Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM  
BAMF

Strouds fried chicken

A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:33 AM   #106
u b illian

They've got one in Wichita too. Damn good food! I'm more of a chicken fried steak guy than fried chicken, but that is great too. Love those desert cinnamon rolls!!
ct 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellict 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 09-01-2005, 07:39 AM   #107
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxford
At least you have Rockin Baja lobster.....
But it wasn't a rock... It was a ROCK LOBSTER!
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:40 AM   #108
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I proudly took the wife to eat at Strouds this evening, hoping to share a little KC culture with her. We were both disappointed.

Overrated. Vastly.

I'd rather pay for Popeyes chicken 10 times than be given a plate of Stroud's fried chicken.

Everything else was outstanding, but their chicken is bland and sucks. I won't eat that nastiness again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggysack
It's just my opinion but, I think Stroud's chicken is overrated. It tastes like plain ol' fried chicken to me without very much flavor at all. It's great if you like bland country cooking. To those of us that like spices that you can taste, it ain't that great.
See, if you have just listened to me you woulda saved yourself some money.
Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Abba-Dabba Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #109
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggysack
See, if you have just listened to me you woulda saved yourself some money.
I prefer Popeye's for Chicken too....but like you and Phil, I prefer spicey. Stroud's (at least, Stroud's NORTH) is good though, as I recall...but the sides and rest of the meal is what really made it.
Mr. Kotter has disabled reputation
Old 09-01-2005, 07:43 AM   #110
Just a man in the 'ghan

Yup. Give me some Bojangles with taters on the side and 1 each BooBerry and Cinnamon biscuit to top it off. Or some spicy Popeyes with red beans and rice and tater wedges.
CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #111
Drunk in the Neighborhood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter
I prefer Popeye's for Chicken too....but like you and Phil, I prefer spicey. Stroud's (at least, Stroud's NORTH) is good though, as I recall...but the sides and rest of the meal is what really made it.
Yeah. The Stroud's up north is the stuff.
tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.tomahawk kid must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #112
The 23rd Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIEF4EVER
Yup. Give me some Bojangles with taters on the side and 1 each BooBerry and Cinnamon biscuit to top it off. Or some spicy Popeyes with red beans and rice and tater wedges.
I love Popeye's red beans and rice. Their spicy mashed potatoes and gravy is awesome too. I just realized that I don't eat there often enough now that I've moved back to KC.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:44 AM   #113
Just a man in the 'ghan

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu
I love Popeye's red beans and rice. Their spicy mashed potatoes and gravy is awesome too. I just realized that I don't eat there often enough now that I've moved back to KC.
When I am on the road, I often stop at a TA Truck Stop over another just because they have Popeyes. Love that spicy chicken w/ red beans and rice.
CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.CHIEF4EVER is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM   #114
Veteran

Quote:
Bryants has dry brisket, but their sauce kicks ass.
their burnt ends are good, but I've always thought their sauces were sh1tty. Too much vinegar.
GoTrav is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.GoTrav is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:24 AM   #115
Phobia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Ice
their burnt ends are good, but I've always thought their sauces were sh1tty. Too much vinegar.
I can see that. Lots of people like their sauces loaded with brown sugar. I like a sauce loaded with brown sugar and a vinegar sauce. I also like Carolina style mustard based sauce.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:25 PM   #116
Supporter

Quote:
It wasn't shitty. It was overrated. The batter was bland and the meat dried out. I'm supremely confident I could do better.
Sorry you had a bad experience. Glad I never have. And so far as the 'dried out' part, it has consistently been my experience that one should eat a fresh piece from Strouds with a napkin tucked in your collar, because the juices friggen shower you.

I guess it's like if the only Chiefs game you'd ever seen was the one where the Rams shut them out at home, with Montana at the helm.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:37 PM   #117
Supporter

They can say what they want about "uncertainty", but I am certain it closed because this location sucked so bad (aside from the shitty building and parking lot).

Went to this one once...then never went back. The one up north is and always has been aces though.

Stroud’s Restaurant closes Fairway location due to uncertainty, deteriorating property

FAIRWAY, Kan. — After waiting for a clear path forward and not finding one, Stroud’s closed its restaurant in Fairway, according to a statement on Tuesday, Oct. 1.

The doors shut on Sept. 30, Stroud’s statement said, after the company was faced with an uncertain redevelopment timeline in the area and deteriorating property. The restaurant’s location has been open for 11 years, a short time compared to the business’s 86-year history.

A spokesperson with Stroud’s said they entered a short-term lease when they were informed of the redevelopment project several years ago. They said the development’s timeline has remained unclear, and the property, including the building and parking lot, has fallen into disrepair.

“Rather than invest significantly in a new building and parking lot we may only occupy for a short time, it became inevitable that we should close our Fairway location,” the spokesperson said in the statement.

This location opened in 2008, replacing the original restaurant’s location at 85th and Troost. That first location opened in 1933 and closed in 2006.

The statement said all 25 employees of the Fairway location will be offered jobs at the other restaurants.

https://fox4kc.com/2019/10/01/stroud...ting-property/
alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.alpha_omega is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #118
'Tis my eye!

htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #119
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Went to Strouds for my rehearsal dinner because I'm classy as hell like that.

Anytime I'm back in town I'll go a little later and can usually wrangle a couple big ol' foam cups of gravy to take back to Columbia with me and freeze. G'damn I love that pepper gravy and without a whole vat of chicken fat/drippings to work with, I'll never be able to recreate it.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #120
When a nightmare becomes real

This thread is ****in 14 years old
Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.Saulbadguy threw an interception on a screen pass.