Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 09-24-2019, 03:49 PM  
MVP

****Official 2019-2020 NHL Season Thread****

Season begins a week from tomorrow, and the defending champs just traded Joel Edmundson and a prospect for Justin Faulk.

Who's up for back-to-back Cups?

OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.OnTheWarpath15 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #61
Kind of a mod

I think Zadorov just killed a man.

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:56 PM   #62
Would an idiot do that?

Just saw Cherry got fired. It's never a good idea to continue a sentence that starts with "you people"...

Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #63
MFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Just saw Cherry got fired. It's never a good idea to continue a sentence that starts with "you people"...
Didn't see Don going out this way... 85 years old, fired on Remembrance Day.
Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #64
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
Didn't see Don going out this way... 85 years old, fired on Remembrance Day.
I didn't think it was such a terrible thing to rant about (granted, he should just stick to hockey)... I mean, if he left out the "you people" and basically told Canada they should do more to support their vets, most people who are outraged might just agree.

My assumption after reading a couple of articles is if he would have apologized, he'd still have a job... but, he totally seems like the type of guy who would stand by what he said to the point of being fired over it.
Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bearcat is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #65
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

And that whole thing is so odd. People are crying 'racist!!!' but they also neglect to talk about who an 'immigrant' in Canada often is. Their immigrant population has a lot of Chinese and European imports.

So even if you give his rant it's most negative interpretation, you still have to make yet ANOTHER leap to assume he's just blasting away at non-white immigrants. And to get there you just have to...state it. There was nothing else in there referring to any kind of line of demarcation between 'brown people' and any other immigrants.

I dunno - maybe there's a history there. I mean he's an 85 year old curmudgeon so there's PROBABLY a history there. But on its face I didn't see anything fireable there. Just an old guy being pissy that 'kids these days' don't support their veterans the way previous generations did.

And man, axing the guy on Remembrance Day just seems brutally harsh. After 40+ years on the air, you couldn't have let the guy at least make a farewell broadcast?

I wonder if Bearcat's right and the 'debriefing' went really really poorly. If they brought him in a room and he said "hell yeah - !@#$ those sand jockeys...", I could see it ending this way. He almost had to have signed his own death warrant off the air.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #66
Would an idiot do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
And that whole thing is so odd. People are crying 'racist!!!' but they also neglect to talk about who an 'immigrant' in Canada often is. Their immigrant population has a lot of Chinese and European imports.

So even if you give his rant it's most negative interpretation, you still have to make yet ANOTHER leap to assume he's just blasting away at non-white immigrants. And to get there you just have to...state it. There was nothing else in there referring to any kind of line of demarcation between 'brown people' and any other immigrants.

I dunno - maybe there's a history there. I mean he's an 85 year old curmudgeon so there's PROBABLY a history there. But on its face I didn't see anything fireable there. Just an old guy being pissy that 'kids these days' don't support their veterans the way previous generations did.

And man, axing the guy on Remembrance Day just seems brutally harsh. After 40+ years on the air, you couldn't have let the guy at least make a farewell broadcast?

I wonder if Bearcat's right and the 'debriefing' went really really poorly. If they brought him in a room and he said "hell yeah - !@#$ those sand jockeys...", I could see it ending this way. He almost had to have signed his own death warrant off the air.
The quote that led me to that thought was “To keep my job, I cannot be turned into a tamed robot". Also found an article on the history of his controversial statements -- https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-ch...ents-1.4680505

As dumb as it is to give idiots on Twitter such power to get people fired, he should have just stuck to hockey and perhaps swallowed a bit of his pride.

I'll miss the suits and things like "bunch of jerks", crazy old guy.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:02 AM   #67
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Yeah, Cherry's history is foreign to me. He's always just been that grumpy old goat on Hockey Night that wears suits and shakes his fist at guys that wear visors. He's as crotchety as they come.

He's the walking embodiment of 'die a hero or live long enough to become a villain'. Guys like him rarely exit gracefully.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:12 AM   #68
Would an idiot do that?

Old 11-12-2019, 05:50 PM   #69
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Who is "you people"?
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:54 PM   #70
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
Who is "you people"?
Here's the full quote.

Quote:
"I live in Mississauga [Ontario]. Very few people wear the poppy. Downtown Toronto, forget it. Nobody wears the poppy. ... Now you go to the small cities. You people ... that come here, whatever it is -- you love our way of life. You love our milk and honey. At least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada. These guys paid the biggest price for that."
Presumably "you people that come here" is referring to immigrants to the country. Or at least he hasn't tried to clarify that assumption when he's been given numerous opportunities to do so.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-12-2019, 05:59 PM   #71
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Here's the full quote.

Presumably "you people that come here" is referring to immigrants to the country. Or at least he hasn't tried to clarify that assumption when he's been given numerous opportunities to do so.
Hell, he could be talking about tourists. Summer vacationers. Kinda vague really.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:29 PM   #72
MFIC

I blame the whole cancel culture sprung from social media. People have been calling for Cherry's head for years. He's a very polarizing character.
IMO - He represented the "old school" Canadian hockey mentality. Sure he'd call players "chicken Swedes", "bums" or "jerks", but he also did a ton for junior hockey, player safety, animal rights, etc...
He makes a poorly stated comment about supporting veterans, and because it could be construed as being anti-immigrant, he's fired.
I also think Sportsnet has been having some financial difficulties and this was an easy way to get rid of his contract. (They gotten rid of a bunch of older, more expensive, personalities over the past year).
Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.Gadzooks threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:37 PM   #73
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
I blame the whole cancel culture sprung from social media. People have been calling for Cherry's head for years. He's a very polarizing character.
IMO - He represented the "old school" Canadian hockey mentality. Sure he'd call players "chicken Swedes", "bums" or "jerks", but he also did a ton for junior hockey, player safety, animal rights, etc...
He makes a poorly stated comment about supporting veterans, and because it could be construed as being anti-immigrant, he's fired.
I also think Sportsnet has been having some financial difficulties and this was an easy way to get rid of his contract. (They gotten rid of a bunch of older, more expensive, personalities over the past year).
All he had to do was say, "I didn't intend to single out immigrants. Sorry for the confusion." He refused to do so, so it kind of is what it is.

I kind of feel like he was just tired of it and didn't really care if he got canned.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #74
MFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
All he had to do was say, "I didn't intend to single out immigrants. Sorry for the confusion." He refused to do so, so it kind of is what it is.

I kind of feel like he was just tired of it and didn't really care if he got canned.
Maybe be was tired of it, (I doubt it). Seems to me, he's one a stubborn old goat who refused to kowtow to a management group who were looking to get rid of his contract anyway.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #75
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Hey, I get to watch (most of) a Blues game tonight! First of the year! Gotta make some Ro-tel dip!