Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM  
Kind of a mod

Investing megathread extravaganza

A place to talk about investing stuff.

Last edited by DaFace; 02-19-2021 at 06:35 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #5956
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Does anyone mind if I talk about options trading in here? I understand if it's seen as outside the purpose of this thread.

Anyway, I've just started out trying my hand at it, and I apparently need to work on my timing a bit. I bought some WMT calls for $214, and sold them yesterday for $346. I was pretty happy with my 62% profit in a few days.

Today, WMT is up more so I thought I'd check just to see what could have been (probably a bad idea). My WMT options would be worth $1260 today.
Work your system. DO NOT see what would have happened if you operated outside of your system. That leads to undisciplined trading.

At 62%, do your thing man.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:55 PM   #5957
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
I'm always slightly impressed with people that can effectively do options trading. I suck at it. I do have WMT stock though and it's done quite well.

Your 62% profit is nothing to sneeze at. Well done.
I'm very new at it, so it remains to be seen if I can do it effectively. So far, I'm only doing it with companies I trust (AMD, AAPL, MSFT, WMT, etc), and I'm doing calls about 3 weeks out. I buy dips, figuring that a company like Microsoft will go up sometime in the next 3 weeks, even if it isn't immediately.

So far, I've been at it for about a month and I've made about $900, while only investing about $1,000 at a time. If it does turn out to be an effective strategy, I'll start using more of my money for it.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #5958
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Work your system. DO NOT see what would have happened if you operated outside of your system. That leads to undisciplined trading.

At 62%, do your thing man.
I'm still figuring out my system, so I figure more info doesn't hurt. However, if the exact same thing happened again I would still sell at 62%.
MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.MagicHef wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 08-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #5959
Politically Incorrect

90% of pure options TRADERS lose money.

Most professional options traders are using them as hedges for their portfolio or an individual stock
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #5960
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post

Most professional options traders are using them as hedges for their portfolio or an individual stock
That's why I just stick with buying and selling the stock. I only lose 70-80% of the time.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:26 PM   #5961
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post

Hopefully I’m in the 10%.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:10 PM   #5962
MVP

Do you do covered calls? You can get blindsided in a hurry unless you're constantly watching your trades.
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #5963
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
Do you do covered calls? You can get blindsided in a hurry unless you're constantly watching your trades.
Not fully covered, I don’t own 100 shares of each, but I do own some. However, I am constantly watching.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #5964
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
Hopefully I’m in the 10%.
I think the odds are in your favor.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #5965
Fish are scared of me

So , is this a good strategy???

Find mutual funds that have a really good return over the last 1 year/ 3 year period.

Pull up their portfolio and look at their top holdings

Invest in their top three since they are driving the return they're getting.

For example : ARKW which is actually an ETF is 62% 1 year and 41% 3 years

Their top 3 holdings are TSLA, SQ, ROKU

All have blown away the market over the last year.

Thoughts?
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:23 PM   #5966
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post

Find mutual funds that have a really good return over the last 1 year/ 3 year period.

Thoughts?
I think its a sound strategy, opposite of the dogs of the Dow in a way.
neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:44 PM   #5967
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post

Thoughts?

It seems kind of brilliant to me.

I always fight the urge to assume that things will even out, and so I should buy the laggards since they'll eventually catch up. But it seems like the overperforming stocks will overperform for a decade or more without slowing down.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #5968
The Seated Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

I always fight the urge to assume that things will even out, and so I should buy the laggards since they'll eventually catch up. But it seems like the overperforming stocks will overperform for a decade or more without slowing down.
I agree. I've been going through my stocks lately and selling off the lagging ones and buying more of the ones that have done well. It's always tempting to think that the lagging ones are just a few days away from making more money, but it makes it pretty clear if I look at what I'd have now if I had made the switch a month or two ago.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:56 PM   #5969
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Yeah , there's some truth to riding the winners.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:25 PM   #5970
Fish are scared of me

My thought is also that if these funds are investing heavily in a certain stock then they are expecting it to do well