Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-23-2011, 11:58 AM  
Seeking the Truth daily

Off Season Lets Talk Guns, Part 2

Been a while since we had a guns n' ammo discussion.

Some of you are AR shooters Im sure. Im looking at a Colt 6920. Will be my first AR. Picked up a Glock this fall and really enjoy shooting it. Any feedback on that weapon?

Anyone else been in a buy/sell/trade mood with hardware?

Last edited by Bearcat; 07-28-2015 at 05:52 PM..
HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.HonestChieffan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:32 AM   #4771
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaVirus View Post
I'm also having a bit of a philosophical debate with myself.

I freely admit I am interested in this silver (or chrome, whatever) 1911 I came across simply because it looks cool.

Should I want a gun because it looks cool? It's only for self-defense so it's not something I'd ever want anyone to see.

For the gun enthusiasts here, how much does your opinion on the look of a gun play into your purchases?
looks matter to me but the feel and function are far more important.
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:41 AM   #4772
Supporter

Quote:
I don't know much about guns, but I have been looking into getting one, or more, for self-defense purposes. Better to have and not need..

I've already determined that I'll get a 12 gauge at some point for home defense. Seems like the Remington 870 is cheap, easy to maintain and perfect for what I'm looking for.

But lately I've been considering pistols as well.

I like the look of the 1911. From my understand, it was once military issue so I'd imagine they're pretty reliable. What's CP's opinion on them? Obviously I will shoot one myself to see how it feels, just curious about opinions.

Also, revolvers. What are the advantages/disadvantages of revolvers vs semi-autos? Any particular revolver CPers prefer to others? FTR, I think I'd prefer one with a shorter barrel.
I have an 870. It’s a couple decades old but I’d recommend it.

As far as pistols I can’t recommend enough to find a way to shoot some. There is so much variability in the way pistols shoot it’s hard to explain to a novice.

If you’re looking self defense, it doesn’t matter what you get proficiency through practice is what matters, regardless of the gun. Otherwise you’ll just be blowing a hole I know yourself or a loved one.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:43 AM   #4773
Supporter

Oh. And looks don’t matter to me. Only the shooting experience. Shooting a nice smooth operating weapon and getting rounds on target is so much fun, it gives me so much more utility than looking at a cool gun.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:00 AM   #4774
Ain't no relax!

Quote:
I don't know much about guns, but I have been looking into getting one, or more, for self-defense purposes. Better to have and not need..

I've already determined that I'll get a 12 gauge at some point for home defense. Seems like the Remington 870 is cheap, easy to maintain and perfect for what I'm looking for.

But lately I've been considering pistols as well.

I like the look of the 1911. From my understand, it was once military issue so I'd imagine they're pretty reliable. What's CP's opinion on them? Obviously I will shoot one myself to see how it feels, just curious about opinions.

Also, revolvers. What are the advantages/disadvantages of revolvers vs semi-autos? Any particular revolver CPers prefer to others? FTR, I think I'd prefer one with a shorter barrel.
If you're inexperienced, then a simple shotgun would be your best bet for sure. Can't go wrong with the 870.

For pistols, I'd recommend looking up local shooting ranges. Many will rent guns on location, so you can try a few different ones and see what works for you. I'm not a huge fan of the 1911 outside of nostalgic purposes. 7 round mag, so you don't have a ton of capacity. But if it's just for a home defense gun that you'll likely never have to use, it's not that big of a deal. Whatever you get, just practice with it a bunch and focus on safe handling.
Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:22 AM   #4775
The Constitutional Choo choo

Biggest difference between a automatic pistol and a revolver in a home defense situation.
Revolvers do not jam.
LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:28 AM   #4776
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveSteam View Post
Biggest difference between a automatic pistol and a revolver in a home defense situation.
Revolvers do not jam.
But they do take longer to reload....
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #4777

Thats true.
LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.LiveSteam is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:49 AM   #4778
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
But they do take longer to reload....
Definitely true, however the odds that you will be facing a true "gun fight" in a home defense situation are pretty slim IMO. Once rounds start going down range most of your basic shit bird burglars are going to beat feet.
raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.raybec 4 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #4779
Supporter

Quote:
Revolvers do not jam.
True, but a good pistol is not going to jam often either. I have put several thousand rds through my Sig M18 and have had only one jam and that was from a box of very cheap range brass.
penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.penguinz is too fat/Omaha.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:58 AM   #4780
Elway be drinkin' again

Quote:
I don't know much about guns, but I have been looking into getting one, or more, for self-defense purposes. Better to have and not need.................

This is what I have behind the night stand
https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/others/shockwave.html
Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.Shiver Me Timbers wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:13 PM   #4781
20 Menthol KOOLs

Alright, good info. Thank you, thank you.

I'm not involved in any nefarious shenanigans and I'm a city slicker so I can't imagine I'd need more than 6 rounds or so from a pistol in a home invasion. Plus, ideally, I'd have the shotgun for home defense if necessary in a sticky situation.

I do wonder about how quickly I'd be able to load up a revolver in a stressful situation, though, given the fact that I'm not an expert. Seems a semi auto might be a little more convenient in the dark and in a pinch..

Maybe I will reconsider the 1911, but will definitely make sure to test it, along with others, before I make the choice.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:14 PM   #4782

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinz View Post
True, but a good pistol is not going to jam often either. I have put several thousand rds through my Sig M18 and have had only one jam and that was from a box of very cheap range brass.
But it jammed..
Trying to clear a weapon when you're probably half awake with God only knows who is in your home.
That situation is eliminated with a revolver.

You also.need to think about neighbors if you have them?
If an attacker breaks into my house and comes up the stairs after us ( split entry ranch home) my neighbors children's bedrooms are going to be right in the line of fire.
So my bedroom gun is a Moss 835 with a short turkey barrel and the first round is loaded down 6 shot.after that its military grade buck shot I bought from Walmart.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:15 PM   #4783
20 Menthol KOOLs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver Me Timbers View Post
This is what I have behind the night stand

https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/others/shockwave.html

I figured it'd be between the Remington or the Mossberg. Looks like you can't go wrong with either choice.
ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.ThaVirus is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #4784
20 Menthol KOOLs

Quote:
But it jammed..
Trying to clear a weapon when you're probably half awake with God only knows who is in your home.
That situation is eliminated with a revolver.

You also.need to think about neighbors if you have them?
If an attacker breaks into my house and comes up the stairs after us ( split entry ranch home) my neighbors children's bedrooms are going to be right in the line of fire.
So my bedroom gun is a Moss 835 with a short turkey barrel and the first round is loaded down 6 shot.after that its military grade buck shot I bought from Walmart.

I have considered this, actually. I live in an apartment right now and that's the reason I do not own a gun yet. I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt someone who didn't deserve it.

I live in a nice area but I'm risking the biscuit with this lil janky ass pocket knife I keep by the bed. Any burglar is gonna get charged like butt ass naked Viking berserker with 3 inches of cold steel if they find themselves in my place lol

I am planning to get the guns for the future when I will move into a house.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:21 PM   #4785

Ya that's a perfect home defense weapon there SM- Timbers.