Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Do you know how to drive a stick shift?
Yes 213 94.25%
No 13 5.75%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2009, 04:56 PM  
Take a Chill Pill

Do you know how to drive a stick shift?

Poll to follow.
Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #61
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckinKaeding View Post
I like to think of it as having control over your car, rather than it having control over you.
Gas. Break. Steering wheel. That's pretty good control in my books.
BigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #62
Take a Chill Pill

Tylerthigpen!1! - Pussy.
Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #63
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVE View Post
The amount of stick-shift "snobbery" in this thread is hilarious.
What snobbery? For regular cars whatever....but if you drive performance vehicles, especially for the experience, an auto just isn't the same engagement. Consider the Nissan GT-R, technical wonder, one of the fastest cars around. It's dual clutch transmission will shift faster than any human will be capable of. BUT, if you drive it, it just doesn't have the same level of engagement to it. A stick just feels more engaging. I wish the dual clutch systems felt better, but I have yet to find one that does.
CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
The amount of stick-shift "snobbery" in this thread is hilarious.
That's what I was thinking. Ohhhh, a manual transmission! I'm a man! You'd think everyone here was a ****ing drag racer with 800 hp under the hood on their daily drive. Get over it. I drove a ****ing Farmall tractor that was a bitch to change gears... back when a manual transmission meant something. Pushing a clutch and moving a lever is simple. You ain't no hero for doing that!
Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.Stewie is too fat/Omaha.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #65
Take a Chill Pill

Dual-Clutch....

Are those the ones where you can switch it from Auto to Manual, but you don't have to actually step on the clutch pedal to change gears?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #66
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Saulbadguy - Pussy.
At least this thread has some CP folks giving honest answers.

It's not like every other CP poll, where every guy is 6'2" with a 9" dick, and making 100+K a year; but make sure they have enough time to maintain a perfect marriage, raise 2.5 kids, and a dog(NO CATS); but still have enough free time to be the all-star pitcher in the Beer-League softball games(They have to warm up by throwing a football 60+ yards 15 times before they pitch) and be a Salvation Army bell-ringer on the weekends.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #67
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Dual-Clutch....

Are those the ones where you can switch it from Auto to Manual, but you don't have to actually step on the clutch pedal to change gears?
You can do that with any automatic transmission.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #68
Take a Chill Pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostRockPablo View Post
At least this thread has some CP folks giving honest answers.

It's not like every other CP poll, where every guy is 6'2" with a 9" dick, and making 100+K a year; but make sure they have enough time to maintain a perfect marriage, raise 2.5 kids, and a dog(NO CATS); but still have enough free time to be the all-star pitcher in the Beer-League softball games(They have to warm up by throwing a football 60+ yards 15 times before they pitch) and be a Salvation Army bell-ringer on the weekends.
I don't really think anyone is a pussy for not knowing how to drive stick, I am just joking, but I said in post #2 that I would call them a pussy, so I am sticking up to my word.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #69
Kind of a mod

Know how? Sure. Like it? Nope.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #70
Ultrabanned

Quote:
I don't really think anyone is a pussy for not knowing how to drive stick, I am just joking, but I said in post #2 that I would call them a pussy, so I am sticking up to my word.
I know. It's just hilarious how these polls turn out sometimes.
Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pablo is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #71
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyPhuD View Post
What snobbery? For regular cars whatever....but if you drive performance vehicles, especially for the experience, an auto just isn't the same engagement. Consider the Nissan GT-R, technical wonder, one of the fastest cars around. It's dual clutch transmission will shift faster than any human will be capable of. BUT, if you drive it, it just doesn't have the same level of engagement too it. A stick just feels more engaging. I wish the dual clutch systems felt better, but I have yet to find one that does.

Maybe your post wasn't "snobbery" per se but several in this thread are. I live in the rural midwest, MOST people around here DO know how to drive a stick shift. Big deal. Some don't. No big deal if they don't. That's all I'm sayin'. I owned a stick shift truck for 2 years and didn't bother to teach my kids to drive it MOSTLY because they can barely handle an automatic...no need to add another pedal (clutch) and shifting gears by hand to the equation. Teen drivers are bad enough as it is.
BigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutBigVE is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 12-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #72
Meow

Quote:
Dual-Clutch....

A dual clutch is the 'new' auto. It's basically two clutches 1,3,5 are on one clutch 2,4,6 are on the other clutch. When you are in say 1 it's got 2 preselected on the other clutch. Shifting is just disengaging one clutch and engaging the other clutch. If effectively takes out the gear row time and makes it very fast and pretty smooth. It also has no torque converter. It's basically like a true manual just automatically actuated.

You can either let it shift automatically, or you can shift it manually depending upon the mode. It's the 'best' of the automatics in that you get to choose your gear in full manual mode, but to me they still don't feel quite the same. Part of it is taking the driver out of the equation. Yes I know it will be faster, but if computers do everything then why am I even driving?
CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.CrazyPhuD 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:39 PM   #73
Ultrabanned

Quote:
Yes I know it will be faster, but if computers do everything then why am I even driving?
Because you're cruising for poon in a GT-R?
Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #74
Take a Chill Pill

Quote:
A dual clutch is the 'new' auto. It's basically two clutches 1,3,5 are on one clutch 2,4,6 are on the other clutch. When you are in say 1 it's got 2 preselected on the other clutch. Shifting is just disengaging one clutch and engaging the other clutch. If effectively takes out the gear row time and makes it very fast and pretty smooth. It also has no torque converter. It's basically like a true manual just automatically actuated.

You can either let it shift automatically, or you can shift it manually depending upon the mode. It's the 'best' of the automatics in that you get to choose your gear in full manual mode, but to me they still don't feel quite the same. Part of it is taking the driver out of the equation. Yes I know it will be faster, but if computers do everything then why am I even driving?
Sounds pretty pointless.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:42 PM   #75
Meow

Quote:
Maybe your post wasn't "snobbery" per se but several in this thread are. I live in the rural midwest, MOST people around here DO know how to drive a stick shift. Big deal. Some don't. No big deal if they don't. That's all I'm sayin'. I owned a stick shift truck for 2 years and didn't bother to teach my kids to drive it MOSTLY because they can barely handle an automatic...no need to add another pedal (clutch) and shifting gears by hand to the equation. Teen drivers are bad enough as it is.
Yea I can understand that, I remember when I was learning to drive I wanted to learn on an automatic, because if you stall the car it's an auto-fail. I was freaked out when my mom made my learn to drive stick. But I'm very glad she did.

I understand some people not wanted to mess with it and really if you're not a car guy/girl, why would you want a manual? It used to be that manuals were cheaper and got better gas mileage. Now the cost of the auto is down and since both are 5/6 speeds they get similar mileage. About the only advantage manuals have technically is in reliability.