Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 PM  
The Boom Boom Room

Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Movie Will Be R-Rated; Zeroing in on Writer

http://collider.com/quentin-tarantin...mpression=true

The Curious Case of Quentin Tarantino’s Star Trek Movie keeps getting weirder and weirder. The news itself was the first off-the-wall idea, with word breaking earlier this week that Tarantino had pitched an idea for a Star Trek movie to producer J.J. Abrams, who sparked to the pitch and quickly made this official. A writers room was assembled incredibly quickly, and Tarantino spent hours with scribes Mark L. Smith (The Revenant), Lindsey Beer (Chaos Walking), and Drew Pearce (Iron Man 3) to kick around ideas on how to tackle Tarantino’s approach.

Per Deadline, Smith is currently the frontrunner to land the job, but the bigger news is that this Star Trek movie will be R-rated. This was a condition of Tarantino being involved, and one that both Abrams and Paramount agreed to. It’s a first for the franchise, but Paramount is in something of a bind as the series has yet to really take off the way it had hoped at the box office, so clearly they’ve sparked to this left-field idea of having Quentin Freaking Tarantino direct it.

There’s no guarantee Tarantino will direct this movie, but the idea is for the winning scribe to work on the screenplay while the Inglourious Basterds filmmaker shoots his next movie next summer. If the script is to Tarantino’s liking, he’ll direct this Star Trek movie.

Now, Tarantino has been pretty adamant about the fact that he’s only making 10 films and then he’s retiring. His 1969-set Manson Murders drama that he’s shooting next summer is #9, which would make Star Trek #10 if he indeed makes it. Would he stick to his retirement plan? Would Quentin Tarantino really go out directing a blockbuster written by someone other than himself? I have a hard time believing it, so my guess is A. Tarantino simply produces and/or gets a “Story By” credit and someone else directs this movie or B. Tarantino makes one more original movie after Trek.

Regardless, this whole thing is kind of insane and it’s moving really fast. Tarantino usually takes quite a bit of time between projects, but thus far everything about this Star Trek movie has been atypical for the Oscar-winning writer/director. We’ll likely hear more soon, but what do you think about an R-rated Star Trek movie folks?
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:02 PM   #31
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why Not? View Post
Death Proof? Yep. I have loved every film QT has ever been involved with.
X2
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #32
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vailpass View Post
X2
X3
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:22 PM   #33
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Star Trek is dead.

Tarantino either revives it or it’s dead.

My money is on T.
Sure, why not. Desperation move by Paramount

But im down, its QT
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #34
In Search of a Life

"Klingon, mother****er, do you speak it?"
Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.Just Passin' By is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #35
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 View Post
Sure, why not. Desperation move by Paramount

But im down, its QT
if it's going to be Tarantino's last movie, I guess his take on Science Fiction/Star Trek would be a worthwhile homage to the genre.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #36
Veteran

"When you came pulling in here, did you notice a sign out in front of my house that said Dead Tribble Storage?"

Both Tarantino and Nu Trek blow, so this is a match made in heaven.
Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.Mennonite threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:39 PM   #37
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedChief View Post
if it's going to be Tarantino's last movie, I guess his take on Science Fiction/Star Trek would be a worthwhile homage to the genre.
I just hope that it's the violence that's R-rated and not the language.

Seeing people ripped to shreds after an attack by alien species is one thing but hearing Kirk, McCoy or any of the other main characters say **** or shit or any other curse word would totally lose most Trekkers.

But hell yeah, bring on the Saving Private Ryan type of violence.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #38
MVP

Quote:
I'm guessing this won't count as his last movie, as I seriously doubt he will have the amount of control he's used to. This won't be a Tarantino flick, it will be a Star Trek by Tarantino flick. Just my guess anyway.
unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.unlurking Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #39
Has a particular set of skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
I just hope that it's the violence that's R-rated and not the language.

Seeing people ripped to shreds after an attack by alien species is one thing but hearing Kirk, McCoy or any of the other main characters say **** or shit or any other curse word would totally lose most Trekkers.

But hell yeah, bring on the Saving Private Ryan type of violence.
There is no way that Taratino would shy away from the violence in his Sci-Fi adaptation. He's always done that within any genre he's ever done. There is a track record of a lot of violence in our Sci-Fi movies. There is already a precedent.

But, I'm with you on the language. It would be way out of place to have Kirk saying **** and shit throughout the movie. It would distract within the movie.
BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigRedChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #40
MVP

Quote:
There is no way that Taratino would shy away from the violence in his Sci-Fi adaptation. He's always done that within any genre he's ever done. There is a track record of a lot of violence in our Sci-Fi movies. There is already a precedent.

But, I'm with you on the language. It would be way out of place to have Kirk saying **** and shit throughout the movie. It would distract within the movie.
I'd be OK with a movie in the Star Trek universe that had nothing to do with the Enterprise. Maybe focus on a squad of Starfleet Marines during the Klingon war? Maybe something to do with Section 31? Would be cool to see a movie from the point of view of an alien race as well.

Would give a little more leeway for language.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:22 AM   #41
Veteran

Never got into the whole Star Trek series, and outside of one of the newer ones on a plane, never watched all the way through any of the movies. Just not my thing.

I will be buying my midnight showing ticket months in advance for this. QT is gold.
ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.ChiefAshhole1056 must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 12-12-2017, 05:12 PM   #42
Just a li'l Evel

About ten years ago I was recording a VO for a Tv campaign at a recording studio in Studio City/Hollywood. Walking back to my car after the session a guy who looked like a fat Quentin Tarantino came walking down the sidewalk towards me talking to another guy.

He gets closer and I realize it's actually him. He says bye to the other guy and j-walks across (4-lanes) Ventura Boulevard. Walking kind of funny almost limping.

He walks up to a late 1970's American sedan parked at the curb (like a Ford Torino or Monte Carlo type car) he opens the trunk, pulls out a gallon plastic jug containing some kind of liquid (hooch of some sort, I gathered) and takes a huge swig. Puts it back in the trunk, and gets in and pulls away.

It was like he was a character in one of his own movies.
TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.TinyEvel is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:39 PM   #43
Supporter

Sounds really dumb and out of place. Tarantino should just write his own sci fi flick without all the restrictions and corporate baggage.
Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Ragged Robin has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 AM   #44
MVP

Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder on Vulcan?
Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:02 AM   #45
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyEvel View Post
About ten years ago I was recording a VO for a Tv campaign at a recording studio in Studio City/Hollywood. Walking back to my car after the session a guy who looked like a fat Quentin Tarantino came walking down the sidewalk towards me talking to another guy.

He gets closer and I realize it's actually him. He says bye to the other guy and j-walks across (4-lanes) Ventura Boulevard. Walking kind of funny almost limping.

He walks up to a late 1970's American sedan parked at the curb (like a Ford Torino or Monte Carlo type car) he opens the trunk, pulls out a gallon plastic jug containing some kind of liquid (hooch of some sort, I gathered) and takes a huge swig. Puts it back in the trunk, and gets in and pulls away.

It was like he was a character in one of his own movies.
Great story
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.