Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2019, 01:52 PM  
SuperBowl or bust

The case for Rex Ryan as new DC

Here’s why I’d be happy bringing in Rex Ryan to coach the defense...

1st is we wouldn’t need to overhaul the entire defense as the schemes are similar...but the philosophy is different.

Bob Sutton’s years as NYJs DC team rankings

First year
13th yards ...6th in points
2nd year
18th yards...19th points
3rd year
17th yards...18th points

Rex Ryan takes over HC the following year in09

1st year
1st in yards...1st in points

2nd year
3rd in yards....6th in points

Drastic and immediate improvement

More stats to come on why I think Rex would be a good hire...
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #91
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefspants View Post
I don't think Andy could handle a personality like that so high up on the coaching staff.
I am in agreement with you, although my concern is less about Andy and more that Rex wants to be the star of the show.
Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #92
MVP

Ryan/Sutton have been propped up by

Ray Lewis - > David Harris - > Derrick Johnson
Ed Reed-> Darrelle Revis -> Eric Berry
Suggs -> Calvin Pace -> Justin Houston/Tamba Hali
Haloti Ngata ->Kris Jenkins/Ellis->Poe/Jones

do you see a theme forming. This scheme and these retread coaches have been propped up by some of the best talent on defense in the entire league for the last 15 years. They are literally fools gold. They ran all these guys into the ground and shaved years off their careers in this scheme. Think about when all these guys hit a wall they were basically toast besides Suggs and Lewis cause they are freaks. Berry is going out the same way Revis and Ed Reed did. Houston is going out the same way Pace and Hali did. All those d-lineman blew out their backs in this crap scheme.

When this scheme doesn't have the all pro talent it is absolutely terrible. The Chiefs aren't getting the next Ray Lewis or Darrelle Revis to walk through that door in 1 offseason. The scheme needs to be thrown away.
mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:26 PM   #93
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaj22 View Post
Ryan/Sutton have been propped up by

Ray Lewis - > David Harris - > Derrick Johnson
Ed Reed-> Darrelle Revis -> Eric Berry
Suggs -> Calvin Pace -> Justin Houston/Tamba Hali
Haloti Ngata ->Kris Jenkins/Ellis->Poe/Jones

do you see a theme forming. This scheme and these retread coaches have been propped up by some of the best talent on defense in the entire league for the last 15 years. They are literally fools gold. They ran all these guys into the ground and shaved years off their careers in this scheme. Think about when all these guys hit a wall they were basically toast besides Suggs and Lewis cause they are freaks. Berry is going out the same way Revis and Ed Reed did. Houston is going out the same way Pace and Hali did. All those d-lineman blew out their backs in this crap scheme.

When this scheme doesn't have the all pro talent it is absolutely terrible. The Chiefs aren't getting the next Ray Lewis or Darrelle Revis to walk through that door in 1 offseason. The scheme needs to be thrown away.
This.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #94
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by New World Order View Post
Marcell Dareus talked about how confusing Ryan's scheme was to learn

We don't want that again
I mean it’s not going to be much different than Sutton’s scheme, but Ryan is a MUCH better coach.

I’m on board with Ryan, just don’t believe he’ll take a DC job. How anybody could be against this hire is beyond me.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #95
In Search of a Life

Whether you change the scheme or not, this defense needs talent.

With Houston/Ford/Jones and whatever we add in the offseason, I have no doubt Ryan would give us a significantly better defense in 2019.
staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.staylor26 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:33 PM   #96
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

I can really only laugh at the takes about talent lifting up Ryan’s units.

Well no shit. Every unit needs to good talent to be really good. Look at Wade Phillips with Denver and now the Rams. We’re not asking for anything elite. We need like top 15 level defense.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #97
Baby Cry Cry

Asked some Jets fans (ones who are literate and not actual reeruns) for their takes on Ryan, they think he’d be a very good fit. Here’s what one said, some good shit here:

“He was fantastic as the DC in Baltimore. I watched him his whole tenure with the Ravens. He had fantastic talent, certainly, but also got the absolute most out of it. I think they were like fifth or better in total defense every year with him. He's super aggressive, likes safeties that can play in the box, and plays a base 3-4 that operates more like a 4-3. He just has an LB with his hand in the dirt. With the aggressive blitzing, he relies on the CBs to play a lot of man. It's why Revis became such a sensation--he was always on his own with no help, with the safety either playing center field, in the box, or shading to the other side of the field.

