Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Hall of Classics

Old 01-18-2003, 11:05 PM  
MeatPeeker

I can't be what I'm not.

Some people are jocks. Some people are preps. Some people are sluts. Some people are popular. Some people are all of the above, or a combination of one or more.

Some people are nerds.

I am a nerd.

Nerds don't go to parties. Those other people do.

I'm not those other people. I don't do what they do.

After covering my basketball games (which put the evening at 7pm) I went to the library and got on the computer until it closed at 8. Then I went to a mexican restaurant and ate dinner. It was then 9 pm. I was led to believe the party was starting at 9:30 or 10 pm. I drove over to her house and parked in a nearby lot. I waited. I felt sick. I went to the university center, and looked in the mirror. I looked like a nerd. I went back to the parking lot, ended up circling the house five times and parking again each time.

The last attempt I actually got out of the car. Guys I was so scared my entire body was screaming for me to get back in the car where it was safe. I got in there and left, and tried not to turn my head to look at that apartment building and the people outside it as I passed it.

Two songs played in the car as I began that trip home. Joe Walsh's "Life's been good to me" and AC/DC's "Hell's Bell's." Those are two of my favorite songs, and they are never played on the radio.

Those were my mp3s, calling me home.

I had a good cry on the way home, but I'm here now, where I belong. With you guys, my geforce 4 and no one else.

To thine own self be true.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nerdroom.jpg (85.6 KB, 1083 views)
Old 01-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #76
21st Century Schizoid Fan

How can somebody who's a sportswriter be afraid to talk to people? In your job, you're required to go up to complete strangers and ask them personal questions all the time ("What were your emotions?" "What were you thinking?" "Why did you do that?")

Yet, you can't hold a beer at a crowded party and talk sports or movies or computers or school with folks you at least kinda know?

If you can screw up your courage to do interviews, you can socialize on a college campus, where you already have much in common with everyone else -- you're all going to the same school, taking many of the same classes. A little conversation about that can reveal other common interests. You just have to take that first step and scratch the surface, after that it snowballs.
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #77
Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by htismaqe
I highly doubt you are really the actor that played Boba Fett.

Wow.

He IS a nerd.
lmao... maybe I should rethink this whole BS theory
KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:01 AM   #78
Born to Ride

Nothin to it but to do it! Any way I gotta go for now I hope you will lighten up on yourself and stop viewing yourself as someone who can't mingle with anyone you so choose.
2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.2bikemike is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #79
MeatPeeker

Quote:
Originally posted by htismaqe
I highly doubt you are really the actor that played Boba Fett.

Wow.

He IS a nerd.
Can you name the other character that Jeremy Bulloch played?

His name was Lieutenant Sheckil, an Imperial officer who is the unmasked Bulloch, seen here:

Old 01-19-2003, 12:02 AM   #80
Supporter

I never want to go to parties, and I'm a pretty sociable guy. Salesman by trade. But I always dread the small talk, thinking I'll be bored if there aren't people I know there. And I almost always end up having a great time.

Point being, it's too bad you didn't go as you'd likely have enjoyed yourself. The good news is that you're in college and there'll be plenty of parties and eventually something will happen that will get you to walk in the door. You'll be fine once you do.
RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.RJ Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:04 AM   #81
MeatPeeker

I should host a Star Wars watching party when the new one comes out....too bad it's in 2005.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:04 AM   #82
Rookie

Believe what you wish, friend. I'll harbour no resentment if you choose to disbelieve me. A member of my fanclub emailed me 3 days ago about your situation and asked that I drop in on this site. I'll be going to Mass shortly, but I wanted to take a moment to offer a brief word of encouragement.
Jeremy Bulloch is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.Jeremy Bulloch is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:05 AM   #83
'Tis my eye!

Dude, if you ever want to have girls interested in you, you need to stop thinking about Star Wars and your video card.

The only thing making you appear like a geek is YOU.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #84
Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by rjintx
I never want to go to parties, and I'm a pretty sociable guy. Salesman by trade. But I always dread the small talk, thinking I'll be bored if there aren't people I know there. And I almost always end up having a great time.

Point being, it's too bad you didn't go as you'd likely have enjoyed yourself. The good news is that you're in college and there'll be plenty of parties and eventually something will happen that will get you to walk in the door. You'll be fine once you do.
heh... maybe he just needs a wing-man. I always know if nothin' else.... me and my boy are gonna have a good time... drink some beer... and have fun. Sometimes things work out, and we get hooked up..... sometimes we don't. We always have fun though.

