Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 PM  
Threepeat!

Chris Hewitt for DC Anyone?: Current Secondary Coach of the Ravens

Christopher Horace Hewitt (born July 22, 1974) is a former National Football League defensive back who is currently the secondary coach of the Baltimore Ravens. Hewitt played professionally for three seasons with the New Orleans Saints. After eight seasons on the coaching staff of the Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team, Hewitt was the special teams coach for the Baltimore Ravens and was the assistant secondary coach for the 2014 season.

Hewitt was born in Kingston, Jamaica and grew up in Englewood, New Jersey, where he attended Dwight Morrow High School. He played for the Cincinnati Bearcats football team at the collegiate level. Hewitt's 31.50 kickoff return average in the 1993 season ranks second on the all-time rankings for the Cincinnati Bearcats, while his 742 career kickoff return yards rank ninth and his 28.54 career yards per kickoff returns place him first on the school's rankings.

Hewitt played as a defensive back and on special teams for the New Orleans Saints in 1997, starting two games and finishing the season with 12 tackles and a fumble recovery as a defensive back. In 1998, he again started two games and had 9 tackles and two sacks. In his third and final season with the Saints, Hewitt was limited to one tackle and a sack.

He joined the coaching staff at Rutgers under Greg Schiano, where he spent eight years, including as running backs coach and defensive backs coach. As part of the NFL's Minority Coaching Fellowship Program, Hewitt worked on the staffs of the Cleveland Browns and Philadelphia Eagles, as well as the Ravens, who hired him in February 2012 as the team's assistant special teams coach. Hewitt was brought into the Ravens by head coach John Harbaugh, who had been Hewitt's special teams coach when he was playing at the age of 17 as a freshman at the University of Cincinnati. Hewitt was part of the Ravens coaching staff for the Raven's victory at Super Bowl XLVII in 2013, which was played in New Orleans at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome, where Hewitt played in the NFL with the Saints.

A seventh-year coach for the Ravens, Hewitt has been the secondary coach for arguably the NFL’s top passing defense in the league for the last two years. Previously serving as their defensive backs coach, Hewitt has helped turn the Ravens secondary into a ball-hawking, stifling group.

Running a multitude of coverage shells, Hewitt’s attacking, aggressive style with a secondary group lacking top-end talent has been able to keep offenses on their toes and support a blitz-heavy front.

Likely running an aggressive, shifting defense, Hewitt would be a bold hire. Reid would certainly be counting on his ability to install a complex scheme and maximize personnel as a defensive coordinator. If that risk ended up paying off, there is high-end potential for a Hewitt-led stop unit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Hewitt
https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/...ve-coordinator
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:59 PM   #31
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 View Post
Andy needs to get past the idea that he can only trust DC's with significant previous experience to serve in the "HC of the defense" role.

Bob Sutton had 40 years of experience when the Chiefs hired him and how did that work out.

Also if you bring in an up and coming guy to be DC and he leaves to become a HC in two years, you trust that he will build a quality defensive coaching staff (assuming Andy allows the new DC to have input on building his own defensive coaching staff), so that there are candidates to promote from within.
From your lips to Andy's ears, man.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:10 PM   #32
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pest View Post
Because Andy can control the offensive guys and help them out. He can't do that on defense because he doesn't know the defense. His best seasons were when he had Jim Johnson and Johnson ran the defense.
Jim Johnson had a completely non-descript career in the NFL before Reid made him the DC. He'd been a coordinator in the USFL. He had recently been fired as the DC in Indy after a 3-13 season where they had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. He came to Philly after a season as a linebacker's coach.

He was no 'HC of the Defense' when he was hired. He was a guy who Andy gave a shot who went about proving himself to be among the more innovative and effective DCs in the NFL.

If he's looking for his next Jim Johnson, he's forgotten who his last Jim Johnson was before he hired him.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:15 PM   #33
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Jim Johnson had a completely non-descript career in the NFL before Reid made him the DC. He'd been a coordinator in the USFL. He had recently been fired as the DC in Indy after a 3-13 season where they had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. He came to Philly after a season as a linebacker's coach.

