Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM   Topic Starter
The Maintenance Guy

Durango, CO

The Mrs and I will be heading there Labor Day weekend to check the Durango-Silverton train ride off the bucket list. We'll probably stay in the area a couple days so we're looking for other stuff to do, and also possible places to stay. We prefer a cabin type place over a hotel, but nothing fancy.

Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions? I swear I've seen someone here with Durango as their location but can't remember who it was.

Also feel free to express your thoughts on the Dodge Durango in this thread as well.

Last edited by Bugeater; 07-26-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Supporter

Accustom yourself to the presence of cinders.

I still have a 'souvenir' kerchief from the train ride from way back when I was a wee one.
Wish I could give you more specific info, as it was perhaps the family vacation I enjoyed the most. We spent several weeks, Royal Gorge, rented a jeep and drove around for a day in Big Boy Basin, recall a really nice RV park in Colorado Springs.

Of all, the best memory was parking the RV for the night just off the highway next to a mountain stream, and just taking a cup to the stream for a cup of the best water ever.

Garden of the Gods
Mesa Verde
Pike's Peak

Remember Cave of the Winds took forever to get to via switchbacks. The long drive stuck in my mind because some Asain tourists pulled into the parking lot way up in the mountains, and the ball joint holding the front wheel of the rental car promptly fell off. Can't imagine the tow out on that one.

Worst memory was Black Canyon of the Gunnison, but I'm sure it isn't applicable these days. When we camped there, the entire sewage system was FUBAR. The entire camp smelled like a Porta-Potty, with both the sewage smell, and the chemical treatment [blue goo] smell.

If you're driving through Kansas to get there, take a moment and savor the scene when the mountains first appear on the prairie horizon. Such a serene, beautiful sight.

Last edited by Baby Lee; 07-26-2017 at 06:55 PM..
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post

I still have a 'souvenir' kerchief from the train ride from way back when I was a wee one.
Wish I could give you more specific info, as it was perhaps the family vacation I enjoyed the most. We spent several weeks, Royal Gorge, rented a jeep and drove around Big Boy Basin, recall a really nice RV park in Colorado Springs.

Of all, the best memory was parking the RV for the night just off the highway next to a mountain stream, and just taking a cup to the stream for a cup of the best water ever.

Garden of the Gods
Mesa Verde

Remember Cave of the Winds took forever to get to via switchbacks. The long drive stuck in my mind because some Asain tourists pulled into the parking lot way up in the mountains, and the ball joint holding the front wheel of the rental car promptly fell off. Can't imagine the tow out on that one.
I took the short steam train ride in Georgetown a few years back so I've had a taste of the cinders.

Been to Co Springs and the Royal Gorge and Pike's Peak, but not Cave of the Winds. We probably won't get back to that area this time around as we're heading to our favorite place in Estes Park afterwards.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I took the short steam train ride in Georgetown a few years back so I've had a taste of the cinders.

Been to Co Springs and the Royal Gorge and Pike's Peak, but not Cave of the Winds. We probably won't get back to that area this time around as we're heading to our favorite place in Estes Park afterwards.

Estes is really nice. One year - 2009 - I was doing some work in Fort Collins and I was going to (possibly) be held up over Christmas. On the 23rd My Wife calls me and tells me that she is coming to pick me up. Hell, I thought she had driven to Colorado to take me home...

She flew into DIA, rented a car, came and picked me up and we headed West. She had reserved a cabin in Estes for Christmas. One of the best Christmas I ever had! Beautiful country - and once you get away from the city - the scenery is breathtaking.
Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.Randallflagg is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran

Quote:

Wish I could give you more specific info, as it was perhaps the family vacation I enjoyed the most. We spent several weeks, Royal Gorge, rented a jeep and drove around for a day in Big Boy Basin, recall a really nice RV park in Colorado Springs.

Garden of the Gods
Mesa Verde
Pike's Peak

Worst memory was Black Canyon of the Gunnison, but I'm sure it isn't applicable these days. When we camped there, the entire sewage system was FUBAR. The entire camp smelled like a Porta-Potty, with both the sewage smell, and the chemical treatment [blue goo] smell.

If you're driving through Kansas to get there, take a moment and savor the scene when the mountains first appear on the prairie horizon. Such a serene, beautiful sight.
Durango is much further South West than the stuff up in the Springs. If I were that far west I would go to the 4 corners area. Maybe even take a ride down into New Mexico, Los Alamos is probably just as close as the Springs.

When we lived in Albuquerque back in the early 70's my dad used to take us to the reservations, not sure what they are like up that way some 40 years later but it stuck with me all these years. The high deserts were nice.

If you are there as a destination and to stay in one place ask the locals when you get there. We did that a lot on our trip last week and had lots of luck.

Take your time and enjoy, there is nothing like being on a vacation and taking your time not having to be anywhere at a set time and just enjoying being alive.
KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #6
Mod Team

Why did Dodge name a car after Durango?

See if you can find out for me.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog View Post

Why do you think an SUV is a car?

More to your question, the Dodge Durango always seemed to me the closest in marketing to this

Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
Mod Team

Quote:
Why do you think an SUV is a car?

More to your question, the Dodge Durango always seemed to me the closest in marketing to this

Jesus Christ you literal douche.

If you can't say car in place of automobile these days, I'm very sorry.
lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.lewdog is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #9
Supporter

Quote:
Jesus Christ you literal douche.

If you can't say car in place of automobile these days, I'm very sorry.
Now that's some thin skin.

Geez, if I knew it would end in tears I'd never have even started.

Buck up buttercup.

Just warn us if you plan on calling a hot dog a sandwich.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:04 PM   #10
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:

I don't know, but I always loved the styling of the 1st generation Durango. Can't find one that's not beat to shit or miled out anymore though.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:56 PM   #11
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I don't know, but I always loved the styling of the 1st generation Durango. Can't find one that's not beat to shit or miled out anymore though.

We had one that very color for quite some time. Nice one, totally loaded up with running boards, third seat etc.

Learned my lesson not to **** with the factory exhaust on it. With the salt up in Chicagoland I was replacing it almost yearly after that.

Only picture I have of it is in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ginnyscudafinished1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	114714  
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemiEd View Post
Only picture I have of it is in the background.
That cuda gotta Commando?
Old 07-27-2017, 06:13 AM   #13
Supporter

Quote:
That cuda gotta Commando?
It does now. It came with a 273 two barrel and I put a 340 with a 750 Edelbrock on it. Headers, cam etc.
HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.HemiEd is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #14
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:

Because the Dodge Albuquerque's name plate was too big?
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #15
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Because the Dodge Albuquerque's name plate was too big?
Certainly for that anemic motor they first came out with.