Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 07-30-2020, 02:45 PM  
Hockey Town

Anyone ever experience burnout?

I feel like I'm there, I was there before Covid and feel like it's worse now. I legit have no motivation to do anything and I know I'm pessimistic and not fun to be around for the most part. If anyone wants further stuff I can deep dive but I need some advice because I feel like I'm stuck in the wallow not to escape.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #31
Banned

Yes. I straight up left the workforce last September due to it. And I appreciate other's honesty here. Many in my circle don't understand what I'm doing, which is nothing right now. I heavily considered counseling for it early on but just gave into letting time take charge. It's really the only way to get over it.

Last edited by eDave; 07-30-2020 at 07:32 PM..
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:40 PM   #32
Leto Atreides for Prez 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca View Post
I feel like I'm there, I was there before Covid and feel like it's worse now. I legit have no motivation to do anything and I know I'm pessimistic and not fun to be around for the most part. If anyone wants further stuff I can deep dive but I need some advice because I feel like I'm stuck in the wallow not to escape.
Yep. I'm there now for poker which kind of trickles over to everyday life. I haven't been playing near as much as I should. From 2013-2019 I was jazzed all the time to play. Now much less so. I don't know if related to Covid because I play 97% online, but who knew the human element was sorely needed to aid in the excitement.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:41 PM   #33
Cheat Death

I intentionally ****ed off my entire 20's before joining the rat race so I don't know about burnout per se but I've definitely struggled with work/life balance. I found balance in finding something that I like to do that doesn't involve anyone else, something personalized just for me.

Tomorrow I'm on PTO and am brewing a beer. I plan it weeks in advance from conceptualizing the recipe to purchasing ingredients to process creation to DIY equipment tweaks, all of which is a pleasant distraction and anyone close to me knows I'm not to be bothered with anything outside of a true emergency on that day. I'm not checking in, I'm not running it by anyone first, it's a day on the calendar I circle for me and it's something that challenges me to get better at which takes my entire focus away from everything else going on in life.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #34
Out Gunning CP's Fandom Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Smoke some weed.

Life is about how many ****s you've got to give, and sometimes it's good to just not give a ****. Roll with it, don't fight it imo.

You're going to get burned out of feeling burned out, so don't do anything stupid that you'll regret later.

Instead, remind yourself that emotions don't last forever. You WILL find the juice again at some point. The faster you get over it, the sooner you get to enjoying life again.

So stop caring so damn much and let the chips fall where they may.

Life has a way of working itself out. You'll be fine, remind yourself of that.

And stay out of D.C.
"You're going to get burned out on feeling burned out" - So true.
TEX has disabled reputation
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #35
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
Oh, and hit the gym. Or, buy some damn gym equipment.
I have been working out regularly for a couple of years, and that has helped these last few months. Shoot, I lost some weight and physically I feel great, so there's that I guess.
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #36
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
Yes. I straight up left the workforce last October due to it. And I appreciate other's honesty here. Many in my circle don't understand what I'm doing, which is nothing right now. I heavily considered counseling for it early on but just gave into letting time take charge.
Holy shit, how are you getting by? I've heard of people doing that, but I don't know how that would work...
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #37
Time Keeps On Slipping

Lack of motivation and constant feeling of fatigue and sadness/anger could be manifestations of depression.

As the hormone levels change in aging men, many go through this sort of thing.

My first step would be to see your doctor and get a referral for a good endocrinologist. It's possible you can fix this if your hormonal balance is restored.

If you played football in your youth or did anything that may have given you concussions, you're at a much higher risk of this hormonal imbalance.

Another sign of this are weaker boners or less of libido in general. I am not asking you to tell us how those things are going for you, but if you noticed a big difference, it's another reason to get your hormones checked.

If your hormones check out, maybe consider therapy/counseling like others have mentioned. If that doesn't work, you may want to try to take the medication route.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:48 PM   #38
Supporter

I've gone through what I call slumps, where I'm burned out and don't feel much happiness in things where I should.

I just got back from the longest vacation I've taken in a long long time, expecting to be rejuvenated, but I'm very fatigued. I do feel more relaxed.

