Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-21-2019, 10:15 AM  
In Search of a Life

No Chris Jones at OTA's.

O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #451
I missed '69!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It'll be hard to hunt 'em up, to be honest.

I noticed it around week 5 or 6 when I was trying to figure out why our run defense was just so god-awful. They had more talent than that. So I started watching individual guys along the line on a play to play basis. That's when I realized that Williams was a pretty lousy run-defender despite having the frame to do the job. It's also how I became such a Stan for Nnadi. You watch the play and you'll never notice him. You watch him, OTOH, and so many little things he does jump out at you. (This was also when I realized that Justin Houston was, to my surprise, a pretty shitty run defender as well all of the sudden)

So when you have those two on opposite sides of the spectrum and you watch what Jones is doing out there - he's WAAAAY closer to the Williams side than the Nnadi side. He was constantly looking to penetrate. Even on the run plays he made, that was how he did it. But the problem is that you could watch the linebackers behind him trying to read the running lanes and they just couldn't do it because he'd just LEEEROOOOOOY JEEENKINS!!! shit and blast forward. In the process he'd absolutely hang them out to dry.

I don't know that I ever saw a real breakdown of his run defense because he was kindof a sacred cow last year. He's damn likeable and he made big plays so people didn't criticize him much. But starting in October and through the rest of the season I know we had several conversations 'round these parts where we'd talk about it.

It's not a new thing and it's not smoke blowing by the Chiefs. He was constantly going out there and trying to 1-gap. At times it made for big plays but just as often it hung out the guys playing around him.
Leroy is in my head now. One of the best vids ever.
Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Redbled must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #452
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
I don't know that I ever saw a real breakdown of his run defense because he was kindof a sacred cow last year. He's damn likeable and he made big plays so people didn't criticize him much. But starting in October and through the rest of the season I know we had several conversations 'round these parts where we'd talk about it.
Yeah i kinda assumed he was playing undisciplined run defense, but never wanted to confirm that so i havent watched him. I didnt want it to be true! haha.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #453
In Search of a Life

Quote:
It'll be hard to hunt 'em up, to be honest.

I noticed it around week 5 or 6 when I was trying to figure out why our run defense was just so god-awful. They had more talent than that. So I started watching individual guys along the line on a play to play basis. That's when I realized that Williams was a pretty lousy run-defender despite having the frame to do the job. It's also how I became such a Stan for Nnadi. You watch the play and you'll never notice him. You watch him, OTOH, and so many little things he does jump out at you. (This was also when I realized that Justin Houston was, to my surprise, a pretty shitty run defender as well all of the sudden)

So when you have those two on opposite sides of the spectrum and you watch what Jones is doing out there - he's WAAAAY closer to the Williams side than the Nnadi side. He was constantly looking to penetrate. Even on the run plays he made, that was how he did it. But the problem is that you could watch the linebackers behind him trying to read the running lanes and they just couldn't do it because he'd just LEEEROOOOOOY JEEENKINS!!! shit and blast forward. In the process he'd absolutely hang them out to dry.

It's not a new thing and it's not smoke blowing by the Chiefs. He was constantly going out there and trying to 1-gap. At times it made for big plays but just as often it hung out the guys playing around him.
Accurate.

I do wonder how much he was just saying **** it and going straight for the gold vs werthers originals telling him to do it or just plain not giving the slightest ****.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:34 PM   #454
Andy Reid Supporter

RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #455
In Search of a Life

Little more from spotrac
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:29 AM   #456
In Search of a Life

Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM   #457
In Search of a Life

Seems Jones not showing up so far is a pretty poor strategy. He should have come in and torn shit up, showed he was in great shape and then negotiated. Whatever shortcomings the Chiefs think he has, could have been talked about and worked on during practice to show he can overcome them. Now both sides are entrenched in the past. Spags could have worked one on one with him and then reported that Jones does not fit in what he wants to do this season - or pay the man.

Jones deserves more money- but if you want a raise you have to negotiate for it- he drew a line in the sand and left no options but his.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 AM   #458
In Search of a Life

He has to report by Aug 6 or he becomes a RFA
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.MAHOMO 4 LIFE! Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #459
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

He's gonna report; no worries there.

And in the end he'll probably get something at/near Cox's deal.

