Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2015, 08:45 AM  
Supporter

Fire Me Boy! What's For Dinner? Thread

Since the other one got too big, let's keep the food truck rolling. Whacha got?

Vol 2. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=285408

Last edited by Buehler445; 03-02-2020 at 09:14 AM..
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:52 AM   #15571
Resident Glue Sniffer

been having some very bad luck / outcomes cooking lately. might have lost my touch.

cooked a big ribeye for my wife and I to split for dinner with a tater on Sunday. Turned out like absolute ass.
not sure if its my gas grill (yeah, I know...I havn't replaced my weber kettle yet) just doesn't get hot enough to sear or what. seasoned everything up like I normally would. outside of the meat left behind most of the seasoning when I flipped. and outside didn't even any carmelization. it was just this grey looking meat.

plus the meat thermometer I use, is a POS and it went into the trash. Digital read out, but was ALWAYS wrong. Pulled them off around 143-ish, and let rest for about 8 minutes. cut into them. way way under medium.

I need to just go back to the old method; meat over heat from coals, and push test for doneness like I used to do.
REALLY disappointed in the Weber gas grill I bought a year ago. It's good for virtually nothing. I 'might' get a good batch of burgers off it but that's it. I don't even want to cook on it anymore. in fact, Sunday was probably the 3rd time I've used it all year.

had my weber kettle since 2002 until we moved in 2018. sat outdoors uncovered the entire time. replaced the grates 3 times. awesome grill. This current gas one, just seems like it doesn't have the umph to do anything worthwhile on it.
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #15572
MVP

I have a grey porcelain Weber kettle that I found in basement on outbuilding on a house I bought. It's twice as heavy as 20 year old model I've never replaced a grate but never put charcoal on bottom grate as I use a basket

1: seasoning sticking: put seasoning on dry meat with salt and pepper applied first (brine) when spices are moist you can sear (Mustard is a great binder) Grill oiled with veggie oil? Grill hot? Not 3 potato hot when meat went on?

Searing both sides hard and wrapping or finishing on indirect heat is my favorite method on a gas grill unless there is lots of marbling.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:55 AM   #15573
Resident Glue Sniffer

yeah; I usually put a thin coat of some sort of fat on it before grilling; either butter (sometimes clarified), or oil; use as a binder for seasoning.
also oil grates with a paper towel soaked in oil.
put meat on when grill is humming at 600 (at least according to the thermometer int he lid).

dunno.; never had this problem before. even on my other old weber gas. It's just something about this one.....i've never been able to grill anything worth a F on it since i bought it last year. other than thin burgers. thicker burgers are even a problem. same as the steak; the bugers will 'cook' and be done from a temp standpoint; but the outside is just gray and not even carmelized.

it's so odd. I fancy myself a good cook and griller and have had great success for years ; people/wife loved the results. I think this grill is cursed.

I think I've got one more attempt in me. Gonna get some good beef and give it another go. if the results are the same, the grill is going away and I'm going back to a kettle / charcoal.
Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dayze is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #15574
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post
yeah; I usually put a thin coat of some sort of fat on it before grilling; either butter (sometimes clarified), or oil; use as a binder for seasoning.
put meat on when grill is humming at 600 (at least according to the thermometer int he lid).

dunno.; never had this problem before. even on my other old weber gas. It's just something about this one.....i've never been able to grill anything worth a F on it since i bought it last year. other than thin burgers. thicker burgers are even a problem. same as the steak; the bugers will 'cook' and be done from a temp standpoint; but the outside is just gray and not even carmelized.

it's so odd. I fancy myself a good cook and griller and have had great success for years ; people/wife loved the results. I think this grill is cursed.

I think I've got one more attempt in me. Gonna get some good beef and give it another go. if the results are the same, the grill is going away and I'm going back to a kettle / charcoal.
I've found that these "new fangled" pretty stainless grills (because that's what I bought into) tend to lack the bulk weight and wall thickness to keep temperatures steady. I know my new "sexy looking" grill tends to have issues with nothing more than wind.

I know this, my next grill (when this stainless POS rusts-out) will be a hunk of iron that they'll need to weld together on my deck.

I'm tempted to find a way to add fire bricks (the bricks they make pizza ovens with) to my grill, just to allow the grill to better maintain temp. Hell, it's worth a try...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #15575
MVP

Have you called the maker and bitched? My neighbor did that and they (Sam's club) sent him instructions to replace some part of the burners near the heat controls.He seams happy now.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #15576
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
Have you called the maker and bitched? My neighbor did that and they (Sam's club) sent him instructions to replace some part of the burners near the heat controls.He seams happy now.
I could try that, but I'd rather just let this one rust-out and buy a real grill next time. It won't be sexy, it won't look like a piece of deck art, but it'll be big, heavy, and hold temp at exactly where I set it.

