Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM  
In Search of a Life

David Carr " Chiefs have higher upside with Mahomes"

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Yet, here we are looking at the same Kansas City Chiefs offense we've seen year after year.

The Chiefs have made three playoff appearances since Reid took over as head coach in 2013, losing once in the wild-card game (2013) and twice in the divisional round (2015, 2016). I'm a fan of Reid and quarterback Alex Smith, but with the way things are right now, they'll be sitting at home while Pittsburgh and New England duke it out on Championship Sunday.

I was Smith's teammate in San Francisco for one year (2010) and I got to know him well. When the weather starts playing a bigger factor in games late in the season, he's not a guy who can make tough throws in tough conditions. He's particular and wants the football a certain way. The colder the weather the firmer the ball and other conditions make the ball slippery. It's really hard to play in inclement weather as a quarterback, yet there are some guys -- like Brett Favre -- who could grab a ball out of a bucket of water or pile of mud and hurl it downfield. But everybody's not like that, including Smith. The conditions have to be right and the running game has to be there. As we've witnessed throughout his career, Smith isn't often going to transcend an offense and win a game on huge throws -- a frequent critique. He's just not that type of quarterback.

Early in the season, we saw Smith make those big plays and the Chiefs were rolling. We've seen downfield shots slowly digress as the season's gone on, a trend that goes back to at least the past two seasons. Since 2015, Smith has been far more effective throwing the ball down field (20-pus air yards) through the Chiefs' first eight games than he has in their final eight, completing more passes (42.1 percent vs. 36.7 percent) with a better TD-to-INT ratio (8:0 vs. 2:4) and a significantly higher passer rating (124.3 vs. 63.1).

Furthermore, since Smith's first year with the Chiefs in 2013, his passer rating on pass attempts of more than 20 yards has fallen off in the second half of the season.

September: 92.0
October: 111.1
November: 63.5
Dec.-Jan.: 68.8

The Chiefs' high-flying offense started to stall after the Steelers exposed a weakness in Week 6. Pittsburgh played more zone coverage and allowed them to throw the ball underneath by respecting the ability of Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce to make things happen downfield. In addition, the run game hasn't been as effective the last five games (the Chiefs are 1-4 in that stretch), averaging 81 rush yards per game. That's 70 yards per game fewer than Kansas City put up in its first five games (all wins). In my opinion, Smith needs the run game to improve or we'll likely see him continue to struggle throwing the ball downfield as this season progresses.

I know this sounds crazy, but there's a case for Patrick Mahomes, who played well in the preseason, to start in place of Smith as the playoffs near. The Chiefs gave up a third-rounder and next year's first to draft Mahomes, viewing him as their franchise quarterback of the future. He's a gunslinger who adds another dimension in the pass game when a) the weather worsens, and b) they're trying to go head to head with the AFC's best offenses.

It's definitely possible the Chiefs could find themselves in a Nathan Peterman situation, especially if they don't handle the timing of the switch well. We don't know. What I do know, though, is we can expect the same ending to the Chiefs' story if they don't change up their cast of characters.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-limits-chiefs
Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Deberg_1990 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #271
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 View Post
Last year he was largely responsible for a good team exiting the playoffs early at home against Pittsburgh. He didn't have to carry them that night, he just had to hit the routine throws that were there all night. He couldn't, and now for the last month that same guy has resurfaced.

He can't carry a team to the Super Bowl, and he can't lead a team to the Super Bowl. Give him an all-timer defense and we can talk about it, but we all know that's asking for too much.
F**k you and your Alex hating BS. You never win or lose a SB cause of one player... QB is an important position but if you want to win the SB you have to do it as a team.

Plenty of fault to go around for that Steelers game. Plenty of SB winning QBs have had bad playoff games and still won the SB cause their team carried them for one-game.
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 2     Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #272
SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy View Post
F**k you and your Alex hating BS. You never win or lose a SB cause of one player... QB is an important position but if you want to win the SB you have to do it as a team.

Plenty of fault to go around for that Steelers game. Plenty of SB winning QBs have had bad playoff games and still won the SB cause their team carried them for one-game.

Only Smith loving cucks could place the blame on a team that didn't allow a single touchdown.

Look dude, we can have this argument for days upon days, but clearly the minds running the operation saw the problem. They saw it oh so clearly that they felt it was necessary to jump 17 spots in the draft to replace the pumpkin.

