Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 01-01-2019, 05:26 AM  
Veteran

New Years Day Mock (3-4)

Chiefs appoint a new DC who keeps the team in a 3-4 alignment.

Berry plays well until the end of the season and has offseason surgery on his Haglund.

Extensions/Restructures/Trades/Cuts

Tyreek Hill – 5 years, $95m ($6.1m cap hit in 2019)
Chris Jones – 5 years, $81m ($6m cap hit in 2019)

Berry – Restructured to free up $6m of cap space in 2019

Tenders & Re-Signings

Tenders – Ellis, Kemp, Hamilton, Butker, Lucas

Re-signings

Anthony Sherman – 2019 cap hit $2m
Jordan Devey & Jeff Allen – Vet min
DeAnthony Thomas - 2019 cap hit $1.5m

Dee Ford – Franchise Tag ($15m cap hit)

Free Agent Signings

FS Landon Collins – 5 years $47m ($8m 2019 cap hit)
CB EJ Gaines – 3 years $14m ($4m 2019 cap hit)
DE Muhammad Wilkerson – 1 year $6m
TE Jesse James – 3 years $15m ($4m 2019 cap hit)

Draft picks:

1. CB Greedy Williams, LSU
2. DT Isaiah Buggs, Alabama
2. OLB Jaylon Ferguson, Louisiana Tech
3. WR D.K. Metcalf, Ole Miss
5. LB Khalil Hodge, Buffalo
6. OL Sean Rawlings, Ole Miss
7. RB Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma

Roster:

QB: Mahomes, Henne, Litton
RB: Williams, Williams, Anderson
FB: Sherman
WR: Hill, Watkins, Robinson, Metcalf, Thomas, Pringle, Kemp, Dieter
TE: Kelce, James, Ellis
T: Fisher, Schwartz, Rawlings
G: LDT, Erving, Wylie, McKenzie, Allen
C: Reiter, Devey, Murray
OLB: Houston, Ford, Speaks, Kpassagnon, Ferguson
DT: Jones, Wilkerson, Buggs, Hamilton
NT: Nnadi, Williams
LB: Hitchens, O'Daniel, Ragland, Niemann, Hodge
CB: Fuller, Gaines, Williams, Smith, Ward
S: Berry, Collins, Watts, Lucas, Murray, Sorenson
K: Butker
P: Colquitt
LS: Winchester

Sort of surprised this fits under the cap, but can't see anywhere I screwed it up in here

General thoughts: We're trying to keep the pass rushing trio of Ford, Houston and Jones together, I don't love paying Ford a big contract so we're tagging with the intent of letting him walk the following season and hoping Speaks or Ferguson can take a step forward when he goes.

We're also adding Wilkerson, who took a 1 year prove it deal only to lose the whole season to injury pretty much, maybe he takes another one. He could also add a lot of disruption if Jones is taking all of the double teams.

We're trying to add at every defensive level again and doing a minimal amount on offense this year, I think Jesse James is a good 2nd tight end although I have no idea if the contract I'm mocking is realistic?

I'm not doing much at ILB but I can't really see a decent FA option who fits into a 3-4.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-01-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Greedy is probably a top 10 pick. If we got him, I’d shit myself in the most positive of ways. There’s actually a few guys on the draft pick section that I think you probably have being taken too low.

But other than that, it looks like one hell of an offseason. Certainly would be a great 2019 team even if you tinkered with the picks.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
Greedy is probably a top 10 pick. If we got him, I’d shit myself in the most positive of ways. There’s actually a few guys on the draft pick section that I think you probably have being taken too low.

But other than that, it looks like one hell of an offseason. Certainly would be a great 2019 team even if you tinkered with the picks.
It's so hard to tell where people will go, I normally just take a site with a draft ranking for prospects and try and pick towards the middle of the range they give, e.g. I used Walter Football for this one, they have Greedy as the 4th best CB prospect going rounds 1-2, so I draft him at the end of the 1st. They have Buggs going 2-3, so I put him at the end of the 2nd etc.
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-01-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargem View Post
It's so hard to tell where people will go, I normally just take a site with a draft ranking for prospects and try and pick towards the middle of the range they give, e.g. I used Walter Football for this one, they have Greedy as the 4th best CB prospect going rounds 1-2, so I draft him at the end of the 1st. They have Buggs going 2-3, so I put him at the end of the 2nd etc.
Really? That’s surprising. Most mocks have Greedy as the top CB going in the top 10. Strange
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Special Teams ACE!!!