As a head coach, he sucked. I mean, that guy was absolutely loved by his players. They would literally run through walls for him. He is a really unique motivator and will squeeze every last bit of talent out of his guys. However--he is a horrible game manager. He had no concept of what to do within two minutes or how to manage the clock in general. He burned an insane amount of unnecessary timeouts. He was the worst person I had ever seen at challenging calls; like, he'd challenge things that, had they been overturned successfully, would have made it third-and-8 instead of third-and-six. Just nonsense stuff. His teams were also pretty undisciplined. He was a "players coach" and his players probably took advantage of it.

Anyway, as a DC I think he could still be great. He's twice the mind of Rob, his more stupid, never-really-successful brother. I think Rex has been away from the spotlight for long enough to let the "circus" stuff subside...the tattoo, the foot thing, generally anything involving his wife, whatever. He could be a great DC. If he hadn't already come and gone from NYJ, I'd totally bring him in.“
St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM   #98
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor26 View Post
I mean it’s not going to be much different than Sutton’s scheme, but Ryan is a MUCH better coach.

I’m on board with Ryan, just don’t believe he’ll take a DC job. How anybody could be against this hire is beyond me.
No one is giving Rex Ryan a head coaching job. He proved that it was too much for him, which is fine. There are a lot of great coordinators that can't handle being a head coach, i.e. Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, etc.
Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Indian Chief Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #99
Baba Ganoush

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 View Post
Bob Sutton gets fired and immediately starts posting on Chiefsplanet.
In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.In58men is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:39 PM   #100
Plays to win the game!

Andy wants someone who'll take the Defense off his plate so he can focus on the Offense and Patrick Mahomes' grooming, similar to how Doug Pederson has things in Philly with Jim Schwartz. Rex or Marvin, given their coaching backgrounds, would fit the mold pretty well. I don't know any DC candidate that wouldn't be jumping at this opportunity, unless there's some hidden animosity there.
Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:41 PM   #101
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
I can really only laugh at the takes about talent lifting up Ryan’s units.

Well no shit. Every unit needs to good talent to be really good. Look at Wade Phillips with Denver and now the Rams. We’re not asking for anything elite. We need like top 15 level defense.
Well the stats don't lie when that talent doesn't get replaced or developed Ryan/Sutton's defenses take a nose dive. The scheme gets carried by all pro veterans. If you're asking a group of young guys to carry it or develop in it, it's terrible (Literally this year for the Chiefs for example.)
mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.mcaj22 wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:46 PM   #102
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaj22 View Post
Well the stats don't lie when that talent doesn't get replaced or developed Ryan/Sutton's defenses take a nose dive. The scheme gets carried by all pro veterans. If you're asking a group of young guys to carry it or develop in it, it's terrible (Literally this year for the Chiefs for example.)
That’s any defense though. Better players is going to mean better performance when all other factors (such as the DC) remain the same.

Someone else can run an offense similar to Andy Reid’s but that doesn’t mean they’re going to call games in the same manner or more importantly motivate players in the same way.

When have you ever heard someone say they loved playing for Bob Sutton or that he bred fire and confidence for a defense? We never have. And it shows on the field.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #103
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Chief View Post
No one is giving Rex Ryan a head coaching job. He proved that it was too much for him, which is fine. There are a lot of great coordinators that can't handle being a head coach, i.e. Norv Turner, Wade Phillips, etc.
I’m not saying they will.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #104
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Andy Reid called plays in 2014 for an offense that didn’t have a WR touchdown reception. This year there was like 30.

Talent matters. It is what it is. We need more of it REGARDLESS of who they hire. But I want a DC who will make adjustments and inspire his players.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:51 PM   #105
Don't Tug on Superman's Cape

If it’s Ryan I hope like hell he would modernize things and take that playbook and strip that thing down and make it easier to learn. That’s been a huge problem but Martindale has n Baltimore did that exact thing and found a way to make things easier. Buddy Ryan played a number of different defenses and his boys know them well. If he could drop his ego and do what Martindale did and for chriss sake don’t ask players to do things they aren’t capable off. Scheme to fit your personnel... then I’m ok with it.

Otherwise I want Spagnuolo. Britt would stay and I think he’s done very well. Mike Smith I have been pumped about since hearing him talk about teaching the OLBs and how he was going to go about it and then the results speak for themselves. I think he’s got a bit of Mike Vrabel in him. Harris I’m 50/50 on. I could see either way on him.

I mentioned GB ILB coach Patrick Graham who was in New England and the giants while spags was there. He’s strongly rumored to go to Miami to be their d for Flores who he knows well from NE.

Wade Phillips deciples are hard to find but Denver’s DC the last two years got hired as DB/pass game co just recently so I don’t know if he would be a possibly. Denver’s LB coach Reggie Herring has coached many different teams under Phillips.
booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.booger has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.