Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-28-2023, 03:48 PM  
Veteran

That Franchise Guy (86K subscribers) grades the Chiefs pick

Now this is a youtuber and his name is "That Franchise Guy". He is well above 20K subscribers so we all owe him a big "LETS GOOOOOOOOO" for that. All kidding aside, the dude seems to know his stuff. I've listened to a fair amount of his pre-draft stuff and if he's full of crap, he's full of crap on a level that I couldn't recognize, cause he knows more than I do.

Here is what he said about the Chiefs:

"Last pick, FAU. This to me is just kinda like a 'fine' pick. I really don't have a whole lot of bad things to say about it but I also don't have a lot of great things to say about it. I love that it's a hometown pick (VK note: Bubba Starling was also a hometown pick, so I personally hate that it's a hometown pick, but That Franchise Guy loves that) because I think that's a lot of fun. I think he will be an effective player, basically a Frank Clark replacement...but I really don't see a first round player in FAU's game; he doesn't have explosive traits that could potentially make for a good starter, or even a high-end starter. I understand a lot of EDGE players had fallen off the board here, and it is the thirty-first pick, which is more of a second round pick than a true first round pick. Not an exciting pick. This is more like "this makes sense, this is fine."

What makes this sting is that basically every player taken in the 12 picks prior to the Chiefs got grades ranging from 'STEAL' to 'CALL THE FBI THIS IS SUCH A STEAL IT IS A MAJOR MAJOR CRIME'. We instead got what I'm interpreting as a C- on this pick from your guy That Franchise Guy.

Here is the video and I cued up the timestamp to go right to the Chiefs. But if you read my OP you know what he said already:

Not the most impactful pick ever made, seems to be the conclusion.
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:54 PM   #2
Generational Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch View Post
Now this is a youtuber and his name is "That Franchise Guy". He is well above 20K subscribers so we all owe him a big "LETS GOOOOOOOOO" for that. All kidding aside, the dude seems to know his stuff. I've listened to a fair amount of his pre-draft stuff and if he's full of crap, he's full of crap on a level that I couldn't recognize, cause he knows more than I do.

Here is what he said about the Chiefs:

"Last pick, FAU. This to me is just kinda like a 'fine' pick. I really don't have a whole lot of bad things to say about it but I also don't have a lot of great things to say about it. I love that it's a hometown pick (VK note: Bubba Starling was also a hometown pick, so I personally hate that it's a hometown pick, but That Franchise Guy loves that) because I think that's a lot of fun. I think he will be an effective player, basically a Frank Clark replacement...but I really don't see a first round player in FAU's game; he doesn't have explosive traits that could potentially make for a good starter, or even a high-end starter. I understand a lot of EDGE players had fallen off the board here, and it is the thirty-first pick, which is more of a second round pick than a true first round pick. Not an exciting pick. This is more like "this makes sense, this is fine."

What makes this sting is that basically every player taken in the 12 picks prior to the Chiefs got grades ranging from 'STEAL' to 'CALL THE FBI THIS IS SUCH A STEAL IT IS A MAJOR MAJOR CRIME'. We instead got what I'm interpreting as a C- on this pick from your guy That Franchise Guy.

Here is the video and I cued up the timestamp to go right to the Chiefs. But if you read my OP you know what he said already:

Not the most impactful pick ever made, seems to be the conclusion.

Who cares how many subs. My friend coached college football and told me about Mahomes in 2016 and he loves this player for us. And his subs on YouTube are blah.
MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.MahomesMagic has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-28-2023, 03:59 PM   #3
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic View Post
Who cares how many subs. My friend coached college football and told me about Mahomes in 2016 and he loves this player for us. And his subs on YouTube are blah.
Spoken like a man that is lacking in subs. I have 200K subs and I don't even have a youtube channel. These are just subscribers that are super in just in case I decide to start one!

Nah I'm just kidding. The subcount is irrelevant. The content is what I focus on, and this really took the wind out of my sails. I was getting all pumped on FAU and this analysis kinda deflated a CP poster a bit.

We should have traded up, man. There were FBI LEVEL steals to be had in the dozen picks before us but we stood pat, let the board fall to us, and fall it did. It fell like France in WW2 right before our eyes.
Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Vladimir_Kyrilytch has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:12 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Spoken like a man that is lacking in subs. I have 200K subs and I don't even have a youtube channel. These are just subscribers that are super in just in case I decide to start one!