I think if we are sticking with the 3-4, we have to do more adjustments at ILB. If this is how our offseason goes, I see very little if anything to improve our run defense. Landon Collins and a presumably healthier Berry is nice, but we're still going to have huge problems if our ILBs keep playing the way they did this year. We either want to set the groundwork for changes of the future (drafting more high end talent at DL and ILB) or switch schemes that will hopefully make Hitchens not a piece of shit and then re-stock our depth.

Yes, our secondary sucked ass this year, but if we just improved our run defense from horrible to mediocre, I think we'd find ourselves in more 3rd and long opportunities to allow our pass rush to get work done.

I'm not against our first pick at all, by the way. The first pick should be about picking the best defender on the board regardless of position. Lord knows our CB depth is going to dwindle back down to zero when we figure that Nelson doesn't deserve any kind of significant extension from us.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
In Search of a Life

Greedy Williams will unfortunately be long gone before the Chiefs are on the clock.

Ferguson is a guy that I don't think is going to translate well to the NFL and I'm not excited about Buggs like others are.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran

Agree with your general plan here.
1. Recognizing roster weaknesses and trying to improve.
2. Keeping our current pass rush and adding to it a little.
3. Improving the secondary both with free agents and high draft picks.
4. Improving the DL both with free agents and draft pick.
5. Adding to the TE position. Kelce has been wonderful but we use enough double TE sets and Travis Kelce could always get injured, so team really needs a “good” secondary TE. Side Note Alex Ellis is no longer with team. He was waived 10/2 so Chiefs could sign DB help.
6. Recognizing we need a swing OT and seeing the value to the OL of Allen and Devey.
Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.
Old 01-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
Veteran

I think the Giants will keep S Landon Collins. - https://www.newsday.com/sports/footb...ins-1.25268777. Would love to have him though.

E.J. Gaines – I always love the story of local player coming home and playing well for KC. I would be concerned if E.J. can with stand a full NFL season. Last year he missed ten games with two different concussions. In 2015 he had a Lisfranc injury that caused him to miss the entire season. Hamstring, shoulder and knee problems caused Gaines to miss 5 games in each of 2016 and 2017 seasons. If Chiefs sign him, they shouldn’t commit a lot financially or even count on him being on the roster.
Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #9
Hockey Town

The Chiefs had a shot to sign EJ this year for nothing and never even spoke with him...don't think he's what they like.

Also if you are looking for a player to fall in the draft to help the Chiefs...lots of mocks have Dexter Lawrence falling to the Chiefs pick.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I think if we are sticking with the 3-4, we have to do more adjustments at ILB. If this is how our offseason goes, I see very little if anything to improve our run defense. Landon Collins and a presumably healthier Berry is nice, but we're still going to have huge problems if our ILBs keep playing the way they did this year. We either want to set the groundwork for changes of the future (drafting more high end talent at DL and ILB) or switch schemes that will hopefully make Hitchens not a piece of shit and then re-stock our depth.
I want to add at every level of the defense via draft and/or FA, but I just don't know how to add at ILB in a 3-4 This off season. There's no FA options I can see and after the first couple of good options go in the 1st I don't really know of any picks that would not be a project to take in the 2nd. I'd basically be hoping for improved play against the run from Hitchens, O'Daniel and Nnadi in their 2nd year with the Chiefs and also a new DC setting the defense up better against the run.

I'd probably rather the Chiefs actually switched to a 4-3 this off season, where maybe Hitchens and the defense in general will play better against the run in a 1 gap system.

The problem with that is I don't think Ford can play DE in a 4-3 and pass rush was the only strength of the D, so it sort of hurts to lose him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
The Chiefs had a shot to sign EJ this year for nothing and never even spoke with him...don't think he's what they like.

Also if you are looking for a player to fall in the draft to help the Chiefs...lots of mocks have Dexter Lawrence falling to the Chiefs pick.
The Chiefs prior plan at CB was dumpster diving (Scandrick, Amerson), maybe this year has taught them an average veteran CB is worth 4m a year.

I like Dexter Lawrence but in a 3-4 he would surely be a NT, and replacing Nnadi seems like a waste of resources? Even in a 4-3 he still takes Nnadi's spot.

