Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-27-2011, 11:45 PM  
Banned!

Board Game Fans?

A friend of mine has got me into some "geeky" gaming that has become a real hit at my house. We've been playing Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island as a family, while my buddy and I have been playing Ascension, Resident Evil, and Dominion.

Are there any other cool board/card games out there that I should check out? I mean, I've seen the spiel des jahres lists, but I'd love some first hand thoughts on cool games.
Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.Pitt Gorilla is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #91
The 23rd Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silock View Post
So, because of this, we've purchased Dixit, Gloom and The Resistance.

Dixit is fun, but I'm terrible at it because I'm too literal.

Gloom is by far my favorite, but not everyone likes it because they don't like the pressure of coming up with a small story. But the wife and I played it with a friend, and we made an awesome story together, and it was super, super fun.

The Resistance is the group favorite. Everyone loves it and doesn't want to stop playing it. We've played it with 5 couple friends and they all keep asking when we can play again.

Going to buy Fortune and Glory this week, if I can find it.
We bought Dixit and played it with our girls and their boyfriends and had a lot of fun. Like you though, I'm too literal to be good at it. And it seems like replayability could be difficult if the group is too literal and if you play with the same people.

I also bought Pandemic but we haven't played it yet.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:24 AM   #92
'Tis my eye!

I've been itching to play some Axis and Allies the last few days...
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #93
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspchief View Post
Never in my life have I encountered people that would play these things. Going all the way back to my youth and D&D.

I'm surprised by the interest shown in this thread.

It depends on where you live, possibly, but I know some closet gamers. I've been playing D&D and other RPG for 20 years with a cop. He's been a cop for 25 years -- a classic beefy Irishman cop who would rather admit to murder than being a geeky gamer.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #94
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
I've been itching to play some Axis and Allies the last few days...

Pat, Rain Man and I did an online version a few years back. Very good system. Could put something together again perhaps.
Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.Amnorix is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:28 AM   #95
In BB I trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by KChiefer View Post
My friends have been obsessing over Puerto Rico, which is made by the same people. I haven't played with them though.

Puerto Rico is a very good game.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #96
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnorix View Post
Pat, Rain Man and I did an online version a few years back. Very good system. Could put something together again perhaps.
I love Axis and Allies.
AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #97
'Tis my eye!

Quote:
I'm also trying to get my hands on a copy of "Conquest of the Empire" made by the same company...
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #98
In BB I trust

I've introduced multiple families to Settlers of Catan and it has consistently gotten rave reviews (and they're not just fluffing me, because months later they ask me about expansions for it etc.):

Anybody who lives H.P. Lovecraft and Cthulu stuff will probably greatly enjoy Arkham Horror, a cooperative game in which the players try to beat the evil descending upon Arkham before they die, or go mad.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #99
In BB I trust

Quote:
I'm also trying to get my hands on a copy of "Conquest of the Empire" made by the same company...

That one I don't know.

I remember back in the day the publisher of Axis and Allies also had two other games, a samurai game I never played, and a game called "Fortress America", which put the American player on the defense trying to defend against a futuristic assault from the east (Russians, basically), west (Asians) and south (South Americans). It was a pretty good game. Not as good as A&A but not bad.

I went looking for it a few yeasr back as I have kids now and figured they'd like it. It's out of print, and it was over a hundred bucks to buy one on eBay.

And this thread made me look for it and now it looks like prices are WAAAY down. I will likely pick one up soon. Thanks CP!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fortress-Ame...item3a8f52308c
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #100
Bazinga!

Quote:
I've introduced multiple families to Settlers of Catan and it has consistently gotten rave reviews (and they're not just fluffing me, because months later they ask me about expansions for it etc.):

I've also introduced many peoples (males and females) to Settlers. I can't name one that didn't want to play again.
AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.AndChiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #101
In Search of a Life

Tried to talk my son into buying Junior Settlers the other day with his Easter gift card for Target. He settled on the Zombies vs. Wrestlers dice game instead (which is pretty fun) as well as Farkle (which he destroyed me at last night).

This is a pretty good news clip on the rise of board games amongst Millenials:

http://m.voanews.com/a/1894298.html#...77f_mobile.mp4
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #102
The 23rd Pillar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewChief View Post
Tried to talk my son into buying Junior Settlers the other day with his Easter gift card for Target. He settled on the Zombies vs. Wrestlers dice game instead (which is pretty fun) as well as Farkle (which he destroyed me at last night).

This is a pretty good news clip on the rise of board games amongst Millenials:

http://m.voanews.com/a/1894298.html#...77f_mobile.mp4
You're what I'd imagine to be the prototypical Dixit player. You should check it out and see if it's interesting to you.
patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.patteeu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:49 AM   #103
In BB I trust

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndChiefs View Post
I've also introduced many peoples (males and females) to Settlers. I can't name one that didn't want to play again.
Best expansion I think is Cities and Knights. It completely changes the game in many ways. I find that when someone had Settlers and really liked it, but now it's been sitting on the shelf ignored for six months, introducing Cities and Knights really recharges people about it.

Another good introductory game is Carcassone.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #104
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by patteeu View Post
You're what I'd imagine to be the prototypical Dixit player. You should check it out and see if it's interesting to you.
I'll definitely give it a look.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-28-2014, 08:54 AM   #105
Bazinga!

Quote:
Best expansion I think is Cities and Knights. It completely changes the game in many ways. I find that when someone had Settlers and really liked it, but now it's been sitting on the shelf ignored for six months, introducing Cities and Knights really recharges people about it.

Another good introductory game is Carcassone.
I couldn't agree more on Cities and Knights. Seafarer's is okay but I went back to Cities almost immediately.