Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2019, 01:52 PM  
SuperBowl or bust

The case for Rex Ryan as new DC

Here’s why I’d be happy bringing in Rex Ryan to coach the defense...

1st is we wouldn’t need to overhaul the entire defense as the schemes are similar...but the philosophy is different.

Bob Sutton’s years as NYJs DC team rankings

First year
13th yards ...6th in points
2nd year
18th yards...19th points
3rd year
17th yards...18th points

Rex Ryan takes over HC the following year in09

1st year
1st in yards...1st in points

2nd year
3rd in yards....6th in points

Drastic and immediate improvement

More stats to come on why I think Rex would be a good hire...
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #211
Rufus Dawes Jr.

maybe he can alter that tat of his to look like Mahomes
Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Hoover 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 PM   #212
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 View Post
The Defense Sutton originally installed was not all that different. We blitzed heavily the first few years. The new NFL is built around pushing the pocket into the QB as fast as possible. Speed off the edges. Speed at LB to cover the distance of a spread offense. An attack mentality vs. read and react. Arguably, the Chiefs are further along than Ryan's Defense. They got rid of a few of those things. If Ryan comes back, he has to do something really different than what's he done in the past. He can't rely on 2-gap. Can't do that read and react shit. Has to cut down Dime. Has to prioritize speed over size.
Maybe. I do remember it being more aggressive but over the last few seasons, it really resembled nothing like a Rex Ryan defense. However, Sutton's defense has always been bend but don't break in KC. Rex Ryan's weren't. Buffalo's issue was because of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 IMO.

I'll keep going back to the Ravens, who IMO, have the best defense in football. That is a Rex Ryan Defense. They are an ultra aggressive team that attacks like no one's business. They have no stars in the defensive backfield. Their MLB is a stud though. Suggs is older and not as dominant, but still a good player. They are just very well coached.

Rex Ryan is an alpha male coach; Bob Sutton is a beta male. With Reid giving complete defensive authority to the DC you need that alpha. This defense needs someone to get in their asses when they make a mistake or go off script. It needs discipline and solid coaching. It needs someone that can put the players in a position to win.

Rex Ryan has vaulted to my #1 choice. (It can change though because I was high on Spags for a few hours now I'm very low on him)

Last edited by jaa1025; 01-23-2019 at 12:02 AM..
jaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 AM   #213
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1025 View Post
Maybe. I do remember it being more aggressive but over the last few seasons, it really resembled nothing like a Rex Ryan defense. However, Sutton's defense has always been bend but don't break in KC. Rex Ryan's weren't. Buffalo's issue was because of switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 IMO.

I'll keep going back to the Ravens, who IMO, have the best defense in football. That is a Rex Ryan Defense. They are an ultra aggressive team that attacks like no one's business. They have no stars in the defensive backfield. Their MLB is a stud though. Suggs is older and not as dominant, but still a good player. They are just very well coached.

Rex Ryan is an alpha male coach; Bob Sutton is a beta male. With Reid giving complete defensive authority to the DC you need that alpha. This defense needs someone to get in their asses when they make a mistake or go off script. It needs discipline and solid coaching. It needs someone that can put the players in a position to win.

Rex Ryan has vaulted to my #1 choice. (It can change though because I was high on Spags for a few hours now I'm very low on him)
The write-up on what went wrong in Buffalo has a great point. Ryan's blitz schemes were built for pocket QBs who go back on 5-step, 7-step drops. Today's NFL that ball is out in less than a few seconds. Those blitzes are way too slow developing and without a Revis to block off an entire part of the field, how good effective are they really. We need DTs that push the pocket into the QB, not space eaters and Mike Devitos. We need undersized speed guys like Mosley, not thumpers like Ragland (yup, Ryan not only drafted him... he begged for him) and Bart Scott.

Now if we're talking about the new look Ravens defense, I'm 100% for it and ecstatic we're talking to Chris Hewitt. But the Ryan scheme is obsolete unless he changes something.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #214
www.nfl-forecast.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
People are going to shit on the idea but here’s why I think it’s solid.

