Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 AM  
MVP

Tesla unveil Semi, new Roadster, & also teased a "pickup truck"

Anyone watch the unveil last night?

The numbers on the semi destroyed what anyone thought possible.

- 0-60 in 5 sec
- 0-60 in 20 sec under max gross payload of 80k lbs
- 65mph up 5% grade under max lied, compared to 45mph for ICE semi
- 500 mile range
- 400 miles of additional range after 30 min charge
- Guaranteed 7˘/kWh fuel cost(solar) compared to volatile oil
- Nuclear explosion proof glass(apparently cracked windshield takes semi off road)
- 1 million mile guarantee it won't breakdown
- Will never need a brake change
- "Impossible" to jacknife
- Beats semis on economics day 1
- In convoy mode, beats rail on economics

300 miles of range: $150,000
500 miles of range: $180,000
Founders series: $200,000

https://youtu.be/CBTQnmUolas
The Roadster was a complete surprise, and the numbers given destroy any production car you can think of, even a Koenisegg.

- 0-60 in 1.9 sec (this is faster than most Formula 1 cars)
- 0-100 in 4.2
- 1/4 mile in 8.9 sec
- 250+ mph top speed
- 621 mile range (That's Kansas City to Denver without fueling)
- 10,000 nm torque

and that's the base model. Starting at $200k and Founders series at $250k. Destroys million dollar cars.

Also teased a rendering image of a consumer pickup truck with a normal truck in the bed.

https://youtu.be/5n9xafjynJA

Last edited by aturnis; 11-23-2017 at 02:02 AM..
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 PM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Well, sure, but you realize they have "real" brakes too, right? They just don't need them as much.
Electric brakes on an electric semi? I'm waiting to see what they do for redundancy systems which are normally reduced capacity.

I am not sold on pure fly by wire brakes either but thats what we are all going to have soon.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #62
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
As someone who drives cars, I'm not sure that I want to share the road with semis that have really fast acceleration.
Why not? Should do wonders for traffic congestion. Especially in LA area.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #63
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
or one that probably will need new brakes and interior fabric when the "never need brakes again" truck goes down the grade he bragged about it going up....
Man, you really don't understand electric drive trains do you?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:37 PM   #64
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphius View Post
Cummings already came out with theirs, 100 mile range
Don't forget, Class 7 also

Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #65
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prhom View Post
I know it’s not a 9-volt battery powering the car. I said they should be considering how to make the batteries swappable. Clearly they are not right now. You would need some infrastructure and powered lift equipment but they need to consider that especially for the trucks. Have them lower from under the vehicle so you drive over a pit like an oil change and they lower the batteries on a hydraulic lift or something like that.
They've done it. People weren't terribly interested. Costs too much for customers and Tesla isn't interested in negative revenue programs to make it affordable.

80% charge in 20 minutes not good enough?

Probably 400-500 miles in 20-30 minutes for the new Roadster.

Mind you, you'll have a full battery every morning upon waking up. How often do most people drive more than 200 or 300 miles in a day? I drive more than most daily, and I don't touch that.

https://youtu.be/FE81S26XG8c

Last edited by aturnis; 11-17-2017 at 08:53 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 08:56 PM   #66
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper barrett View Post
Its a class 7 used for regional shipping. I think they are increasing that and adding on the road charging options to it. It is there first rodeo in electric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
Don't forget, Class 7 also

I won't.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #67
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
Man, you really don't understand electric drive trains do you?

You might be surprised. When up until recently EV and HB cars have been very light, now we are talking about 80,000lbs vs 3-5000lbs.
I am saying, I want to see the redundancy systems for brakes that they use.

Last edited by cooper barrett; 11-17-2017 at 09:12 PM..
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 PM   #68
Supporter

What the hell kind of rubber do you have to have on a truck to get to 60 in 20 seconds weighing 80? Given how my 30 HP electric irrigation motors make my electric meter sing like a songbird, I can't imagine what hooking up a few trucks will do. Whee!

I'd be on board though. As long as it has solid connections for the rough ass roads in my neck of the woods, I can put 100,000 on it (but if anybody asks, it was 85 when I pulled out of the shop), and it can handle a ridiculous amount of dust from the county roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrae View Post
Those are some amazing number but this one is the most mind-bottling IMO:

In convoy mode, beats rail on economics
I would be interested in the math on that. Pure transportation costs, I doubt, but if you're going to add in costs for loading/unloading I'd like to know what those are. It may be just a semi trailer on a flat train car. Those numbers would be easier to believe.
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #69
Immanentize The Eschaton

I've been vaping for a while and I keep my eye/ear out for li-on battery news. Industries like this push development and we seem to end up with whatever batteries are most popular and stable. I've heard that someone had a breakthrough recently with solid state lithium ion batteries. Could be a huge game changer.
listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.listopencil is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:41 PM   #70
best in the biz

0-60 in 1.9?

too much power for the street ,

people will get hurt.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:50 PM   #71
MVP

Graphene batteries are coming
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #72
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

I'd never really thought about it, but it seems like semis are the best use of Tesla technology. I wonder why they haven't built one before.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #73
Politically Incorrect

If someone discovers a way to recharge the battery in less than 10 minutes or creates a swap system, it's game over.
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 PM   #74
MVP

I's going to have to have a generator onboard to charge it under emergencies. That's what Cummins is going to do.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:12 PM   #75
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scho63 View Post
If someone discovers a way to recharge the battery in less than 10 minutes or creates a swap system, it's game over.
https://electrek.co/2017/11/14/fiske...electric-cars/

“Fisker’s solid-state batteries will feature three-dimensional electrodes with 2.5 times the energy density of lithium-ion batteries. Fisker claims that this technology will enable ranges of more than 500 miles on a single charge and charging times as low as one minute—faster than filling up a gas tank.”
JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.JakeF Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.