Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 08-04-2020, 05:40 PM  
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

Charvarious Ward was playing blind... but not anymore

This is crazy, man.

Quote:
Chiefs cornerback Charvarius Ward has reason to believe he’ll be a different player now

Charvarious Ward played cornerback and covered some of the world’s best receivers and did it well and helped his team win a Super Bowl — and could barely see. [ ]

That’s a hell of a sentence to type, even in a year when dang near anything seems to be true, but here we are, on the phone with the Chiefs’ top cornerback asking about one of his five senses.

“I finally can see,” he said. “First time being able to really see good.”

Ward had LASIK surgery on March 10, which turned out to be perfect timing with many elective surgeries being limited in the days after because of the conronavirus pandemic.

He first publicly mentioned his bad eyesight in a conversation in January, and the response from that column included eye surgeons offering to fix him for free. He chose one in Indianapolis, but he showed up with a bigger problem than the doctors may have figured.

Ward remembered them saying he had one of the worst conditions possible for the surgery, with problems of both far-sightedness and near sightedness.

“It’s real complicated,” Ward said. “I can’t really explain it.”

Bad vision has been part of Ward’s life as long as he can remember. He repeated kindergarten, actually, because teachers thought he had a learning disability. Turned out he just needed glasses. He ended up skipping a year of high school and graduating with his original class.

But even as an adult, Ward would have to squint excessively to see. Sometimes, the problem was so bad he went cross-eyed. He’d get headaches.

“I couldn’t see a thing, man,” he said. “I couldn’t see nothing.”

Now, he’s 20-20. Doesn’t need contacts to watch TV. He can drive at night. He can see a football and, yes, this really is a crazy story.

Ward, undrafted out of college, made his way onto the roster and then into starting lineup of an eventual Super Bowl champion without being able to see the football he was trying to keep his man from catching.

Here’s his answer to the question you’ve probably been asking since the start of this column: How the hell did that happen?

“God blessed me with some natural talent, natural abilities,” he said. “I could see a human body that’s right in front of me, but once that ball is in the air, who knows what’s going to happen? I could see it when it first got in the air, but once it starts traveling, I just lose track of it and have to pray I put my hands in the right spot. I just have to pray the ball comes back in my line of sight.”

Ward does not view this as a cure-all. You might remember the wild play he gave up last season on third and 17 against the Batimore Ravens, when Lamar Jackson’s desperation pass hung in the air. Ward should have intercepted it. He was in perfect position. But Ravens receiver Willie Snead beat him to the ball.

Knowing what we know now, it’s easy to wonder if better vision would’ve allowed Ward to make that play.

Ward says no.

“I’m not going to blame that on that,” he said. “I didn’t know anybody was around me, so I was going to let the ball come down.”

OK, cool, hard not to respect that.

But corrected vision does make you wonder whether Ward can be a different player now. He ranked first in passer rating and reception percentage allowed, and third in yards allowed and yards per coverage snap among cornerbacks with 1,000 or more snaps last year, according to Pro Football Focus.

But in all those snaps, he had just two interceptions.

Ward talked all last season and this offseason about wanting to become a better playmaker. He wants interceptions, not just good coverage and, well, at the risk of stating the obvious it would seem that being able to see what he’s supposed to catch is a good start.

“This year I’m trying to intercept everything,” he said. “I’m not going to be scared to turn my head around. Because I know now I can see the ball and stay in contact with the receiver at the same time. So I feel like it’s going to make me a way better playmaker, which is what we need in the secondary: turnovers.”

Ward is scheduled to be a restricted free agent after this season. The Chiefs have been diligent in signing their best players long-term — Patrick Mahomes and Chris Jones most famously, but Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Mitchell Schwartz, Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark are all under contract through at least 2021.

Ward is the team’s best player who is not secured beyond this season. There are a million factors that will help decide his future. Many of them are out of his control.

He sees this season — and his improved vision — as a way to further establish himself.

“I just want to take the next evolution in my game and become one of the top corners in the game,” he said. “I feel like I’m up there right now. I’m just kind of underrated. Don’t too many people know my name. I just want to get my name on the TV screen and have people know my name.”

Last edited by Dante84; 08-04-2020 at 06:30 PM..
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #2
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Reprint 'em.

In really small font.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 7 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Supporter

mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.mlyonsd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Special Teams ACE!!!

Guys Marc Boerigter is going to explode. He just got eye surgery this offseason.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 05:59 PM   #5
Tossed Salad & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
Guys Marc Boerigter is going to explode. He just got eye surgery this offseason.
Can you get LASIK on your peeniss hole?

Asking for a friend.
Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dante84 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:06 PM   #6
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante84 View Post
Can you get LASIK on your peeniss hole?

Asking for a friend.
No reason why you couldn't use a laser on your penis, I guess. It's certainly possible.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #7
World's Best Boss

Ward may be the most under appreciated player on our roster.

Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:12 PM   #8
My Mamma Says

GOOD LUCK ON THE UPCOMING SEASON MR. WARD...
Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Kman34 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 12 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
In Search of a Life

My sources telling me William Bartee got LASIK recently
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefspants View Post
Ward may be the most under appreciated player on our roster.

Unbelievable that he performed as well as he did considering how bad his eyes were. I'll be very interested to see how his play improves this season.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #11
MVP

That's WILD!!
ThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThyKingdomCome15 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Banned!

Dude just got expensive expensive.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #13
Hello

I had lasik done February 24th. It's a game changer to no longer need contacts or glasses and it's nice to have peripherals.
Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sofa King is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-04-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
Roy E.

Re-sign him now before he balls out this season.
Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
Cheaterlover*

Eyes are funky. I had horrible vision, like 20/600. Something like a -16 diopter. I developed cataracts so they had to stick a little jackhammer needle in my eye, break up my natural lens, and insert a manmade lens. Funny thing is, your natural lens is a +15, so by breaking up the lens and sucking it out my vision became almost 20/20 with NO lens in my eye. The one they inserted is only about a 1 diopter. Even with astigmatism, previously I couldn't read a phone book unless it was literally one inch from my face, and now I can see almost perfectly with no glasses.
JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.JD10367 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.