I've learned my lesson about buying "affordable" grills. You pay for it in so many ways, most of them in flavor and texture.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #15577
MVP

They may say"yes we know...May I havean address to have your upgrade sent?
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM   #15578
Suupraa Geniuuusss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayze View Post

Had that problem with a couple pans back in the day. Thought I was being smart and saving a lot of money buying some cheap Wal-mart pans. Damn things ruined more food than I can remember. That's when i bit the bullet and went back to good ole cast iron. Never had to look back.

Don't know how you feel about sous vide in general, but I haven't found a method more reliably consistent. Perfect doneness every single time as long as I get the water temp right.

And I do the poor man's version; I put the approriate temp water (about 4 gallons) into an old Coleman ice chest and just drop the packaged meat in for the specified amount of time (a typical ice chest will lose heat about 1 degree per hour). A pair of 2-inch thick ribeyes go in for about 3-4 hours, give the water a stir about every 90 minutes. Seasoning is done exactly the same as normal, maybe just a little less salt (salt seems to really melt into the meat), and a tablespoon of olive oil.

For grilling I just fill the coal chimney to the top, or if I'm out of charcoal I turn the gas grill on MAX for at least 30 minutes before the meat goes on. I'm only trying to char the outside so I don't care about the actual heat as long as it's really damned hot. Usually it's about 2 minutes per side. If it's not charred enough after that, I take them off and hit them with the chef's torch.

The other method for putting char on that I use is a blazing hot cast iron pan. Same 2 minutes per side usually does it. I take a pat of room temp butter and smear it on the steak right before hitting the pan. That way I avoid having the butter burn before I even get the meat in there. You can smear another pat on the top side while the bottom is searing, but I usually don't because I don't really look at the plate-side of my steaks for char, and usually there's just enough fat in there to sufficiently char the other side.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #15579
Suupraa Geniuuusss

I just realized that I should've mentioned that gas grills never get as hot as charcoal. That may be your real problem.
Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Megatron96 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #15580
MVP

Right, you give up heat for convenience of a propane tank,ever try MAP gas?

https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/atta...1&d=1505095628

IMHO when you get sculpture you get shitty burners/ valves. There a gas grill I used to cook with called a Ducane. It was cast aluminum and converted to Natural Gas so no tank BS, It was made with heavy stainless flare guards. It had been modded to accept ceramic/ porcelain? tiles to get the smoke from the fat without the flames as it is drained into the holes and the tiles defused the flames. I recall they helped with holding the heat. The stock Ducane worked well, but was pricey, but the tiles imparted more flavor.

These may be what you are looking for.

I still say that you should send pics and post them here along with a letter to the person who's job it is to keep your story from becoming a talking point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron96 View Post
I just realized that I should've mentioned that gas grills never get as hot as charcoal. That may be your real problem.

Last edited by cooper barrett; 09-23-2020 at 11:57 PM..
Old 09-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #15581
'Tis my eye!

My daughter brought me home some "briskuits" and gravy.

Her boss decided to chop up some brisket and put it in white gravy, instead of sausage.

Interesting take on classic biscuits and gravy. Pretty good.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #15582
Draconian Warlord

my favorite thread to lurk on....
burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.burt has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:21 AM   #15583
MVP

Had that years ago, Try a decent cab with it. FYI Their better when you're toasted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
My daughter brought me home some "briskuits" and gravy.

Her boss decided to chop up some brisket and put it in white gravy, instead of sausage.

Interesting take on classic biscuits and gravy. Pretty good.
Old 09-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #15584
pie is never free

Huge pot of scratch vegetable beef soup made with a 2 pound chuck roast and beef bone broth

Par cooked the roast, then cut it up into chunks and added to the soup... this bad boy is LOADED

Carrot
Onion
Peas
Corn
Garden tomato
Cabbage
Taters
Garlic

Throw in some buttered crackers and get down, cant wait for some healthy comfort food
Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Easy 6 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:42 PM   #15585
MVP

Smells great from here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy 6 View Post
Huge pot of scratch vegetable beef soup made with a 2 pound chuck roast and beef bone broth

Par cooked the roast, then cut it up into chunks and added to the soup... this bad boy is LOADED

Carrot
Onion
Peas
Corn
Garden tomato
Cabbage
Taters
Garlic

Throw in some buttered crackers and get down, cant wait for some healthy comfort food
I did that last weekend using pork butt and rib bones, Smoked a slab to the point where you could pull the bones and cartilage easily (burnt) and pulled it apart. I had some lean brisket in freezer that went in along with some pearl onions

ever try Brussels sprouts?

I am not a fan of corn in soups other than it's sorta texture

Last edited by cooper barrett; 09-26-2020 at 04:49 PM..