Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Hall of Classics
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-09-2009, 03:32 PM  
Supporter

What would you do if your neighbor....

Ok, as some of you have heard me complain before, the neighbors who live behind me\across the street installed a 10ft lamppost in their front yard. It is excessively bright. I by that I mean it outshines the streetlights easily. The ligh illuminates the entire backside of my house meaning it shines right through my dining room window and bedroom window. I cannot sit on my deck when it is on as it is like having a light shined righ tin your face.

So, what I have done so far....I tolerated it and paid $500 to put in a tree to help block it. That does a meh job. So I thought oh well until....CHRISTMAS TIME! What is so special about CHRISTMAS TIME and the Lamp? I will tell you....

The people put exterior x-mas lights on their home and guess what...they had to turn off their light so they could be seen. Day after x-mas the light was back on in all of its blinding beauty.

So I finally looked up the code and found an "Unlawul Illumination" code that states basically your light cannot shine across your property line to the point it is a nuisance. So I filed a complaint with the city.

The city in turn said this is an exception to municiple code and they forwarded it to the Police. The Police contacted me and said they are waiting for the blessing from the city prosector to allow a citation. This is where it gets good...

If they do get the blessing, I of course have to sign a complaint and possibly appear in court to have the light dimmed or removed.

I am half willing to accept reimbursement for the $500 for the tree I put in, though that does me no good in the winter. The wife says I should let it go. My best friemd says "**** em' they should of thought about that when they put in the light".

So would you follow it all the way to court? Or am I being a bigger dick than usual?

Updated: Talked to him, asked him to either wait until 10:00 to turn it on or get a dimmer bulb.....light was off last night so he is being cool though I could tell by his town he wasn't happy about the purpose of my visit

Last edited by petegz28; 01-10-2009 at 10:53 PM..
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #211
Quit your bullshit

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
If I even half-thought you were even close to sincere in this post I might humor you. You are defending a situation you know little about and trying to prove how tough you are in the process.

You are the guy who found the smallest, weakest kid and picked on him to make yourself feel tough. Little late for "I was the good guy" role.

What is to defend? He put up a light that breaks the law, I turned the other cheek and forked over $500 to avoid having to have him take it down or whatever and then decided to go to the city in efforts admittedly to sort of be a dick. And I still say a dick move on his part was deserving of such. But when it got to the point that it would involve police and such I didn't do it. You just wanted to sit here and take shots at me so you can show us all what a manly-man you are.

And I have found in my experience, guys that do that are usually the biggest pussy around. And usually the guy who everyone says is the real pussy (not pointing to myself) is the one who is more man than most if not all of us.

It doesn't take a man to talk tough, espeically on a message board. And it is always real easy to tell someone else what to do when you are in no way involved.

Now go pump your iron or Zach or whatever manly thing it is you do.
This isn't about me at all, and I'm not the one trying to make it about me. You're trying to deflect it towards me because you were in the wrong.

You are a coward, and that is fine. Cowardice, in and of itself, doesn't really have much impact on others.

The problem is that you are also passive-aggressive. You are the type of person who makes life more difficult for the achievers of the world. The little temper-tantrums that you, and people like you, throw cause messes that the rest of us have to clean up.

This guy put a light in his yard that may or may not be brighter than the city allows. I am betting that it's not based on the fact that nobody complained in 5 months, and that the city has not cited him.

In your mind, you built this up into something that it wasn't. You made him out to be some inconsiderate prick who couldn't give a rat's ass about anyone but himself. You tried to have him cited by the city, but you stopped because you didn't have the balls to sign the complaint. You discussed destroying his property by shooting out the light. You even wasted $500 planting a stupid tree to block the light.

You did just about everything short of acting like a normal human being and asking him to turn it off at night.

As soon as this guy realized that his light was bothering someone else, he agreed to turn it off. You still rail on this guy and call him an asshole. If this guy had put up something truly over the top, that would be one thing. I've seen the pictures, though. It's borderline at worst. I'll take your word for it that it was a nuisance, but it's not like this guy is some crazy motherfucker for putting that thing up in a civilized society.

