Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old Today, 07:37 AM  
It was not a fair catch

GFI keeps tripping

My GFI on my utility room is lit up and when I press reset, it trips again.

I have unplugged everything I think is plugged into it. Still trips. Rest of house is ok.

Bad GFI? Or real issue?
8 years old.

Can I replace it myself or call an electrician?

Had to plug sump and modem into other rooms. No biggie.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:39 AM   #2
legend

Burn the house down.
KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:43 AM   #3
legend

On a serious note, it's probably not a more serious issue, I'd try replacing the gfci before calling an electrician, 8 years is old enough it could just have been overloaded at some point causing it to go to shit.
KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.KurtCobain is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:45 AM   #4
Starter

Check all outlets on that circuit for device overload (could be in other rooms, other levels). I assume laundry in that utility room? Sometimes laundry areas get very moist from ldryer vent clogged with lint and moist air not escaping...probably old gfci though or circuit overload.
Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.Woogieman is not part of the Right 53.
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #5
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtCobain View Post
Burn the house down.
This is best course of action.

Or you could replace it....
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:52 AM   #6
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogieman View Post
Check all outlets on that circuit for device overload (could be in other rooms, other levels). I assume laundry in that utility room? Sometimes laundry areas get very moist from ldryer vent clogged with lint and moist air not escaping...probably old gfci though or circuit overload.
Sump, fish tank, freezer, water heater, modem, outside plug and garage outside lights.

No laundry.

displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 07:54 AM   #7
It was not a fair catch

I had 3 inches of rain yesterday

Old Today, 08:07 AM   #8
Kind of a mod

They're easy enough to replace (assuming you can change a light switch) if the GFCI itself is the issue, but there's a good chance it's actually doing its job and there's something else going on. They only cost maybe $20, though, so if you can't figure anything else out, it's probably worth trying a new one before you call an electrician.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:09 AM   #9
Wasted away again...

Shrooms or acid?
Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dartgod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:11 AM   #10
Supporter

I’m not an electrician…..

However, sometimes those gfi outlets go bad. Just shut the power off at the breaker box to be safe and it’s and easy replacement. If it’s not that, I’ll wager a wire is lose somewhere in that circuit.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #11
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedinMN View Post
I had 3 inches of rain yesterday

That's called a clue!

Maybe the outside plug or lights got some moisture.
Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:17 AM   #12
Arrowhead Trail of Tears

outdoor outlets on the same circuit? Had that problem with a bathroom gfci once
TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.TribalElder is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old Today, 08:46 AM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
Had the same issue. Breaker would trip, but only after rains. Had an outdoor "weatherproof" box that somehow would get wet internally with heavy rains. Replaced that and breaker problem vanished.
Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Meatloaf Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old Today, 08:49 AM   #14
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalElder View Post
Same!
SurroundedByMorons has disabled reputation
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #15
It was not a fair catch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
That's called a clue!

Maybe the outside plug or lights got some moisture.
One is on the porch, covered. The other lights are the front garage lights.

I am going to pull the GFI today and go to Home Depot. IF I can do it, great, if not, electrician