I just don't think it's the slam dunk some folks do. It's probably a deal you give him one way or the other, but I don't think you can be shocked if it ends up blowing up in your face on ya.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:01 AM   #460
In Search of a Life

Quote:
He's gonna report; no worries there.

And in the end he'll probably get something at/near Cox's deal.

I just don't think it's the slam dunk some folks do. It's probably a deal you give him one way or the other, but I don't think you can be shocked if it ends up blowing up in your face on ya.
It's just a situation where I don't think you have to do anything until the time comes.

I know he wants to be paid now, but the Chiefs have him for 3 years at whatever that cost is. I'm guessing they may add a little bit in there to help entice a little, but in the end, he's not a perfect player.

Come in this year, show them what you've got and if you take it to the next level you'll get paid.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:07 AM   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
It's just a situation where I don't think you have to do anything until the time comes.

I know he wants to be paid now, but the Chiefs have him for 3 years at whatever that cost is. I'm guessing they may add a little bit in there to help entice a little, but in the end, he's not a perfect player.

Come in this year, show them what you've got and if you take it to the next level you'll get paid.
Here's the problem though - you're about to have the highest paid player in the game on your team. Highest. By a lot. And who's salary presently really isn't in the budget at all.

This isn't trying to get someone from $12 million/season to $20 million/season. You already have $12 million in your structure that way. This is going from $5 million to probably something like $35-40 million. You're going to need to find $30+ million in extra cap space.

If you hope to do that AND keep a quality team around him, you can't 1) trade 1st round picks for Frank !@#$ing Clark...ugh...back to the topic at hand, you can't 2) sign guys when you absolutely have to.

You have to sign them early. And you have to be right. You need to approach Jones BEFORE you're left fighting with him in FA and using the tag. Same with Hill. The Chiefs have to use every single tool at their disposal to get those cap figures pared down and the only way to do that, in most cases, is to come at them early and trade risk for AAV.

It's a massive gamble and you'd better be right, but I don't think you can afford not to do it either. That's just the nature of trying to keep a young team intact in a cap league.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #462
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Here's the problem though - you're about to have the highest paid player in the game on your team. Highest. By a lot. And who's salary presently really isn't in the budget at all.

This isn't trying to get someone from $12 million/season to $20 million/season. You already have $12 million in your structure that way. This is going from $5 million to probably something like $35-40 million. You're going to need to find $30+ million in extra cap space.

If you hope to do that AND keep a quality team around him, you can't 1) trade 1st round picks for Frank !@#$ing Clark...ugh...back to the topic at hand, you can't 2) sign guys when you absolutely have to.

You have to sign them early. And you have to be right. You need to approach Jones BEFORE you're left fighting with him in FA and using the tag. Same with Hill. The Chiefs have to use every single tool at their disposal to get those cap figures pared down and the only way to do that, in most cases, is to come at them early and trade risk for AAV.

It's a massive gamble and you'd better be right, but I don't think you can afford not to do it either. That's just the nature of trying to keep a young team intact in a cap league.
I don't know what they'll do with Mahomes. There's been some whispers that he may go shorter with more guarantees, I dunno what that means to be honest.

Similarly i'd like to see them get Fuller under a nice deal that could save some, similar to Kelce.

But in the end, if Jones wants more than they're willing to give, whats your options?
Old 07-15-2019, 10:22 AM   #463
MVP

i think theres a chance they play jones then trade him next year on the tag and already have his replacement on the roster in khalen saunders. recoup some frank clark picks, save money, and get a more spags prototypical 3 tech.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
But in the end, if Jones wants more than they're willing to give, whats your options?
Hope that Saunders steps up and Clark turns out to be worth what they're paying him.

That's why the Clark move is so spotty, IMO. It's not just the draft capital, it's the opportunity cost. If you lose Jones (or Hill or Fuller) because you can't afford to pay for all of 'em, then that has to be tossed onto the pile of assets you surrendered to bring Clark in here.

Bottom line is that Frank Clark has to be better than he's ever been to make this a good trade for the Chiefs. I just don't see that as being terribly likely but we shall see...
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #465
Andy Reid Supporter

Quote:

All Veach has to do is two things that will cure all no matter what happens with FA’s: draft well and find value.

Find good players in the draft and find value players like Albert Wilson, Austin Reiter, Andrew Wylie, etc and we’ll be good.

I think Veach did a nice job of that this Spring. We’ll see
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.