Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 08-10-2005, 08:09 PM  
BAMF

Strouds fried chicken

A few months back, while in KC, my relatives took me to a dumpy old joint called Strouds that looked like it was converted from a house. Despite the exterior, the inside was hospitable. They had the best damn fried chicken I've ever eaten, and serve enough food to make Whitlock uncomfortable. I know the next time I'm in town, I'll desperately be searching for that place.

Has anyone else ever eaten there? Are they famous in town for their chicken, or am I just sheltered?
jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.jspchief threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #136
The 23rd Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Eye View Post
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
I know the place you're talking about, but I don't think I ever knew the name and I haven't driven through that area in a long time.

Edit: I tried to find it on yelp with no luck so it might be gone.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #137
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Speaking of KC restaurants that are no more, what was the name of the restaurant that was a little west of Metro North on the north side of Barry Road. It was set back off the road a bit and it looked like a country club. My memory of it may not be perfect because it was a long time ago, but I remember it being one of those places you go for prom and such. Hell, it may still exist, but I don’t think so. I never have the need to go to that part of town though, so I can’t be sure.
Rembrandts? Looooong gone if it's the place I'm thinking of.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:52 PM   #138
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
I know the place you're talking about, but I don't think I ever knew the name and I haven't driven through that area in a long time.

Edit: I tried to find it on yelp with no luck so it might be gone.
I feel like it began with a “B”, but I’ll probably be proven wrong.
Third Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #139
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
Rembrandts? Looooong gone if it's the place I'm thinking of.
I feel like it may have rebranded as Rembrandt’s. That’s definitely not the name I remember it by though.

Edit: after looking at the map, that is definitely the place, but that is not the original name.
Third Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliThird Eye 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #140
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
I feel like it may have rebranded as Rembrandt’s. That’s definitely not the name I remember it by though.
Looks like the building is still there; a real estate company appears to have taken it over.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2464...7i16384!8i8192

2820 nw barry road. Not sure if that's the place you're thinking of but 'set off the road and looks like a country club'....well, this sure qualifies.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:01 PM   #141
Fight, build, win!

Quote:
I feel like it began with a “B”, but I’ll probably be proven wrong.
Bennigans?
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:05 PM   #142
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like the building is still there; a real estate company appears to have taken it over.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2464...7i16384!8i8192

2820 nw barry road. Not sure if that's the place you're thinking of but 'set off the road and looks like a country club'....well, this sure qualifies.
That’s definitely the place, but I guess my memory regarding the name was off. I’ve been googling and everything refers to it being Rembrandt’s. That’s definitely a recognizable name too, so I’m not sure why something is still bugging me about it.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #143
Starter

Quote:
Side Note: This thread makes me oddly nostalgic for some of the old restaurants that have closed down like Stephenson's Apple Orchard and The Golden Ox.

I can't say I went to either of them more than 3-4 times as a kid, but those were places that had been around for 50-60+ years and just couldn't survive the chain explosions. Now a lot of those chains are struggling and places that could make it through that lean stretch are recovering nicely.

Always happy to see places like that keep their lights on.
Ahh man, my parents used to take me to Sunday brunch buffet at the Stephenson's north of the river near 1-29 and 64th street when I was a kid. Loved it. I never made it out to the main location.

Papa Nick's 21-21 on Antioch in Gladstone....felt like a Goodfella's style mafia restaurant, dark and smoky. I honestly don't remember the food but I loved the atmosphere.

Annie's Sante Fe at Bannister Mall in the 80s... looking back I doubt the food was particularly special as a kid I loved that place's beef enchiladas and cheese dip.
I miss the 80's style indoor malls like Bannister and Metro North. Grab a taco dog at Taco Via and beg my Mom for a new Commodore 64 game from Babbages.

One place I hope never closes is FunHouse Pizza on 40 hwy.
FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.FlorentinePogen must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:54 PM   #144
Leto Atreides for Prez 2024

With the addition to Guses Fried Chicken around town, why would you go to Strouds? Very overrated food.
BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.BWillie is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #145
Be Kind To Your Pets

The Stroud's in Fairway recently closed for repairs. Sorry if that was mentioned before...
gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.gblowfish is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #146
Forever Royal

I remember going to Ponderosa a lot growing up. As a kid it was probably where I first learned about all you can eat soft serve and endless toppings.
mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:56 PM   #147
Snacks Are Under My Apron

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvy View Post
Bennigans?
That Monte Cristo was fire
threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:16 AM   #148
Starter

Quote:
That’s definitely the place, but I guess my memory regarding the name was off. I’ve been googling and everything refers to it being Rembrandt’s. That’s definitely a recognizable name too, so I’m not sure why something is still bugging me about it.
It was originally called the Dinner Horn, then it became Rembrandts. As mentioned, now it's a real estate office.

Check out the old postcard -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/KANSAS-CITY...-/264103113634
asdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutasdf is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:41 AM   #149
MVP

Italian Gardens downtown and Golden Ox by the old stockyards were the two best (non BBQ) restaurants in KC when I was young. I assume both are gone. In high school I worked with LC Richardson (later opened LCs) at the Royals Stadium club fetching his prime rib, and eating his BBQ changed my life. But for cheap steak I do remember Ponderosa and Bonanza fit the bill.
jerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijerryaldini 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 10-02-2019, 03:01 AM   #150
Politically Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryaldini View Post
But for cheap steak I do remember Ponderosa and Bonanza fit the bill.
You stepped into the way back machine for these two.

I remember that one of them had the best Texas Toast I ever had. Crispy, garlicky flavor and full of real butter.

Their steaks were satisfactory for what they charged and were most were located; inside of malls.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.