Nah I'm just kidding. The subcount is irrelevant. The content is what I focus on, and this really took the wind out of my sails. I was getting all pumped on FAU and this analysis kinda deflated a CP poster a bit.

We should have traded up, man. There were FBI LEVEL steals to be had in the dozen picks before us but we stood pat, let the board fall to us, and fall it did. It fell like France in WW2 right before our eyes.
Who did we lose out on that was such a "steal?"

I'd argue not a ****ing soul.

Smith-Njigba went a bit low but I had not expectation Veach would go to 20 for a WR.
The other WRs exactly in the range they were expected and the only one that offered a differing skillset from what we have was Johnston. He went to our rival. We weren't getting there.

Banks went where expected. We aren't going to go up 2 drafts in a row for a CB. Hell Porter fell right to us and we PASSED.

Kincaid? Yeah, lets take a guy with a back injury that we don't need in round 1.

Mazi... he was, if anything, a minor reach.

We could have maybe went up and got Harrison. He'd have been a good pick. I've been saying all offseason he'd go in round 1. He did. But who was trading out for us to do that? Nobody, apparently. And I really don't think he was the guy Veach wanted.

Myles Murphy was a steal, I think. Maybe the lone guy I'd argue hard that maybe we should have moved for.

Bresee, to me, was a massive reach. Do not like.

Nolan Smith doesn't even remotely fit our scheme. I don't even know why people here liked him so much. He's a trait-based guy that lacks the production to back up the lofty expectations pundits had for his draft stock. He went higher than I think he should have. I certainly never expected Veach to move for that kid.

The Chiefs, in my opinion, let the steals go by in Hyatt and Porter. They didn't pass on some glorious steals to me. The big steal happened at 17. Gonzalez was a top-7 type of pick all-day every day.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran

Appreciate the insight Mr. Crow and that makes me feel a little better. I was hoping for Luke Musgrave though, and I was shocked that he was still on the board when we were up. I really think he could've been the 3rd HOF Chiefs Tight End and with Kelce going on 34, it was such the right time for that type of pick. Think of all the things Kelce could have taught Musgrave! Game changing stuff. Mahomes could've gone his whole career without ever knowing what it was like to NOT have a hall-of-fame TE to throw to. It could've been magical, Mr. Crow.

Instead we have what is being described here as a meh player that can at least take some of those Clark snaps from the past few seasons and do about equivalent with them. Ughhhhh, I think Clark sucked bad here. DJLN gets all this recognition for hating on Frank Clark but I'm the real Clark hater. To find a guy at #31 that can replace Clark but no more, to me, is a gigantic swing and a miss, compared to Musgrave.

I will admit I had Musgrave as the #1 TE in the draft. Mayer and Kincaid, I understand why they get rated higher, I just disagree with it.

Ultimately though if I could get Brett Veach into a room with him willing to listen to my concerns, it would probably take less than 60 seconds to convince me what he did on night 1 was the right play. I wouldn't doubt him.

Good talk.
Old 04-28-2023, 04:44 PM   #6
MVP

I'm high on Musgrave as well but I just don't think Veach will use a day 2 asset on one right now. Maybe if Kelce were showing signs of decline. Musgrave just might end up around at 63. Will be interesting to see what he does with it.

I think if he can get his hands on an offensive weapon he really likes then he will but I'd err on the side of WR and RB before I would TE. Otherwise, OT and DT seem likely.
kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.kccrow 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2023, 04:54 PM   #7
Hockey Town

That franchise guy is also Marcus Whitman on Twitter I've followed him for awhile he's a good follow.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:15 PM   #8
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
I'm high on Musgrave as well but I just don't think Veach will use a day 2 asset on one right now. Maybe if Kelce were showing signs of decline. Musgrave just might end up around at 63. Will be interesting to see what he does with it.

I think if he can get his hands on an offensive weapon he really likes then he will but I'd err on the side of WR and RB before I would TE. Otherwise, OT and DT seem likely.
Good insight I won't deny it. My point would be this: what signs of decline did Eric Fisher or Mitchell Schwartz show before they both went down for good? None. Schwartz was the Lou Gherig of football before his back gave out, and then he was retired.