I think GC just needs a bud to back him up. (btw... the best kind is a guy who makes an ass of himself.. and breaks the ice.... that way you swing in lookin' like the nice guy of the 2)
KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.KcMizzou is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:07 AM   #85
Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by gochiefs
I should host a Star Wars watching party when the new one comes out....too bad it's in 2005.
ya like Lord of the Rings? It's not nearly as far off
Old 01-19-2003, 12:10 AM   #86
Line'em up

Take your a** to the party but just be "yourself." If you drink then just drink a couple. Go up to the few people you know just to say hey and tell them you can only stay for a few because you have to get up early. Tell you you were hanging out with some other friends and they caused you to be late. Anyway, that gives you a few minutes of face time, allows everyone to see your pretty cool because you don't show up, get **** faced, and break things. Then you're out of there and you were seen by others. The next time the other people are having a party and see you it will increase your chances of getting invited thus giving you a social life.

Go to the party but do it on your terms. A quick in and out and a few handshakes!
FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.FRCDFED has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:12 AM   #87
Scott Pioli

GoChiefs,

You need someone in your family to give you a kick in the ass.

And Sib is right, if you are planning on becoming a sportswriter( I'm planning on becoming one as well, thats what I'm going to college for) then you have to have a set of balls on you. You have to be able to take criticism, ask tough questions and SOCIALIZE.

You are wasting years that people on this board would kill to get back. I'm sure you had friends in high school, everyone has a friend in high school I don't care how nerdy you are. Think about the ways you made those friends. People will go out of their way to offer friendship, but once you keep rejecting them (like not going to this party) they will stop.

This is what leads me to believe why you have no current friends. I think people make the effort, but you push them away for no reason.

You absolutely need to start spreading your wings. You will look back on these days you are pissing away sitting on a computer and regret them and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it.

My 17 year old brother in high school would rather sit online than socialize with people from school. I would give up just about everything I have to get my high school years back. You just don't appreciate things like high school and the time before you head out into the real world until you are in it.

Take Punkin up on his offer man. You have nothing to lose. To be a journalist you HAVE to make contacts with people. Consider him your contact to the outside world.

I've ragged on you pretty hard on this board, but I really do feel sorry for you. I enjoy sitting online, but I have a girlfriend and a life that I wouldn't trade for any modem, harddrive, or video card. Those things will always be there. Your youth won't.

Last edited by The Bad Guy; 01-19-2003 at 12:18 AM..
The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.The Bad Guy has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:13 AM   #88
MeatPeeker

Unbelievable. No WAY this is Jeremy Bulloch.

If this really IS Jeremy Bulloch, I met you....twice. Let's see if it's really you.

The second time I met you, I was wearing a green shirt with a logo on it. You commented on it. What logo was it?
Old 01-19-2003, 12:13 AM   #89
I am currently playing this

Quote:
Originally posted by gochiefs

Are you really a nerd? Do you own a pair of Boba Fett boots? Did you cry when Spock, Kirk and Data died? Do you own the soundtrack to every Star Trek movie? Do you ready science fiction novels? Do you own seven plastic lightsabers? Do you go to science fiction conventions? Do you have Jabba the Hutt sitting on top of your monitor, flanked by the Fetts?

THAT IS WHAT IT MEANS TO BE A NERD.
Dude get to that party or you;ll end up like these Star Wars nerds

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/nerds.html
theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.theultimatekcchiefsfan is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:15 AM   #90
Supporter

Quote:
Originally posted by The Bad Guy
GoChiefs,

You need someone in your family to give you a kick in the ass.

And Sib is right, if you are planning on becoming a sportswriter( I'm planning on becoming one as well, thats what I'm going to college for) then you have to have a set of balls on you. You have to be able to take criticism, ask tough questions and SOCIALIZE.

You are wasting years that people on this board would kill to get back. I'm sure you had friends in high school, everyone has a friend in high school I don't care how nerdy you are. Think about the ways you made those friends. People will go out of their way to offer friendship, but once you keep rejecting them (like not going to this party) they will stop.

This is what leads me to believe why you have no current friends. I think people make the effort, but you push them away for no reason.

Hell, I didn't drink until I was 21. I never considered myself to be a party guy in high school because honestly I don't think I went to 10 parties in all 4 years.

You absolutely need to start spreading your wings. You will look back on these days you are pissing away sitting on a computer and regret them and there won't be a damn thing you can do about it.

My 17 year old brother in high school would rather sit online than socialize with people from school. I would give up just about everything I have to get my high school years back. You just don't appreciate things like high school and the time before you head out into the real world until you are in it.

Take Punkin up on his offer man. You have nothing to lose. To be a journalist you HAVE to make contacts with people. Consider him your contact to the outside world.

I've ragged on you pretty hard on this board, but I really do feel sorry for you. I enjoy sitting online, but I have a girlfriend and a life that I wouldn't trade for any modem, harddrive, or video card. Those things will always be there. Your youth won't.
what he said. nice post man