It's crap like this that ties up the courts and wastes the public's money. You're the type of guy who would sue Burger King because you got a regular Coke instead of a Diet Coke.

You are the smallest, weakest kid. There's no doubt about that. I'm not picking on you, though. I'm holding a mirror up in front of you because you are sorely lacking self-awareness.

I'm the kind of guy who would stick up for the weakling when he was getting his ass kicked, but I'd let him know that these things happen when you remind the teacher that she forgot to assign homework. Maybe the dork doesn't deserve everything he gets, but there's usually an element of bringing it upon himself.

If that guy would have told you to go F yourself, I would completely defend you, but he didn't. He immediately turned it off at night. Give him a break and get a life.
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #212
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
This isn't about me at all, and I'm not the one trying to make it about me. You're trying to deflect it towards me because you were in the wrong.

You are a coward, and that is fine. Cowardice, in and of itself, doesn't really have much impact on others.

The problem is that you are also passive-aggressive. You are the type of person who makes life more difficult for the achievers of the world. The little temper-tantrums that you, and people like you, throw cause messes that the rest of us have to clean up.

This guy put a light in his yard that may or may not be brighter than the city allows. I am betting that it's not based on the fact that nobody complained in 5 months, and that the city has not cited him.

In your mind, you built this up into something that it wasn't. You made him out to be some inconsiderate prick who couldn't give a rat's ass about anyone but himself. You tried to have him cited by the city, but you stopped because you didn't have the balls to sign the complaint. You discussed destroying his property by shooting out the light. You even wasted $500 planting a stupid tree to block the light.

You did just about everything short of acting like a normal human being and asking him to turn it off at night.

As soon as this guy realized that his light was bothering someone else, he agreed to turn it off. You still rail on this guy and call him an asshole. If this guy had put up something truly over the top, that would be one thing. I've seen the pictures, though. It's borderline at worst. I'll take your word for it that it was a nuisance, but it's not like this guy is some crazy motherfucker for putting that thing up in a civilized society.

It's crap like this that ties up the courts and wastes the public's money. You're the type of guy who would sue Burger King because you got a regular Coke instead of a Diet Coke.

You are the smallest, weakest kid. There's no doubt about that. I'm not picking on you, though. I'm holding a mirror up in front of you because you are sorely lacking self-awareness.

I'm the kind of guy who would stick up for the weakling when he was getting his ass kicked, but I'd let him know that these things happen when you remind the teacher that she forgot to assign homework. Maybe the dork doesn't deserve everything he gets, but there's usually an element of bringing it upon himself.

If that guy would have told you to go F yourself, I would completely defend you, but he didn't. He immediately turned it off at night. Give him a break and get a life.
Ok tough guy...if you say so

That was a pretty impressive temper tantrum you just threw yourself...

Keep telling us how much of a cool and tough guy you are......I know I am impressed
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 PM   #213
FINALLY! The wait is over.

Hope you've all enjoyed your evening.
Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mr. Flopnuts is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #214
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts View Post
Hope you've all enjoyed your evening.
I think Saul is feeling guilty about taking it up the ass from someone so he decided to use me to show how much of a man he really is to deal with his own personal guilt.

Glad I could help.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #215
Quit your bullshit

Quote:
I think Saul is feeling guilty about taking it up the ass from someone so he decided to use me to show how much of a man he really is to deal with his own personal guilt.

Glad I could help.
Way to make it about me again.

You started the thread, Braveheart. Have fun living out the rest of your cowardly little life, always plotting behind the scenes against those who have wronged you. You'll show them. They'll be sorry...someday.

Shouldn't you be somewhere shooting up a school?
Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.Saul Good is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #216
For The Glory Of The City

Quote:

Glad I could help.
Creepy post.

You are a strange guy.
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #217
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Good View Post
Way to make it about me again.

