Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-27-2016, 11:23 AM  
Kind of a mod

Investing megathread extravaganza

A place to talk about investing stuff.

Last edited by DaFace; 02-19-2021 at 06:35 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #6571
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Okay, here's my story of 2020.

My return: 11.7 percent.
Family return: 16.4 percent. (My wife beat me handily on investing this year.)

Okay, a bunch of you guys will make fun of me for my performance, and probably rightfully so. I underperformed. Let's see what happened. (I'm only looking at my investments here and not my wife's.)

Top 10 holdings and 2020 returns (including dividends). These are about 30 percent of my holdings.

Cash & Equivalent 0.26% (9 percent of holdings as a safety feature)
GOOG 28.12% (Google)
AMZN 71.60% (Amazon)
MSFT 39.49% (Microsoft)
MPW 9.77% (Medical property REIT)
TSM 83.21% (Semiconductor manufacturer)
TTWO 70.21% (Video game company)
FTANX 9.20% (Very conservative investment fund - mostly a safety anchor)
TSLA 720.07% (Tesla - yay!)
ATCO -18.57% (Shipping line)

If you look at my top 10 holdings, it looks like I was in line for a fantastic year. I had six huge winners and only one loser, and the median return was about 35 percent. If you average them with TSLA in there, you get up to a mean return of 101 percent. That, my friends, would be a great year.

My top ten full-year performers of the year were as follows.

TSLA 720% (Tesla)
EDUC 153% (Children's book company)
SLP 152% (Pharmaceutical software)
EDIT 138% (Gene editing)
ALB 104% (Industrial chemicals - big in lithium)
TSM 83% (Semiconductor manufacturer)
FVE 77% (Senior living)
AAPL 77% (Apple)
QCOM 73% (Internet 5G player)
AMZN 72% (Amazon)

Okay, this is still looking good, because 3 of my top 10 performers are in my 10 largest holdings. Three others are also pretty big in my portfolio. This is looking good.

I got smart and went on a buying spree this year while prices were down, so I also scored big on a number of stocks that I only held for part of the year.

ZM 170.90% (Zoom - videoconferencing)
MRNA 170.15% (Moderna - Covid vaccine))
NVAX 82.91% (Novavax - Covid vaccine)
CGNX 68.52% (Robotics/automation)
WAB 47.53% (Mostly train parts)
ENPH 45.18% (Solar stuff)
FANUY 35.72% (Robotics/automation)
KLAC 29.24% (Infrastructure to Manufacture Semiconductors)
SQ 29.21% (Square)
ARKK 27.51% (Innovation ETF)

So I smoked my mid-year buying spree. Home runs all over the place, and I only had a couple of losers. These are mostly very small holdings that I'm continuing to buy on dips. If you added them all up, though, they'd be my fourth-largest holding.

So what happened? Let's look at my biggest losers of the year.

CUK -51% (Cruise line)
TWO -46% (Real Estate REIT)
RMCF -43% (Retail)
RCL -40% (Cruise line)
BP -40% (Oil)
EPR -39% (Real Estate REIT)
CLI -38% (Real Estate REIT)
RDS.A -37% (Oil)
GPMT -37% (Real Estate REIT)
BA -36% (Aerospace)

And as a bonus, the next two on the list were:
COP -35% (Oil)
PSX -33% (Oil)

I think I see a pattern here.

Most of these were mid-sized holdings for me, but PSX was easily a top-ten holding at the beginning of the year. Not any more after those losses.

I liked the REITs for dividends and figured they were safe bets, but the pandemic beat them senseless. And I had cruise lines and oil going into 2020 because I figured they'd tend to move in opposite directions and give me stability (in a normal economy). But the covid beat up the cruise lines at the same time that the Russians and OPEC beat up oil. Losses of this magnitude were hard to overcome.

So overall, this was a year of volatility. I had some enormous wins and some enormous losses. In the big scheme of things. a 16.4 percent return is good, and even an 11.7 percent return is good. But I rue the missed opportunity to do even better.

I'm going to hang onto the cruise lines and the REITs. They'll eventually come back, I think. The oil companies kept their great dividends, which is nice, but I've started selling them down a bit and swallowing big losses. I hate that. I always viewed them as being pretty safe, but not any more.
Seems like you stick with mainly the big boys / popular companies.
diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.diqlix < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:47 PM   #6572
Baba Ganoush

Thoughts on Dogecoin?

After Elon’s tweet I’m tempted to invest.
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:22 PM   #6573
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by In58men View Post
Thoughts on Dogecoin?

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #6574
Roy E.

Quote:
Thoughts on Dogecoin?

I don't know jack squat about Dogecoin, other than it's cheap.

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/DOGE-USD?p=DOGE-USD
Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.Munson is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:42 PM   #6575
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
Did any of your REITs cut their dividend?
I would take all the dividends from them and do auto reinvest to lower your cost basis.
Y'know, I'm not sure. They're required to distribute funds, but I don't know the rules about when or if they can cut the payout. I'm going to have to look at them to see what they paid out.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-02-2021, 11:28 PM   #6576
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
???
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:31 AM   #6577
Fish are scared of me

Quote:
???

Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hog's Gone Fishin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:47 AM   #6578
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin View Post
???
Old 01-03-2021, 08:50 AM   #6579
Mod Team

Quote:
???
Your question is probably better asked in the Bitcoin thread.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:17 AM   #6580
Banned

Seemed like 2020 was a year for big winners and big losers with covid. Any big losers on your radars that you think will start to make a climb?
chiefnchopper is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #6581
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
So what you're saying is when they re-invest the dividend the price is higher so it's best to take it in cash and buy back later?

Am I understanding that right?
No.

Each time they pay their dividend. buy more shares in their reinvestment plan. Your compounding your money at lower levels and if the REIT rises, you profit as well.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:54 AM   #6582
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
No.

Each time they pay their dividend. buy more shares in their reinvestment plan. Your compounding your money at lower levels and if the REIT rises, you profit as well.
I follow. Thanks.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:03 AM   #6583
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post
Your question is probably better asked in the Bitcoin thread.
I’m not talking to you at this moment.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #6584
Fish are scared of me

Quote:

According to BroncNutz Theta is the next huge winner. He was right about Bitcoin when he said at $900 you need to buy until your hands bleed. I don't know, I'm watching from the sideline
Old 01-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #6585
Mod Team

Quote:
Why?

I’ve never stopped loving you.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.