When I'm in a slump where I'm struggling with motivation, Just ****ing make myself stay on my feet when I get home from work, change my clothes and go outside and "do 1 thing". I'll go work in my shop, or spray a tank of roundup or just accomplish 1 thing before I go let myself sit and do the family thing. I've struggled with relaxing for a long time, and have too many side hustles sometimes.

In short, I just make myself plow through it and stay busy and eventually come out on top.
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:53 PM   #39
Forever Royal

Unhappiness occurs when expectations don’t match with reality. It’s up to you to correct that imbalance whether it’s changing expectations, reality, or both.
mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven View Post
Holy shit, how are you getting by? I've heard of people doing that, but I don't know how that would work...
I'm all good now. Though I share others feelings about being burned out over Covid and pretty much stuck at home, away from friends.

I also stopped drinking and drugs when I opted out. Didn't make any sort of effort, just didn't feel like it anymore.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #41
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

First thing to do is get physical exercise every day. Best is first thing in the morning. Doesn't matter what your fitness level is. If you can walk half a mile do it every morning first thing. then get up to a mile. Then walk a mile and right afterward ride your bike that same mile.

If you already get activity every day increase it and keep pushing.

Everything in your life will be better if you get physical activity every day. Everything.
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:01 PM   #42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
First thing to do is get physical exercise every day. Best is first thing in the morning. Doesn't matter what your fitness level is. If you can walk half a mile do it every morning first thing. then get up to a mile. Then walk a mile and right afterward ride your bike that same mile.

If you already get activity every day increase it and keep pushing.

Everything in your life will be better if you get physical activity every day. Everything.
There was an episode of LA Law once that featured Arnie's morning routine before going to the office. It starts the episode. It's always stuck with me and I do none of it.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #43
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
IT industry by any chance? That shit will burn anyone out.
IT got me out of the funk of security work.
dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.dmahurin threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #44
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Yup.

Heard a quote once that was essentially "The problem is that people get everything they were after and suddenly realize that their dreams were too small..."

And that one hit hard. Professionally I spent 10 years pursuing a role I got. Now I have it and I'm boooooored. And stuck - ain't anyplace else to go here. But I damn sure don't want to start over either because it's probably just gonna be a repeat of the same cycle.

30 didn't bother me because I was on track; was ticking all the boxes and growing and developing and moving forward. 40's gonna bring me to my knees. Why? Because I feel like the last 5 years have just been spinning my wheels. And with COVID and shit it's been doubly bad because it's hard to fend off fatalism. How hard I work/don't work is irrelevant if X or Y passes or if the country continues to tailspin.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I try to contextualize it as best I can (look; my life's pretty damn good and this is truly just finding things to bitch about), but I think it happens no matter how successful/unsuccessful some people are.

Some people prefer the hunt to the spoils. And they're just perpetually restless souls. I'm reading Grant right now and man, that's Grant through and through - guy was miserable when he was content. He drank because of successes as often as failures.

I think Tomahawk has the right of it - you've gotta just find something else to chase and force yourself to chase it. A skill/hobby seems like a start. Maybe just start forcing yourself into activity when you're doing otherwise sedentary activities (only watch TV or play video games when you're on a treadmill, for instance).

I think it's pretty common.
Wow has that quote hit me hard. I'm about to transition to my 4th job in roughly 6 years. I keep eyeballing the big salary increases, while hoping that I'll get a commensurate amount of challenge to go with it. What I'm finding is I come in, kick ass and climb the mountain, then after about a year, I am not challenged enough and want something more. I'm about to start working for the VA, so I hope I'll be satisfied with the job security, benefits, and serving veterans. Just a bit terrified of this constant wanderlust and how its going to bite me in the ass someday.

As for the OP, working out helps a ton, and a little pot to settle the mind has always helped. Just don't overdue it. Stick to the weekends.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #45
Supporter

I hit the wall right around 46-48 years of age. What I did is I started saving money like crazy and built up a separate account with full knowledge on what my next step would be. That next step was to quit my job. I took about 2 years off just working on the honey do list but also things like fishing and golfing. Eventually I was ready to jump back into the workforce. I took a slightly lesser job but less stressful than my previous employment and am loving it. It doesn't hurt my attitude any that I have a little over 2 1/2 years until I retire.

Take some time for yourself. Worked for me.
TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.TrebMaxx threw an interception on a screen pass.