Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2010, 07:58 PM  
pie is never free

The Fishing Thread

Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:11 AM   #556
Supporter

Just got back into fishing last year after several years away. Don't know why. Just got to be such a hassle when the kids were little.

Now one boy is an adult, the other is 15, and my daughter is 10. All good ages to really get into it now.

My poor middle son....I felt so bad for him last year as we were all catching fish and he couldn't seem to snag one. I gave him as many pointers as I could but he just had bad luck. He did finally catch one in one of our last fishing trips of the season last year. We were very happy.

I just mainly fish for catfish. Been that way since I was a kid. Tried several of my old spots last year but ended up liking the Shawnee State fishing lake the best. Kind of odd behavior at times though. I could be there for an hour and a half with hardly a bite. Then, catch about 3 fish in 10 minutes.
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:21 AM   #557
Wearing ballistic dog goggles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofa King View Post
What the hell is a goggle eye?
Around here I think it’s a type of perch so I Googled it, heh, and found that in Florida what they call a Google Eye looks more like a drum.
Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.Radar Chief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:22 AM   #558
In Search of a Life

In southern MO and northern Ark, a goggle eye is a rock bass.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #559
Hey Loochy, I'm hooome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. tegu View Post
That must have been nice out there with the cooler weather the past few days. Drum are insane fighters and I love catching them but they really aren't the best eating, at least not in my experience. The worst part about catching them is if fishing for crappie and you hook one thinking you have a monster crappie and the drum shows up but oh well. What is a goggle eye? Looks different anything I have seen.

Check out these pics of monster crappie from John Redmond. The one with my hand weighed in at 1lb 13 oz and was one of a full stringer of crappie that size. The other pic is 2 lb 3 oz with proof on the scale! That was such a big one my dad and I let it go.
lol why are you making that awful face in the second picture?
loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.loochy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #560
Forever Royal

Quote:
Originally Posted by loochy View Post
lol why are you making that awful face in the second picture?
Haha that is my dad. He is not the most comfortable in photographs
mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #561
Molôn Labé

The fishing was slow today on the S.S. R8ers but my buddy had a great time anyway.
R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #562
pie is never free

Even a slow days fishing, out on the water, observing nature... beats a lot of other ways to spend a day, R8ers... looks like that might be a pretty good sized lake you're on.
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:10 PM   #563
Molôn Labé

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott free View Post
Even a slow days fishing, out on the water, observing nature... beats a lot of other ways to spend a day, R8ers... looks like that might be a pretty good sized lake you're on.
Thats the smallest one I fish on, it's a watershed lake

4 bucks to put in and 2 bucks to fish, it was a fun day but way too windy
R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.R8RFAN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM   #564
pie is never free

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ers View Post
Thats the smallest one I fish on, it's a watershed lake

4 bucks to put in and 2 bucks to fish, it was a fun day but way too windy
Had planned to get out today myself, but it was very windy here as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:24 PM   #565
Molôn Labé

Quote:
Had planned to get out today myself, but it was very windy here as well.

On those days I go to the end the wind is blowing from and just drift in the middle... I get tired of fighting the wind.. Hung em straight off the boat with the tips about a foot from the water, turned on the classic rock station and drifted for 3 or 4 hours, just me and my dog...
Old 04-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #566
lifelong Chiefs survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar Chief View Post
They aren’t much of a problem in the river but lakes and ponds are swarming with them. They’ve pretty much ruined fishing the bottom in several spots. Only choice is to find a hole deeper than the turtles are going or go to slip bobber rig and keep your bait off the bottom, which is what most of us around here are doing.
I've always had more problems with turtles on the rivers. In fact, the Neosho river by Twin Bridges is full of them bait stealing bastages.
Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.Rukdafaidas would the whole thing.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #567
Molôn Labé

Would you pull this boat with this truck?

I hooked my boat to my little Mazda b2300 4cyl and pulled it around my neighborhood, I stopped it on hills and restarted to simulate leaving boat ramps, I braked hard a few times to see if it stopped fine... Everything seemed fine...

I have been a Tractor Trailer driver for over 25 years pulling double trailers so I am really not what you would consider a rookie at heavy loads, My truck is old , 200k + I only gave 1000 bucks for it 5 years ago (I have put 60k on it with only replacing the brakes )

Would you pull this boat with this truck? I have an Explorer but I hate pulling a boat with an SUV . Boat is a 16.5 Monark with a 50 hp

Old 04-25-2012, 10:13 AM   #568
pie is never free

It should do the trick for atleast a little while, but i'm thinking your transmission will burn out sooner rather than later, but if you only paid $1000 for it i guess its no big deal.

What i'd be more worried about short term, are the brakes on that little thing, i'd make sure they're in perfect working order & go gently on them whenever possible.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #569
Molôn Labé

Quote:
It should do the trick for atleast a little while, but i'm thinking your transmission will burn out sooner rather than later, but if you only paid $1000 for it i guess its no big deal.

What i'd be more worried about short term, are the brakes on that little thing, i'd make sure they're in perfect working order & go gently on them whenever possible.

I have brand new brakes and the tranny is manual, the thing I worry about the most is the clutch when exiting the water

The specs on the truck say it will tow 1600 lbs with a tounge weight of no more that 500..

I know the tounge weight is probably about 200
Old 04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #570
He's Mahomie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8ers View Post
Would you pull this boat with this truck?

I hooked my boat to my little Mazda b2300 4cyl and pulled it around my neighborhood, I stopped it on hills and restarted to simulate leaving boat ramps, I braked hard a few times to see if it stopped fine... Everything seemed fine...

I have been a Tractor Trailer driver for over 25 years pulling double trailers so I am really not what you would consider a rookie at heavy loads, My truck is old , 200k + I only gave 1000 bucks for it 5 years ago (I have put 60k on it with only replacing the brakes )

Would you pull this boat with this truck? I have an Explorer but I hate pulling a boat with an SUV . Boat is a 16.5 Monark with a 50 hp

I used to pull my 25 foot offshore boat out with my Ford Ranger. Surprisingly it worked. Wouldn't wanna go outta town that way though.
MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.MahiMike is obviously part of the inner Circle.