Kelce is that age. He's one achilles away from gone. That's why I thought it so critical to get a new Kelce in here BEFORE the sunset calls and he rides into it.

We all know Mahomes can win a Super Bowl with meh receivers. We're on the verge of finding out if he can do it with a meh TE. I don't like that.
Old 04-28-2023, 05:33 PM   #9
MVP

Quote:
Good insight I won't deny it. My point would be this: what signs of decline did Eric Fisher or Mitchell Schwartz show before they both went down for good? None. Schwartz was the Lou Gherig of football before his back gave out, and then he was retired.

Kelce is that age. He's one achilles away from gone. That's why I thought it so critical to get a new Kelce in here BEFORE the sunset calls and he rides into it.

We all know Mahomes can win a Super Bowl with meh receivers. We're on the verge of finding out if he can do it with a meh TE. I don't like that.
You don't base your entire draft strategy on hedging for injuries to All-Pros. We have Gray, Bell, Fortson and even Bushman who should get a solid shake at making the roster over Forston. The Chiefs don't need another guy to get by if a major injury were to happen. If it does, then you go looking for another All-Pro. Otherwise, you have a guy sitting on the bench for the next 3 years for nothing.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:10 PM   #10
Consuming CP souls

Not a **** is given
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #11
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccrow View Post
You don't base your entire draft strategy on hedging for injuries to All-Pros. We have Gray, Bell, Fortson and even Bushman who should get a solid shake at making the roster over Forston. The Chiefs don't need another guy to get by if a major injury were to happen. If it does, then you go looking for another All-Pro. Otherwise, you have a guy sitting on the bench for the next 3 years for nothing.
When your draft decision is a perennial all-pro or a rotational guy that should be able to do roughly what Frank Clark does, maybe worse....Veach let me down here.

We are spoiled on high level TE play. That's fine. We figure a 1,200 yard 20 TD TE is just replacement value. Last spot on the team to ever worry about. I can't agree. But the die is cast and we're now heading into an era of unspoiled TE play. I don't look forward to it but we have a lot of it ahead of us. Decades of it. Didn't have to happen but we wanted it.

Veach rolled the dice in his younger days. Now he's clinching them in his fist to make sure no one can get those dice out of his hands. We used to have a guy at the helm ready to take risks to prove himself. Now he takes risks to not have to prove himself. It was a subtle transition indeed.

Just one observer's observation.
Old 04-28-2023, 06:33 PM   #12
Consuming CP souls

These wannabe Mel Kipers don't know shit
Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pasta Little Brioni is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:42 AM   #13
MVP

I feel the same way about the pick to be honest.

I would have gone 1. Foskey 2. Hyatt 3. Freeland but that's not to say I don't like the picks we took, just not jumping out of my seat.
Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Couch-Potato has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 04-29-2023, 08:43 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brother View Post
These wannabe Mel Kipers don't know shit
Clearly, we don't. Even though we talked about each of the 3 picks Veach made a bunch this offseason. Two of them, Rice and Morris, were in a few of my mocks and other guys' mocks. Staylor was all about FAU and I specifically remember telling Direckshun in his where I like prospects thread he was a top-50 player. We don't know shit.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 08:48 AM   #15
Constable of Untruths

Quote:
When your draft decision is a perennial all-pro or a rotational guy that should be able to do roughly what Frank Clark does, maybe worse....Veach let me down here.

We are spoiled on high level TE play. That's fine. We figure a 1,200 yard 20 TD TE is just replacement value. Last spot on the team to ever worry about. I can't agree. But the die is cast and we're now heading into an era of unspoiled TE play. I don't look forward to it but we have a lot of it ahead of us. Decades of it. Didn't have to happen but we wanted it.

Veach rolled the dice in his younger days. Now he's clinching them in his fist to make sure no one can get those dice out of his hands. We used to have a guy at the helm ready to take risks to prove himself. Now he takes risks to not have to prove himself. It was a subtle transition indeed.

Just one observer's observation.
“Decades” of unspoiled TE play in front of us? WTF?! There’s a draft every year, dumbass. Stop clutching your pearls because the best GM in football didn’t do what you thought he should.
LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.LoneWolf is obviously part of the inner Circle.