Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM  
BAMF

Strouds fried chicken

A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:38 AM   #151
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
It was originally called the Dinner Horn, then it became Rembrandts. As mentioned, now it's a real estate office.

Check out the old postcard -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KANSAS-CITY...-/264103113634
I never ate at either but I knew many who did and said was first and last.

Before Dinner Horn there was a place on south side Barry Rd just west of Maple Woods that was popular a long time. I have forgotten the name it was in like this big white mansion plantation style home food was very good.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:32 AM   #152
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryaldini View Post
Italian Gardens downtown and Golden Ox by the old stockyards were the two best (non BBQ) restaurants in KC when I was young. I assume both are gone. In high school I worked with LC Richardson (later opened LCs) at the Royals Stadium club fetching his prime rib, and eating his BBQ changed my life. But for cheap steak I do remember Ponderosa and Bonanza fit the bill.
My mom liked Ponderosa, so we would go on occasion...but my dad HATED it. I also remember eating at a place called "The Village" with my mom next to the Blue Ridge East cinema off of 40 Highway. We would eat there sometimes after shopping at the Blue Ridge Mall, or after seeing a movie.

And of course Shoney's off of 350 Highway.

Sadly, I was born and raised in KC and I have never eaten at Strouds. Next time I am in town I will check it out.
chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:51 AM   #153
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
My mom liked Ponderosa, so we would go on occasion...but my dad HATED it. I also remember eating at a place called "The Village" with my mom next to the Blue Ridge East cinema off of 40 Highway. We would eat there sometimes after shopping at the Blue Ridge Mall, or after seeing a movie.

Sadly, I was born and raised in KC and I have never eaten at Strouds. Next time I am in town I will check it out.
If you go to Strouds go to the Northland location when they closed the original location due to Bruce R Watkins expressway the cooks and his crew came over.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:09 AM   #154
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
It was originally called the Dinner Horn, then it became Rembrandts. As mentioned, now it's a real estate office.

Check out the old postcard -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KANSAS-CITY...-/264103113634
The Dinner Horn!!! Thank you!
Third Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-02-2019, 07:17 AM   #155
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post

Ha Shoneys, I remember the one on Blue Ridge. Which reminds me of the nearby Hi Boy. I wonder if those are still around anywhere.
jerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #156
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
You stepped into the way back machine for these two.

I remember that one of them had the best Texas Toast I ever had. Crispy, garlicky flavor and full of real butter.

Their steaks were satisfactory for what they charged and were most were located; inside of malls.
Yes! Ponderosa got me hooked on Texas toast. Still think of it when I buy the shitty frozen kind in the grocery store. I got one of those oval metal steak plates in a wooden tray that I pull out when I make steak to relive the experience.
jerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-02-2019, 07:30 AM   #157
The 23rd Pillar

I remember as a kid going to Sirloin Stockade a couple of times and thinking it was the fanciest restaurant in the world. For those unfamiliar, Sirloin Stockade was like Ponderosa and Bonanza, but I think it was from a slightly earlier era.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM   #158
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

We're goin to sizzler! We're goin to sizzler!
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #159
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
Yes! Ponderosa got me hooked on Texas toast. Still think of it when I buy the shitty frozen kind in the grocery store. I got one of those oval metal steak plates in a wooden tray that I pull out when I make steak to relive the experience.
I don't remember Texas toast at pondergrossa but I remember the bun that came with a lunch of dinner plate. Our crew was eating at the one in liberty I looked up as one of the guy raised the bun took a big bite and me and another guy yelled out don't. It was to late he bit into a big juicy water bug on bottom his bun. Spit it out and headed to bathroom gagging lol. Needless to say he didn't have to pay for his meal.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:35 AM   #160
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

People just don't get enough protein these days...
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:36 AM   #161
It Goes On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye View Post
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
Rembrandt's

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.Sully threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:48 AM   #162
**** the Raiders

On the subject of places that no longer exists, does anyone else have fond memories of ShowBiz Pizza?
Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Raiderhater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #163
Starter

Quote:
Ha Shoneys, I remember the one on Blue Ridge. Which reminds me of the nearby Hi Boy. I wonder if those are still around anywhere.
Yep, three HiBoys still open in Independence. One near 291 & RD Mize, one @ 40 hwy and Blue Ridge blvd, one up on 24 hwy east of Sugar Creek
FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #164
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderhader View Post
On the subject of places that no longer exists, does anyone else have fond memories of ShowBiz Pizza?
Oh hell yeah.

You've been saving all your nickels and dimes
(For two whole weeks)
Gonna show someone a real good time...
(Come on Cindy, you're coming with me)

I remember going to the Show-Biz on Noland road when I was a kid...I remember it being right by the Venture store. Birthday Party's and what not. I don't remember the food, just the Animatronic band (Jim Bob?) and the Arcade. Good Times.

(Your're not suppose to eat the ball!)
chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.chinaski Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #165
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I think that was the one. Blue Ridge close to 350 Highway if I recall correctly. Been awhile.