He was no 'HC of the Defense' when he was hired. He was a guy who Andy gave a shot who went about proving himself to be among the more innovative and effective DCs in the NFL.

If he's looking for his next Jim Johnson, he's forgotten who his last Jim Johnson was before he hired him.
Then we need to hope that the Spags rumor is just that.....a ****ing rumor. Schefter is the only one who's said anything about it.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:17 PM   #34
MVP

I think the NFL coaching situation would be a lot more diverse if they simply changed the rules about interviewing coaches for promotions. Rather than just Assistant or Head coach designations, position coach to coordinator should be considered a promotion and so you should not need permission to interview.

There's a ton of positional coaches that are non-white and teams would love to give them coordinator jobs. From there, HC gigs happen for those who are successful.

Just saying.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:21 PM   #35
Threepeat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I like Hewitt a lot. I seriously doubt:
1)The Ravens want to allow him and other members of their staff to go to what looks like an AFC powerhouse for the next decade
2)Reid and Veach want to be looking for a DC next year or the year after.
Can't Andy use the "Assistant HC/DC" designation? Seems like that's been used as a workaround before.
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Meck View Post
I think the NFL coaching situation would be a lot more diverse if they simply changed the rules about interviewing coaches for promotions. Rather than just Assistant or Head coach designations, position coach to coordinator should be considered a promotion and so you should not need permission to interview.

There's a ton of positional coaches that are non-white and teams would love to give them coordinator jobs. From there, HC gigs happen for those who are successful.

Just saying.
For the most part teams will grant permission for their assistants to interview elsewhere unless said assistant asks the team to 'run cover' for them and deny it if they really don't want the gig.

I mean with both Hewitt AND MacDonald behind Martindale, surely the Ravens wouldn't outright deny permission to speak to either one of them. Now to be honest, I'm not sure MacDonald would bring us anything that Mike Smith couldn't (I really like Smith) but that'd be a pretty bad look if they just bury all their assistants from even interviewing. I'd absolutely request to interview them both and make them tell me no.

Then lets hear the NFL talk about how they can do more to advance minority opportunity in the coaching ranks.

Make. Them. Say. No.

But Andy won't. Because he's getting himself locked in the same vicious cycle that ended his last tenure. Lord...I'm really not looking forward to the rumors in about 2 years that he's going to take "a more active role in personnel decisions" should our defense not make exponential improvements.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #37
In Search of a Life

Quote:
For the most part teams will grant permission for their assistants to interview elsewhere unless said assistant asks the team to 'run cover' for them and deny it if they really don't want the gig.

I mean with both Hewitt AND MacDonald behind Martindale, surely the Ravens wouldn't outright deny permission to speak to either one of them. Now to be honest, I'm not sure MacDonald would bring us anything that Mike Smith couldn't (I really like Smith) but that'd be a pretty bad look if they just bury all their assistants from even interviewing. I'd absolutely request to interview them both and make them tell me no.

Then lets hear the NFL talk about how they can do more to advance minority opportunity in the coaching ranks.

Make. Them. Say. No.

But Andy won't. Because he's getting himself locked in the same vicious cycle that ended his last tenure. Lord...I'm really not looking forward to the rumors in about 2 years that he's going to take "a more active role in personnel decisions" should our defense not make exponential improvements.
What makes you like Smith? He hasn't really shown anywhere that he's much for the DC spot here IMO.

I just don't know man. Guys look terrible elsewhere, then go somewhere and are good. Martindale is an example. He was ass in Denver, then has this legit d in Baltimore.

You being a MU fan can probably comment on the Colts DC whose name escapes me at MU. Wasn't he awful there?

What the hell changes for these guys?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM   #38
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Andy needs to get past the idea that he can only trust DC's with significant previous experience to serve in the "HC of the defense" role.

Bob Sutton had 40 years of experience when the Chiefs hired him and how did that work out.

Also if you bring in an up and coming guy to be DC and he leaves to become a HC in two years, you trust that he will build a quality defensive coaching staff (assuming Andy allows the new DC to have input on building his own defensive coaching staff), so that there are candidates to promote from within.
You guys have a lot of false narratives of Andy. He's the same guy that tried to switch Juan Castillo from tight end coach to DC. It didn't work, but it showed Andy can think outside the box. This whole Andy will only hire an established coach who he's buddies with is as stupid as when 2 days ago people insisted Andy would never fire Sutton because they're buddies or whatever the dumb narrative is.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
What makes you like Smith? He hasn't really shown anywhere that he's much for the DC spot here IMO.

I just don't know man. Guys look terrible elsewhere, then go somewhere and are good. Martindale is an example. He was ass in Denver, then has this legit d in Baltimore.

You being a MU fan can probably comment on the Colts DC whose name escapes me at MU. Wasn't he awful there?

Eberflus. Did you see that defense of his get a train run on it in the divisional round? The Colts beat up on patsies - Eberflus still sucks.

As for Smith - I actually think that right up until the point he shit all over everything I have ever wanted in life, Dee Ford showed remarkable development this year. And I think the absolute implosion among the ILBs also helps Smith given that his unit (the OLBs) didn't implode and in fact showed development.

I also like what I heard from other player regarding his approach to the game; focus and intensity, technique. Basic shit but the kind of stuff you want to hear from your position coaches. The kind of things you hear from good teachers.

And don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have made him DC. I don't think anyone that had a direct hand in this defense deserves a promotion. But I think you can say that he did a good job this year without also giving him the captain's chair.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM   #40
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-post Tom View Post
Can't Andy use the "Assistant HC/DC" designation? Seems like that's been used as a workaround before.
I think that got kiboshed during the last round of CBA negotiations.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #41
▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post

The players.
-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.-King- is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:35 PM   #42
Replaced by a future HOFer !!

Quote:
Not sure why he has to go the total opposite direction on defense and hire a dinosaur.
doesn't want to babysit looking over the kid's shoulder to make sure he is doing it right.
Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefshrink is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #43
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Eberflus. Did you see that defense of his get a train run on it in the divisional round? The Colts beat up on patsies - Eberflus still sucks.

As for Smith - I actually think that right up until the point he shit all over everything I have ever wanted in life, Dee Ford showed remarkable development this year. And I think the absolute implosion among the ILBs also helps Smith given that his unit (the OLBs) didn't implode and in fact showed development.

I also like what I heard from other player regarding his approach to the game; focus and intensity, technique. Basic shit but the kind of stuff you want to hear from your position coaches. The kind of things you hear from good teachers.

And don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have made him DC. I don't think anyone that had a direct hand in this defense deserves a promotion. But I think you can say that he did a good job this year without also giving him the captain's chair.
I didn't listen to any of Smith's stuff so I wasn't sure about it.

They need someone to come in and focus on fundamentals and basic shit. Those three you said would be a good start. Focus, intensity and technique.

****ing Ford man. That was the most deflating thing I've ever sat thru.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM   #44
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
The players.
Hamas made a post about it a while back, but the best defenses just have the best talent.

Maybe the DC's just make them look more talented than they are, **** if I know.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:38 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by -King- View Post
You guys have a lot of false narratives of Andy. He's the same guy that tried to switch Juan Castillo from tight end coach to DC. It didn't work, but it showed Andy can think outside the box. This whole Andy will only hire an established coach who he's buddies with is as stupid as when 2 days ago people insisted Andy would never fire Sutton because they're buddies or whatever the dumb narrative is.
If Steve Spagnuolo had never coached under Jim Johnson and Andy Reid, do you think he would be the leading candidate based on his recent resume of...sucking?

If Spagnuolo is the hire, it is EXCLUSIVELY because of his past relationship with Andy. It damn sure isn't merit. Dude was in such high demand that he was unemployed in 2018.

I wasn't originally of the "Andy needs a crony hire" school because again - I respect the hell out of the guy and feel like he learned a lot from watching the Eagles fall around his ears. But man, if he hires Steve !@#$ing Spagnuolo I don't think there's any other conclusion to reach.