You started the thread, Braveheart. Have fun living out the rest of your cowardly little life, always plotting behind the scenes against those who have wronged you. You'll show them. They'll be sorry...someday.

Shouldn't you be somewhere shooting up a school?
you crack me up, I will say that. I admitted even in my OP I am a dick. But you my friend, you have some severe insecurity issues. Now isn't it time you put on your cape and go defend the defenseless there, Superman?

Last edited by petegz28; 01-10-2009 at 11:39 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #218
Banned

Stab him to death with a giant icicle and melt the evidence.
Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.Thig Lyfe threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:28 PM   #219
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Zach| View Post
Creepy post.

You are a strange guy.
Touche, I should of worded that a little better, I must admit.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 PM   #220
Veteran

This happened to me a couple of years ago. The house next to me sold and a new neighbor moved in. He noticed an empty socket on his deck and put a bulb in it. Little did he know that the prior owner took the bulb out because it was faced at my bedroom.

When they turned it on for the 1st time I went next door and alerted them that it was not acceptable. They turned the light off. A couple weeks later they turned the switch on again which caused me to again go next door to let them know about the problem.

They again turned the light off and removed the bulb that faced my bedroom. They still switch their deck lights on and I haven't been there since because the lights dont face my window.

My guess is that you should have gone over and told them of the problem before contacting the authorities. They might not have known it bothered you and then when you didn't go over and tell them then they felt re-assured it was OK.
Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.Mojo Rising is not part of the Right 53.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #221
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo Rising View Post
This happened to me a couple of years ago. The house next to me sold and a new neighbor moved in. He noticed an empty socket on his deck and put a bulb in it. Little did he know that the prior owner took the bulb out because it was faced at my bedroom.

When they turned it on for the 1st time I went next door and alerted them that it was not acceptable. They turned the light off. A couple weeks later they turned the switch on again which caused me to again go next door to let them know about the problem.

They again turned the light off and removed the bulb that faced my bedroom. They still switch their deck lights on and I haven't been there since because the lights dont face my window.

My guess is that you should have gone over and told them of the problem before contacting the authorities. They might not have known it bothered you and then when you didn't go over and tell them then they felt re-assured it was OK.
For the record, the guy was never once contacted by the city or police. No one has talked to him that I know of, other than myself. Although I have a feeling the people across the street from him are probably thanking me. Either way the light is off. And really I feel bad cause I just asked him to keep it off until 10:00.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:48 AM   #222
The 23rd Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ View Post
When we first moved in, the neighbor directly behind us had a fountain that sprayed the block wall between our properties. One day a man who worked for the builder was at our house and mentioned that this persistent water would harm the blocks. Since I was at work my wife decided to walk around the corner and knock on their door and tell them about it.

Amazingly, my 5' tall wife, with no defense other than our then 2 y/o daughter, was able to convince the tall black man - a firefighter it turns out, and heckuva nice guy - to move his fountain.

We're crazy like that.
We all know why your wife approached that black man, and it wasn't because your wall was wet.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #223
The 23rd Pillar

This thread made me realize that I've got a super-nova-bright constellation of 5 lights in my front yard. I think I've got either 75 watt or 100 watt bulbs in each of them. It really lights up the place well. I wonder how many of my neighbors are living lives of secret agony.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #224
Supporter

Some of you could just invest in a shade or curtain and stop being douchebags to your neighbors.

I've got a douchebag for a neighbor, but at least I let him proove it before getting mad.

I'll really get even with his ass this spring after I finish landscaping after the remodel that irritates him so much. I'll probably even string some solar powered lighting around that will make him think he's looking into an arc welder without a mask.

Thanks for the idea.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #225
Quit your bullshit

Quote:
I have a feeling the people across the street from him are probably thanking me.
So you're a hero in your own mind. Kudos.

They are probably trying to work up the courage to knock on your door and say thanks. Don't take it personally if they just send you a letter, though.