Last edited by Chargem; 01-01-2019 at 04:59 PM..
Old 01-01-2019, 05:54 PM   #11
MVP

1. Aside from the fact that I'd think the Giants will at least franchise Landon Collins, I don't see a situation where you can get him for less than 10 per. In fact, I'd think he's going to get closer to a Berry contract than anything. He's the best safety in the game and has been since they day he got to the league. I'd trend towards 5 for 75 with a minimum at 5 for 60.

2. I'm not sure Pittsburgh lets James get away, but if they do he'd be a solid get for sure.

3. There is chatter that Greedy Williams could go much later in the round than original rankings indicated but even then he remains at least one of the top 3 CBs in the draft with Murphy and Baker. Given that those 3 are really the only legitimate 1st rounders at the position, I'd assume they will all be gone by the time KC picks. You might get a guy that's slated as a day 2 pick that runs really well at the Combine slide up, like Oruwariye, Dean, Ya-Sin, or Williams.

4. I'm extremely high on Buggs but it sounds like he's going somewhere between end of 1 and early 2. Indications are the same for Ferguson. I've, essentially, taken them out of mocks because of that reason. If Buggs is there late in 2 he's a no-brainer for me.

5. I think you have Hodge close to where he should be right now but if he runs well and shows he can cover he's going to skyrocket because his production is so good. That said, I think he might a round higher either way or at least not at the bottom end of the 5th.

6. I'm going to assume Rodney Anderson is going to get plucked earlier than the 7th. Some team will take a shot on this kid getting and staying healthy. He's a 2nd round back if not for that. I'd say 5th round is the floor.

7. All of this said, I think all of us have a fairly similar mindset on what the Chiefs should do and you show that here. Gotta get some help on the back end early and often and still put a little work into the defensive front and offensive skill positions. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will be re-tooling the Chiefs D, but if they can jump up to middle of the pack then they are doing something. With KC's offense, a middle of the pack D could mean undefeated this year.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:39 AM   #12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
1. Aside from the fact that I'd think the Giants will at least franchise Landon Collins, I don't see a situation where you can get him for less than 10 per. In fact, I'd think he's going to get closer to a Berry contract than anything. He's the best safety in the game and has been since they day he got to the league. I'd trend towards 5 for 75 with a minimum at 5 for 60.

2. I'm not sure Pittsburgh lets James get away, but if they do he'd be a solid get for sure.

3. There is chatter that Greedy Williams could go much later in the round than original rankings indicated but even then he remains at least one of the top 3 CBs in the draft with Murphy and Baker. Given that those 3 are really the only legitimate 1st rounders at the position, I'd assume they will all be gone by the time KC picks. You might get a guy that's slated as a day 2 pick that runs really well at the Combine slide up, like Oruwariye, Dean, Ya-Sin, or Williams.

4. I'm extremely high on Buggs but it sounds like he's going somewhere between end of 1 and early 2. Indications are the same for Ferguson. I've, essentially, taken them out of mocks because of that reason. If Buggs is there late in 2 he's a no-brainer for me.

5. I think you have Hodge close to where he should be right now but if he runs well and shows he can cover he's going to skyrocket because his production is so good. That said, I think he might a round higher either way or at least not at the bottom end of the 5th.

6. I'm going to assume Rodney Anderson is going to get plucked earlier than the 7th. Some team will take a shot on this kid getting and staying healthy. He's a 2nd round back if not for that. I'd say 5th round is the floor.

7. All of this said, I think all of us have a fairly similar mindset on what the Chiefs should do and you show that here. Gotta get some help on the back end early and often and still put a little work into the defensive front and offensive skill positions. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will be re-tooling the Chiefs D, but if they can jump up to middle of the pack then they are doing something. With KC's offense, a middle of the pack D could mean undefeated this year.
For the FA contracts, I'm not great at that so if Spotrac has an expected contract I just use their figure, which is what I did for Collins. Interestingly they have both Joyner and Clinton-Dix with a higher per year average. I started this draft thinking I would sign Clinton-Dix for considerably cheaper than Collins or Thomas could be had.

With James, I agree it would make sense for the Steelers to retain him, if I remember correctly they don't have a ton of cap space though and they are already paying McDonald.

I hate doing this, but I'd probably take best CB available at 1, or trade up a few spots if one of the big 3 fall into trade up range. It sucks to have to draft a specific position but it feels like the Chiefs have to get a CB with how the FA market is unless they lock up Darby before the draft.