Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #49816
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
330 million Americans haven't been infected with SARS-CoV-2, thankfully.
This brings up an interesting point... how many people in the US have been infected?

The CDC estimated that there were 6-24 times as many infections compared to the confirmed numbers.

Let's play with those numbers for a sec... if we split the difference between 6x and 24x that gives us 15x but that's obviously too high so let's be conservative and go with 10x. The US currently is reporting 17.5 million confirmed cases. If the actual number is 10 times that than we have had 175 million infections so far. If Covid has a herd immunity threshold of 80% than you are looking at 65 million more cases to reach that level. (30 days at our current rate of infection).

Even if you go with their 6x figure... you have 17.5M x 6 = 105M which puts us at 80% in roughly 3 months. Does that seem accurate to most of you? If not, where is the problem? Do we have had a TON of false positives that are being included in the data or is the CDC is way off base regarding unreported cases and that number is more like 2x not 6x?
AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-17-2020, 03:51 PM   #49817
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
This brings up an interesting point... how many people in the US have been infected?

The CDC estimated that there were 6-24 times as many infections compared to the confirmed numbers.

Let's play with those numbers for a sec... if we split the difference between 6x and 24x that gives us 15x but that's obviously too high so let's be conservative and go with 10x. The US currently is reporting 17.5 million confirmed cases. If the actual number is 10 times that than we have had 175 million infections so far. If Covid has a herd immunity threshold of 80% than you are looking at 65 million more cases to reach that level. (30 days at our current rate of infection).

Even if you go with their 6x figure... you have 17.5M x 6 = 105M which puts us at 80% in roughly 3 months. Does that seem accurate to most of you? If not, where is the problem? Do we have had a TON of false positives that are being included in the data or is the CDC is way off base regarding unreported cases and that number is more like 2x not 6x?
I wish we knew. I think all we can say definitively at this point is that no one has been able to get to the point that cases are naturally declining due to previous infections resulting in something resembling herd immunity. Otherwise, we shouldn't be seeing spikes in places like NYC, Louisiana, etc. who were in such rough shape early on.

It's possible that the antibody studies were detecting low levels that didn't actually grant immunity or something like that.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:02 PM   #49818
Life is changing..

20 yes votes
0 no votes
1 abstain

Moderna EUA here we come!!
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #49819
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I wish we knew. I think all we can say definitively at this point is that no one has been able to get to the point that cases are naturally declining due to previous infections resulting in something resembling herd immunity. Otherwise, we shouldn't be seeing spikes in places like NYC, Louisiana, etc. who were in such rough shape early on.

It's possible that the antibody studies were detecting low levels that didn't actually grant immunity or something like that.
I think Fauci was asked that during the Pfizer approval time a couple of weeks ago. Counting the people who have already been infected, what % of Americans need to be vaccinated to achieve herd immunity and return to normal life.

He said a minimum of 60% but qualified it that it could be a lower number because we just know how many people have had covid already but we didn't test them. If anything, the % needed will go down.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:15 PM   #49820
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
20 yes votes
0 no votes
1 abstain

Moderna EUA here we come!!
Has anyone put out any sort of concrete schedule for U.S.-bound doses of Pfizer and Moderna? I've seen production numbers, and I've seen U.S. allocation numbers, but I haven't seen anything that combines them into an actual timeline.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #49821

Quote:
Has anyone put out any sort of concrete schedule for U.S.-bound doses of Pfizer and Moderna? I've seen production numbers, and I've seen U.S. allocation numbers, but I haven't seen anything that combines them into an actual timeline.
Gupta said on CNN that between Pfizer and Moderna that he feels confident that 40 million doses are out the door and into arms. 20 million people by the end of the month will have at least 1 shot of the vaccine.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:20 PM   #49822
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Answering my own question, here's an article that gets at some of it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...-start-2020-11
Old 12-17-2020, 04:25 PM   #49823

Quote:
Answering my own question, here's an article that gets at some of it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...-start-2020-11
I hope thats not just a rosy, hopeful prediction. If thats real, we could be close to "normal" by summer.

Slaoui estimated that the US could immunize 100 million people by the end of February. That would require another 60 million doses to be distributed in January, followed by 100 million in February.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:26 PM   #49824
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
I hope thats not just a rosy, hopeful prediction. If thats real, we could be close to normal" by summer.

Slaoui estimated that the US could immunize 100 million people by the end of February. That would require another 60 million doses to be distributed in January, followed by 100 million in February.
I think it's a bit optimistic, but not out of the question. I think the big question marks are around the AstraZeneca and J&J vaccines. Those are both a little more iffy in terms of efficacy, but they're far easier to manufacture and distribute. If both of those come through, I think we'll be in good shape. But Pfizer and Moderna can't do that quickly alone.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:32 PM   #49825
"Think BOOM!"

I wonder what the curve is going to look like once we get above, say, 50% vaccinated.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #49826
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I wonder what the curve is going to look like once we get above, say, 50% vaccinated.
I bet we'll see plenty of CASES until we get up toward 60-70%, but in theory we should see DEATHS start to drop VERY soon (maybe even by the end of January). That's the hope at least.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #49827
Starter

Quote:
Gupta said on CNN that between Pfizer and Moderna that he feels confident that 40 million doses are out the door and into arms. 20 million people by the end of the month will have at least 1 shot of the vaccine.
One of those arms will be mine at 8am in thc morning.
LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.LTL is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 4 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:38 PM   #49828
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post

I have seen several estimates that 30% of the population has been infected.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 12-17-2020, 04:43 PM   #49829
Cheat Death

Quote:
We are averaging two American citizens dying every minute of every day from Covid-19.
For context, someone is shot (not necessarily killed for transparency) every 2 minutes in Chicago. Yes, I understand bullets aren't contagious, but hopefully our diligence gets redirected once society has hauled everyone to the Covid finish line.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:44 PM   #49830
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
I bet we'll see plenty of CASES until we get up toward 60-70%, but in theory we should see DEATHS start to drop VERY soon (maybe even by the end of January). That's the hope at least.
While that would be fantastic, I'm not seeing how deaths are going to decrease while cases are increasing. What am I missing?
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.