Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:01 PM   #14356
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
After watching this video, I just don't find those kinds of visualizations to be all that helpful. It really comes down to, "If people isolate, you break the curve. If you don't, everyone pretty much grows at the same rate."

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:03 PM   #14357

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It isnt even April yet.

You really feel confident saying we're going to see a nationwide increase in death rates for 30 more days?

**** man - that's going to yield, what, 50,000 dead per day by the end of April?

Yes, this will peak in April. If it doesn't then all this social distancing for 6 weeks stuff meant nothing and we were all ****ed either way.
I'm afraid it might not matter because it'll turn out that people really didn't follow the social distancing. The countries that shut this down were literally shut down. Temperature checks everywhere, etc. We haven't really done that. We see multiple examples a day from around the country where people are interacting in large numbers.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #14358
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
I never bought into that idea. Our general flu season is stretching further into the summer too. Like into July when it is consistently 100+

Normal flu actually never goes away.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #14359
Hockey Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk13 View Post
I'm afraid it might not matter because it'll turn out that people really didn't follow the social distancing. The countries that shut this down were literally shut down. Temperature checks everywhere, etc. We haven't really done that. We see multiple examples a day from around the country where people are interacting in large numbers.
I agree with that, there are enough people that don't give a **** to screw it all up.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:05 PM   #14360
Admitted Planet Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by eDave View Post
I never bought into that idea. Our general flu season is stretching further into the summer too. Like into July when it is consistently 100+
Well what I am referring to is places that are around the equator or where they are in or just coming out of summer are still having a lot of cases.
Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Chief Roundup has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 PM   #14361
Consuming CP souls

We really don't know anything. All those numbers thrown out are meaningless without more testing. Who knows how many of us have had the shit and don't know.
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:06 PM   #14362
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
Nobody actually knows though.
In glancing around, their model generally shows that everyone will level off by June. I assume that it's all based on social distancing rather than heat effects, which aren't well known.

The Bill Gates TED interview helped me wrap my mind around it a bit. Exponential growth is highly volatile, so if R0 > 1, it grows very, very rapidly. However, if we can get R0 < 1 due to social distancing, it shrinks very, very rapidly. So that's really all we're trying to do with social distancing - shrink R0 as much as possible.

Once we get it under control (hopefully with dramatically increased access to testing), we can start slowly easing back restrictions. Cases go up? Restrictions go back into place. Cases stay low? Restrictions can be eased. It'll be a dance while we continue to learn more and refine the approach and treatments.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:10 PM   #14363
I got Rice cookin in the micro

Quote:
that is what I am saying. Non of the people I know got to work from home nor take 2 weeks off. On top of that every other place I know is open except for bars and salons.
Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.Demonpenz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:12 PM   #14364
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Unemployment rates and baseline economic indicators say that yes,the vast majority of people have fundamentally altered their lives to address this.

'Multiple examples per day' is nothing resembling the hundreds of conferences involving thousands of attendees or dozens of sporting events involving tens of thousands of spectators every day.

If what we've done isnt enough, then there was never 'an answer' to be found.

We've done a shitload but for some, nothing will be. If only because their expectations were unreasonable to begin with.

It's a novel virus that attacks people's lungs. A bunch of people are going to die. That was simply inevitable.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #14365
Life is changing..

Quote:
Just watched the daily briefing... Anyone have a link for the 50 states that Dr. Birx showed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
The graph showing NY and NJ off on their own?
If anyone could find this chart I'd love to see it. My search efforts have been futile.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #14366

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Unemployment rates and baseline economic indicators say that yes,the vast majority of people have fundamentally altered their lives to address this.

'Multiple examples per day' is nothing resembling the hundreds of conferences involving thousands of attendees or dozens of sporting events involving tens of thousands of spectators every day.

If what we've done isnt enough, then there was never 'an answer' to be found.

We've done a shitload but for some, nothing will be. If only because their expectations were unreasonable to begin with.

It's a novel virus that attacks people's lungs. A bunch of people are going to die. That was simply inevitable.
You were never going to completely stop it. But it's likely it could have been stunted.

Singapore has like 3 deaths. Total. Yeah it's a country of only 5 million people but 3 deaths is nothing. That's the equivalent of about 200 deaths in America.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:18 PM   #14367
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
In glancing around, their model generally shows that everyone will level off by June. I assume that it's all based on social distancing rather than heat effects, which aren't well known.

The Bill Gates TED interview helped me wrap my mind around it a bit. Exponential growth is highly volatile, so if R0 > 1, it grows very, very rapidly. However, if we can get R0 < 1 due to social distancing, it shrinks very, very rapidly. So that's really all we're trying to do with social distancing - shrink R0 as much as possible.

Once we get it under control (hopefully with dramatically increased access to testing), we can start slowly easing back restrictions. Cases go up? Restrictions go back into place. Cases stay low? Restrictions can be eased. It'll be a dance while we continue to learn more and refine the approach and treatments.
Well said. And, I wish every American (and every human) understood and would do EVERYTHING they can to make the bold become reality. I know many people feel helpless in this. They aren't. We can't kill this bug yet, but we can take away its "purpose." It isn't intelligent. It isn't even alive. All of us are the latter. In the words of MJK, do what it takes to step through, people.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #14368
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
If anyone could find this chart I'd love to see it. My search efforts have been futile.
Sorry no. Part of the brief today. Perhaps they'll put it up later. What question(s) did you have about it?
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #14369
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Sorry no. Part of the brief today. Perhaps they'll put it up later. What question(s) did you have about it?
Was just trying to see where all the states ranked.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-31-2020, 05:27 PM   #14370
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Was just trying to see where all the states ranked.
Well, it was case per 100,000 pop, I believe. Shown in logarithmic scale.

Here's today's briefing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyp0KpB0_Zc
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote