Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM  
MVP

***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***

A couple of reminders...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana View Post
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Bearcat; 03-25-2020 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: adding spoiler tag
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #13006
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Some of that is that it was downplayed so much by the young generation that they (the media) is overplaying some young stories.

If you look at the numbers, it's still extremely rare for young healthy to have issues.
Do you have any up to date numbers regarding US cases? I can't seem to find much.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:28 PM   #13007
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLO View Post
It sounds like if you get to the point you need a respirator you're pretty much a goner anyway.

This sucks
Absolutely untrue.
petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.petegz28 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:29 PM   #13008
THE RED MENACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup View Post
Yeah lets not forget that this has just gotten started and that there is more evidence that this will not be a "winter" season virus only than there is that it will be a "winter" only virus.
Are you a non-believer or think that this is all being way over blown?
It's obviously a problem. We need to get our medical professionals all the best supplies we can. We also need to find a way to turn the economy back on in an intelligent systematic process so we don't sink the ship. I don't believe it's all one way or the other. We need to do our best on both ends.
BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.BIG_DADDY has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #13009
Life is changing..

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegz28 View Post
Absolutely untrue.
Good. I'm glad to hear I'm not right in that thinking.
TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.TLO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #13010
Fish are scared of me

Here's how to save yourself right here:

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #13011
www.nfl-forecast.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChief View Post
Recent flu seasons have seen CFRs close to .2, I wouldn't be surprised to see Covid-19 come in around the .2 - .5 range. We won't know accurate numbers for quite awhile (if ever).
This post isn't to disagree with yours, but just to provide additional context to the discussion.

CFR, R0, and all of the other epidemiologic parameters depend on so many things not related to the virus. R0 depends on how much social distancing is being practiced, probably population density, social customs, etc. CFR depends on the age demographics of the population, sex, blood type, and quality of medical care. So far the virus has hit hardest in economically developed countries. I think once the virus hits a high population density, economically disadvantaged area the outcome will be tragic. The one thing going for them is that the age demographics of most such areas are skewed toward younger populations.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:36 PM   #13012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Based on what data?
(Just to be clear I am ONLY concerned with US Covid data, hence why I only used US flu data)

Based on common sense reading of the available data. There are of course some "ifs" that go into it... here are the facts and ifs that lead me to believe in a fairly low (but higher than the flu) CFR.

IF The experts are correct that 50-80% of cases can go completely unnoticed.
IF The majority of people being tested and going into the data pool are the ones with the most severe symptoms (and celebrities)
FACT The disease has been in the US since early January and went unchecked with no social distancing or other controls for 6 weeks +
FACT Our current CFR is running around 1.5%
FACT That 1.5% is a current MAX. You almost always catch the deaths but with a disease like this you may be missing most of the cases.
IF You reasonably assume that there are at least 5 times as many cases in the wild as we are currently seeing numbers for... you can assume that the actual CFR is .3%

These aren't really pie in the sky assumptions.

Of course, things could change at any time but this is based on our current situation.
AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #13013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcox View Post
This post isn't to disagree with yours, but just to provide additional context to the discussion.

CFR, R0, and all of the other epidemiologic parameters depend on so many things not related to the virus. R0 depends on how much social distancing is being practiced, probably population density, social customs, etc. CFR depends on the age demographics of the population, sex, blood type, and quality of medical care. So far the virus has hit hardest in economically developed countries. I think once the virus hits a high population density, economically disadvantaged area the outcome will be tragic. The one thing going for them is that the age demographics of most such areas are skewed toward younger populations.
Yes and the age factor seems to be the single biggest one with this disease. But I just want to clarify, I am only discussing US figures to keep it simple and relatable.
AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.AustinChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #13014
Shit

Quote:
(Just to be clear I am ONLY concerned with US Covid data, hence why I only used US flu data)

Based on common sense reading of the available data. There are of course some "ifs" that go into it... here are the facts and ifs that lead me to believe in a fairly low (but higher than the flu) CFR.

IF The majority of people being tested and going into the data pool are the ones with the most severe symptoms (and celebrities)
FACT The disease has been in the US since early January and went unchecked with no social distancing or other controls for 6 weeks +
FACT That 1.5% is a current MAX. You almost always catch the deaths but with a disease like this you may be missing most of the cases.
IF You reasonably assume that there are at least 5 times as many cases in the wild as we are currently seeing numbers for... you can assume that the actual CFR is .3%

Of course, things could change at any time but this is based on our current situation.
Would the fact that most of the reported positive people are early on in the fight change the numbers any?
SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.SAUTO is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:39 PM   #13015
www.nfl-forecast.com

Quote:

I agree with most of your analysis here, except that you have omitted consideration that most US cases are in early stages, due to exponential growth of the number of cases.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #13016

I agree we aren't getting all the cases but we also don't know the people who were dying from pneumonia and such either.

Of course the biggest issue is still really trying to keep this from overrunning so bad that it overwhelms hospitals, regardless of how contagious or deadly it is. Even though we probably don't know the actual death rate we have plenty of evidence it can cause a lot of people to go to the hospital in a hurry.
tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.tk13 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:42 PM   #13017
Administrator

Quote:
I agree with most of your analysis here, except that you have omitted consideration that most US cases are in early stages, due to exponential growth of the number of cases.
yep, that is why I kept saying "current", you are correct that we may see a big shift due to lag times.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #13018
Indian Twitter

I've been out of the house about once a day it seems like. I travel in a small area and constantly disinfect and wash my hands and then I do it again. The wife hadn't been out of the house for 3 weeks but today she wanted sushi so we did curb side pickup. It made me nervous but I didn't want to tell her no since she was so excited. Then we've both done lots of online shopping. I try to spray down the boxes with disinfectant and then there's a constant flow of mail. I feel like my every move is a roll of the dice and If the wife gets it I don't think she'll make it.
philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.philfree has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #13019
www.nfl-forecast.com

Quote:
If you look at confirmed cases from the 22nd (33,592) and consider that only 10% of the cases are discovered, the calculation yields a CRF of 0.006 (0.6%), which I consider my (NOT AN EXPERT) lower bound of the CFR.

This refers to the "true" CFR, accounting for all cases, not just confirmed cases.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:51 PM   #13020
Mahomes: We Are All Witnesses

Since most people in NYC live in apartments/condominiums how is it possible to realistically prevent the airborne spread of the virus among individual apartment/condo units?

If one unit has a person infected with COVID-19 wouldn’t the virus spread through the air ducts to other units?
FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.FloridaMan88 is obviously part of the inner Circle.