopped at Costco for gas and just a few items.

It was a complete and utter madhouse.

It took about 20 minutes to find parking and once I got inside, it was packed with old people that were in a tizzy everywhere, bumping into other people's carts, cutting in line, fighting for an opportunity to purchase water, even though the aisle was completely empty. Then, I saw fighting to get toilet paper, even though the area where the toilet paper was supposed to be was taped off with Police Tape and was completely empty.

It was so unbelievably stupid.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:42 PM   #773
THE RED MENACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I had a meeting in Burbank this morning so afterwards, I stopped at Costco for gas and just a few items.

It took about 20 minutes to find parking and once I got inside, it was packed with old people that were in a tizzy everywhere, bumping into other people's carts, cutting in line, fighting for an opportunity to purchase water, even though the aisle was completely empty. Then, I saw fighting to get toilet paper, even though the area where the toilet paper was supposed to be was taped off with Police Tape and was completely empty.

It is totally like that here as well. Armageddon. This shows the power of the media and how easily people are led. The media and public schools should be our biggest concerns as a nation moving forward for obvious reasons.
BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #774
Sometimes it's black and white

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post

Yes maybe it'll spread largely across the country, or maybe we'll only see isolated hot spots.

Right now doesn't seem like the time for "WORST CASE SCENARIO" planning.
If health authorities do nothing and our hospitals get overwhelmed and there aren’t enough ICU and ventilators for the 5% who get really sick then there is hell to pay.

If by taking strong action and successfully quarantining those who get sick the virus isn’t much worse than the standard flu, then everyone says see it was all just hype.

Seems to me you still want to have contingency plans for the worst, and have a smart response while trying to dampen down the inevitable panic that will get whipped up by some.
Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Chief Pagan Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #775
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post
If health authorities do nothing and our hospitals get overwhelmed and there aren’t enough ICU and ventilators for the 5% who get really sick then there is hell to pay.

If by taking strong action and successfully quarantining those who get sick the virus isn’t much worse than the standard flu, then everyone says see it was all just hype.

Seems to me you still want to have contingency plans for the worst, and have a smart response while trying to dampen down the inevitable panic that will get whipped up by some.
I apologize, I didn't word that well. I mean that the general public doesn't need to prepare for a worst case scenario. I definitely want health authorities preparing.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #776
Cheat Death

I traveled to our Grand Rapids, MI office for a 2.5 day workshop on Tuesday. I saw my boss, who works in that office and was hosting the workshop, for roughly 2 minutes as she was leaving with flu like symptoms and has been down since. Later that day our leadership team from LA flew in and no one even mentioned it. Workshop went on and our biggest obstacle was confirming if x place had gluten free beer options.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #777
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
I'm in Colorado where there are no reported cases. I never get sick, but I went down for the count in December and early January with similar symptoms. It makes me wonder a little, though as full disclosure any time I get a muscle cramp I assume that it's polio.
My whole family got a weird disease about 2 weeks ago. Respiratory stuff, fever, exhaustion, but not much else. Now I'm wondering...
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #778
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
My whole family got a weird disease about 2 weeks ago. Respiratory stuff, fever, exhaustion, but not much else. Now I'm wondering...

We are going to need a CP RIP mega thread.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:01 PM   #779
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post

I feel like Costco people get off on this kind of shopping in some weird way. The vibe is always kind of a low-grade buying panic to get to stuff before other shoppers and maneuver those giant carts around. And then people get in fistfights over samples and stuff from all the tension. It's like the closest thing suburbanites get to the hunts our ancestors used to go on.

So when a real buying panic hits the Costco center of their brain lights up like a Christmas tree and they just have to go fight it out.
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #780
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan View Post

From the reddit thread posted earlier:

Quote:
"China’s bold approach to contain the rapid spread of this new respiratory pathogen has changed the course of a rapidly escalating and deadly epidemic. In the face of a previously unknown virus, China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious, agile and aggressive disease containment effort in history. China’s uncompromising and rigorous use of non-pharmaceutical measures to contain transmission of the COVID-19 virus in multiple settings provides vital lessons for the global response. This rather unique and unprecedented public health response in China reversed the escalating cases in both Hubei, where there has been widespread community transmission, and in the importation provinces, where family clusters appear to have driven the outbreak."

"Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China. These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans. Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures."
I don't think the US could ever lock down a whole city (the size of NYC) like China. People just wouldn't stand for it here. But it's very likely we could be doing more to slow the spread - if we had any idea how bad the spread actually is at the moment.