Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM  
Banned!

Board Game Fans?

A friend of mine has got me into some "geeky" gaming that has become a real hit at my house. We've been playing Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island as a family, while my buddy and I have been playing Ascension, Resident Evil, and Dominion.

Are there any other cool board/card games out there that I should check out? I mean, I've seen the spiel des jahres lists, but I'd love some first hand thoughts on cool games.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #121
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
There used to be literally NO good options for two player games. It's better now, but still not that great.

Collectible card games are often made specifically for two player. Magic is iconic, of course, and you can just buy starter packs and start there. Half the fun, I think, is building decks, but you need to buy more cards to do that. There are many other CCGs out there, however. Fair Warning: they can be a bit of a financial black hole.

Star Fleet Battles is a great game for two players, but older, and VERY math intensive. The rules are beyond daunting. I would suggest not getting into that without someone to teach you. It's basically a game by engineers, for engineers.

Silverton, another old game which is likely out of print (Ebay) can be alot of fun with just two. God help you when Cripple Creek gold craps out after only two turns!

Dominion is another card game, but not really a collectible card game. It comes in a box, and you build your deck as you play. Infinite variations on the game play, especially with expansions.

Carcassone plays very well with just two. It's a quick game, with interesting strategies despite the simple gameplay.

Cribbage, of course, is a great card game for just two players.

I don't know how many Arkham Horror is designed for, but I've done it with three players, each playing two handed (so there are 6 "characters"). Much more of a cooperative, us-against-the-game, system, you could certainly do two players each playing two characters, and see if you can survive the insanity!

Ticket to Ride is perfectly do-able with just two. The board is pretty wide open, however, so it's nto really optimal.

Agricola is a great game. Plays better with more than two, but is playable with two.

Can answer questions on any of these if you like.
Thanks, I'll look into some of these, I don't think we are really the type for deck building outside of the game so magic is probably not for us. I am an engineer so would probably like star fleet battles but my wife is an artist so probably not her thing.

I think they are making more 2 player games, a lot of them seem like similar variations of the same card game so I'm always looking for something different.
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:20 PM   #122
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

In my younger days, I was hugely into board games. When PCs first started hitting the market, I thought that they'd be way better than board games. As PC games evolved, I initially really liked them and then liked them less and less. There's something really cool about having a big map spread out in front of you with all sorts of little plastic tanks and planes on it. As long as you can protect it from cats, of course.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #123
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorce View Post
Thanks, I'll look into some of these, I don't think we are really the type for deck building outside of the game so magic is probably not for us. I am an engineer so would probably like star fleet battles but my wife is an artist so probably not her thing.

I think they are making more 2 player games, a lot of them seem like similar variations of the same card game so I'm always looking for something different.

It can be daunting... Here is the standard sheet for operating a Klingon B-10 Battleship.

Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #124
In Search of a Life

Quote:

If you like Forbidden Island, go ahead and buy Forbidden Desert as well.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #125
In Search of a Life

For those with kids looking for a good intro game that's hybrid roleplaying and hybrid board game, give Mice and Mystics a try. It's pretty fun. My kids enjoy it.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:30 PM   #126
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
In my younger days, I was hugely into board games. When PCs first started hitting the market, I thought that they'd be way better than board games. As PC games evolved, I initially really liked them and then liked them less and less. There's something really cool about having a big map spread out in front of you with all sorts of little plastic tanks and planes on it. As long as you can protect it from cats, of course.

I agree. It kind of depends though. Let's take Risk -- there is no reason to ever break that board game out again, in my opinion. WAY faster with computer play.

But for most games, I prefer in person, if only because there is a social aspect to it. I get together with my friends and instead of playing poker, or bridge, or watching the game, and drinking beer, we play board games.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2015, 01:31 PM   #127
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChief View Post
For those with kids looking for a good intro game that's hybrid roleplaying and hybrid board game, give Mice and Mystics a try. It's pretty fun. My kids enjoy it.

My kids have enjoyed, at various times:

1. Carcassone
2. Settlers of Cataan
3. Magic
4. Pokeman (I never knew how to play, but they did)
5. Arkham Horror
Old 10-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #128
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
My kids have enjoyed, at various times:

1. Carcassone
2. Settlers of Cataan
3. Magic
4. Pokeman (I never knew how to play, but they did)
5. Arkham Horror
The fun part of Mice and Mystics is that it has some storytelling and plot involved moreso than the others. So it has a bit of a D&D feel to it. Plus it has maps/tiles and sweet little figurines.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:00 AM   #129
Orbital Teapot

Lately, as I've had less time in general, I've found that board games are somewhat starting to replace video games for me.

One of the better introductory style games I've found is called Galaxy Trucker. The bulk of the game is building your ships out of tiles.. scratches a little different of an itch than most games.

As far as two player games go, I've recently picked up Android:Netrunner and I'm enjoying that a lot. It's sort of like Magic in distribution, but the gameplay is very different.
Mr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutMr Luzcious is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 10-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #130
Banned!

Quote:
Picked up and loved splendor, fun game. Does anyone have suggestions on other board games that are 2 player. So far my wife and I have picked up Rivals For Catan, Splendor and Forbidden Island. We like playing board games but a lot of times we can't get a group together to play.
Ascension plays well with 2. Heck, even Dominion is pretty good with 2.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:36 PM   #131
Banned!

Pandemic: the cure plays decently with 2, if you like dice.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #132
MVP

Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small, and Castles of Burgandy are amazing two player games.
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #133
MVP

It's been a while, but with target offering buy 2 get 1 free, which stacks with promo code kidsgifts for 20% off, this deserves a bump. I picked up Imperial Settlers and Orleans; anyone have experience with there two?
BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.BigBeauford is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:38 AM   #134
Veteran

Amazon is having a 1 day board game sale, I don't know a lot of these but if anyone is interested.

Amazon.com
Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Sorce is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 11-03-2016, 08:24 AM   #135
Banned!

Nice. However, I just purchased a bunch of games a few days ago, so I probably shouldn't buy more now. Alhambra is good, though.