Rex is a guy who will inspire the room. He will give them confidence and have them playing hard with swagger. That’s something we’ve lacked desperately the past few years.
On the few occasions that Hitchens made any kind of play on Sunday he was strutting and preening like Nature Boy Kirby. I was embarrassed for him. Swagger is the least of our problems.
cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.cdcox is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #215
Starter

I don't see

Rex and Andy co-existing.
Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.Katie would the whole thing.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:39 AM   #216
MVP

That's just not going to happen. Ryan's not going to mesh with Reid.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #217
Reset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlsian View Post
Gregg Williams would be nice. Maybe the players will stop playing so soft
He got hired by the Jets
2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.2112 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:51 AM   #218
Banned

Quote:
The write-up on what went wrong in Buffalo has a great point. Ryan's blitz schemes were built for pocket QBs who go back on 5-step, 7-step drops. Today's NFL that ball is out in less than a few seconds. Those blitzes are way too slow developing and without a Revis to block off an entire part of the field, how good effective are they really. We need DTs that push the pocket into the QB, not space eaters and Mike Devitos. We need undersized speed guys like Mosley, not thumpers like Ragland (yup, Ryan not only drafted him... he begged for him) and Bart Scott.

Now if we're talking about the new look Ravens defense, I'm 100% for it and ecstatic we're talking to Chris Hewitt. But the Ryan scheme is obsolete unless he changes something.
this.

NO OLD DCs.

NO RETREADS.
Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Dr. Yu Weed Tard has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #219
MVP

Quote:

I think that's right about Ryan's D (and Sutton's) not working any more. The ball is out too quickly. We're almost certainly not going to have a dominant D, no matter who we hire and what players we draft/sign, given the new rules and the quick releases. We just need a D that can confuse the O enough to generate some TOs and three and outs. Additionally, I'd play aggressive and error on the side of allowing big plays. With our O, we just don't want 8 minutes drives against us.
FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.FringeNC would the whole thing.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #220
THIS .... IS... ARROWHEAD!!!!

9 of 12 years coaching having a top 10 defense
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:26 AM   #221
ON CP YOU’RE SOMEBODY’S BITCH!

I’m all about it for 3 reasons:

1.) He is an obvious bright defensive mind.

2.) He can be funny/entertaining... I love hearing him talk shit to the players from the sideline.

3.) The media likes to keep up with his shenanigans. The little extra media attention he will bring to the team by simply being himself would be great... I want the Chiefs to attain as much media attention as possible. Keep the Chiefs in a spot where they are too interesting and entertaining to where your big sports news networks have no choice but to routinely cover the Chiefs because the average fan wants to see it. Keep that bandwagon going. And in order to do so, gotta keep the Chiefs interesting, entertaining and a perennial threat to win. I want the Chiefs to become the premier football darlings of the Midwest in this generation that will spawn fans from all over the country who will have kids who will be Chiefs fans because their dads became Chiefs fans during the exciting Mahomes era. Kind of like the widespread fan base the Packers and Steelers have... or hell, the Cowboys. Tons of Cowboys, Steelers and Packers fans all over the place today because they had fans from around the nation who joined the bandwagon when they were hot... I want the Chiefs to have an era like that, where they were so good and entertaining, that a ton of people became Chiefs fans and stayed that way for generations. It seems like with those types of teams (the traditional powerhouses), that there is more of a consistent push to keep these teams relevant. I want the Chiefs to have an era where they are so good, that they will be infinitely relevant to the general spectator.

And what’s better way to receive the torch... The clash of the legend and the future at QB. The whole Gronk-Kelce thing. Reid, being a likable guy and a notoriously creative coach with his offense. And the whole Bellichik-Rex Ryan rivalry would be icing on the cake and something the NFL would run with... with all the shit that they’ve talked to each other, hell...there wouldn’t be a much more satisfying way to ending the Patriots reign with Mahomes-Reid-Ryan... a win like that would make up for this past weekend.
rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.rico is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #222
In Search of a Life

I don't know how Rex and Rob Ryan's defenses compare, but Rob's was pretty much crap in Dallas and New Orleans. I apologize if someone has already mentioned this. I have not read the thread.
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
I don't know how Rex and Rob Ryan's defenses compare, but Rob's was pretty much crap in Dallas and New Orleans. I apologize if someone has already mentioned this. I have not read the thread.
Simple answer is they don’t compare, Rex has always been the better coach
BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.BleedingRed is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #224
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
Simple answer is they don’t compare, Rex has always been the better coach
While the second part is probably accurate, I'm guessing there are more similarities than differences within the scheme/philosophy of the defense.
Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Coogs is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:52 AM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coogs View Post
While the second part is probably accurate, I'm guessing there are more similarities than differences within the scheme/philosophy of the defense.
There are,

But the Scheme is not the problem, the adjustments were.

Rob Ryan was never good at making adjustments in game, he was just a rah rah guy.

Rex Ryan has proven to make many adjustments to game plans during and before. Not only that he does have ahead Coaching exp, so Andy can keep sitting on bench with Mahome and Rex can take over.

People claiming these schemes are old and don’t work don’t know football. Wade Phillips scheme hasn’t changed at all, but he can make adjustments.