That's all that really needs to be said.
pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.pugsnotdrugs19 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #273
Mahomosapien

Quote:
F**k you and your Alex
A cause we can all get behind.
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #274
Unsparing

Quote:

Only Smith loving cucks could place the blame on a team that didn't allow a single touchdown.

Look dude, we can have this argument for days upon days, but clearly the minds running the operation saw the problem. They saw it oh so clearly that they felt it was necessary to jump 17 spots in the draft to replace the pumpkin.

Exactly.
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:46 PM   #275
Unsparing

That dumb sonofabitch probably thinks that getting extra hash browns at the Golden Corral is a "team effort".

Dumbass.
Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sweet Daddy Hate is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:57 PM   #276
MVP

Quote:

C'mon, Man. Even you have to see it by now. Smitty consistently fails to make the crucial play. He is not a quarterback who can put a team on his back. He is not a quarterback who makes those around him better.

Those are all qualities needed to consistently win the big games. There is no sense in continuing to insist that the chiefs can win the big games with Smitty. He has consistently shown that he can't do it.

I would love to believe it could happen this year with Smitty. But I've been a football fan and chiefs fan long enough to see where this season is headed with Smitty at the helm. It ain't gonna happen.

So just accept it. Let it go. Smitty is what he is. He's an above average game manager with below average QB talent and instincts. Nothing more. I'm not an Alex Hater. It has nothing do with hating Alex.
penchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellipenchief 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 11-23-2017, 11:02 PM   #277
Fatrick Mahomes

Quote:
He can lead a team to a SB but he can't carry them there. He wasn't brought here to do that and he is not being paid like a QB who does that.

You guys had unrealistic expectations for him. That's your fault, not his. He was brought here to stabilize the position and bring the winning culture back to KC. Win a playoff game which he did. Hopefully win the SB which he has not. But overall KC has done a lot better with him than they have without.

If he was truly holding this organization back Chiefs would have been winning SBs/playoff games without him. Chiefs haven't won a SB since 1970 and they didn't win a playoff gm since 1993... That's really bad and pathetic.
Yeah, just stick with him. Because we sucked before he was here, it's ok to be content with Alex turning into a pumpkin at random times because he's too much of a cuck to consistently play well. God forbid we criticize your beloved just because he's not the ONLY problem with this team. Blame everyone else! But not him!

You have the mentality of a loser and the brain of a ****ing dumbass.

Go back to threatening people in PMs you sad, pathetic clown.
St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.St. Patty's Fire is too fat/Omaha.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #278
Best Body On ChiefsPlanet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDONsey View Post
Yeah, just stick with him. Because we sucked before he was here, it's ok to be content with Alex turning into a pumpkin at random times because he's too much of a cuck to consistently play well. God forbid we criticize your beloved just because he's not the ONLY problem with this team. Blame everyone else! But not him!

You have the mentality of a loser and the brain of a ****ing dumbass.

Go back to threatening people in PMs you sad, pathetic clown.
I never seriously threatened anyone. You guys are the ones that throw a hissy fit anytime someone doesn't agree with your Smitty opinions. You insult people, tell them kill themselves, I had a guy say I was lucky he didn't drive to PA to beat my ass yesterday, wish injury on Smitty, Neg them for simply not agreeing with you. Call them 'Alex only fans' etc

So don't give me that BS about like I can't deal with someone disagreeing with me. It is kind of obvious you all want this to be a forum where everyone has the same opinion. It's ridiculous.

It's not my fault Alex Smith is the QB of the Chiefs guys. It's not my fault Mahomes is not starting. I didn't trade for Alex. Reid/Dorsey did. As much crap as you give me on here why don't you direct your anger towards the guy who actually brought him here and signed him to an extension? You know the HOF HC who knows more about the QB position than you fantasy football experts ever will or could ever hope to.

And if you hate Alex Smith so much, then don't watch the games. Do something else with your life. My goodness it is pathetic to listen to all this whining on here all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penchief View Post
C'mon, Man. Even you have to see it by now. Smitty consistently fails to make the crucial play. He is not a quarterback who can put a team on his back. He is not a quarterback who makes those around him better.

Those are all qualities needed to consistently win the big games. There is no sense in continuing to insist that the chiefs can win the big games with Smitty. He has consistently shown that he can't do it.

I would love to believe it could happen this year with Smitty. But I've been a football fan and chiefs fan long enough to see where this season is headed with Smitty at the helm. It ain't gonna happen.

So just accept it. Let it go. Smitty is what he is. He's an above average game manager with below average QB talent and instincts. Nothing more. I'm not an Alex Hater. It has nothing do with hating Alex.
He is playing really bad right now but he can do those things you mentioned. All you have to do is look at that at that Colts-playoff game, 49ers-Saints playoff-gm, Patriots blowout gm, Patriots-Chiefs gm this year etc... We will have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes but I am hoping he plays well the rest of the way. We all should be hoping that even if you don't think it is going to happen..

Last edited by PAChiefsGuy; 11-24-2017 at 08:11 AM..
PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.PAChiefsGuy Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #279
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:

When Mahomes is the starter the cuckening shall occur so many meltdowns,permabans, RR reprimands among the Alex Only Fans it's going to be glorious
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #280
Supporter

Quote:
I never seriously threatened anyone. You guys are the ones that throw a hissy fit anytime someone doesn't agree with your Smitty opinions. You insult people, tell them kill themselves, I had a guy say I was lucky he didn't drive to PA to beat my ass yesterday, wish injury on Smitty, Neg them for simply not agreeing with you. Call them 'Alex only fans' etc

So don't give me that BS about like I can't deal with someone disagreeing with me. It is kind of obvious you all want this to be a forum where everyone has the same opinion. It's ridiculous.

This small part of your post sums up everything wrong with you and why people go after you the way they do

You threaten people and when called on it you say it’s a joke, you didn’t mean it and can have a disagreement with someone and it’s everyone else who is the problem

The very vast majority of people who talk shit are doing just that and you say they mean and are serious about it. So they are the problem but not you. You can handle discussions and only joke about threats

If you don’t see the problem with that whole situation, you will never get it and will be better off taking your own advice and leaving this play like your buddy Penbrook. Because you do nothing but argue, piss and moan the whole time you are here
Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.Perineum Ripper is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #281
Mahomosapien

Quote:
I had a guy
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #282
Still Got The Blues (For You)

Quote:
It's not my fault Alex Smith is the QB of the Chiefs guys. It's not my fault Mahomes is not starting. I didn't trade for Alex. Reid/Dorsey did. As much crap as you give me on here why don't you direct your anger towards the guy who actually brought him here and signed him to an extension? You know the HOF HC who knows more about the QB position than you fantasy football experts ever will or could ever hope to.

And if you hate Alex Smith so much, then don't watch the games.

He is playing really bad right now

We will have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes but I am hoping he plays well the rest of the way. We all should be hoping that even if you don't think it is going to happen..
Love him or hate him for your silly reasons.. but ALL of this is right on target, and frankly, beyond reproach.
Sandy Vagina has disabled reputation
Old 11-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #283
In Search of a Life

Quote:

And if you hate Alex Smith so much, then don't watch the games. Do something else with your life. My goodness it is pathetic to listen to all this whining on here all the time.

He is playing really bad right now but he can do those things you mentioned. All you have to do is look at that at that Colts-playoff game, 49ers-Saints playoff-gm, Patriots blowout gm, Patriots-Chiefs gm this year etc... We will have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes but I am hoping he plays well the rest of the way. We all should be hoping that even if you don't think it is going to happen..
I am rooting for him to succeed. But not as a game manager because we won't win super bowls that way. If he can revert back to the aggressive version of Alex Smith, that's great. I also feel confident that barring a super bowl run, Alex is done next year, so im glad I don't have to worry about him pulling a late year houdini and fooling the Chiefs into thinking he has another year in him. But we're all a little nervous of that... Because chiefs.

I don't care if mahomes starts right now. But I'm realistic about what we have. You have way too much confidence that Alex will turn it around. Maybe he pulls a few games where he gets the balls to make aggressive throws we know will improve the offense. But we know that he never sustains that beyond a few games. More realistically, he'll revert back to managing games except behind a defense that no can no longer carry him. So our only hope is our defense can go back to carrying him. When you have to beg your defense to disproportionately influence games so your qb can manage the game, you're staring at the wrong qb.
chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.chiefzilla1501 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #284
best in the biz

...if you've read one post from this forum, you've read them all.
stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.stevieray is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:52 PM   #285
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray View Post
...if you've read one post from this forum, you've read them all.
Yep.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.