Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 11-23-2017, 09:48 PM  
Veteran

Smart phone Music to Old Stereo Amp And Speakers

I just a little smart and found my ripped CD's (that took awhile) that I put on MP3 players years ago. They are now on my smart phone operated by a dummy.

I have some nice speakers on my old school reciever/amps. Harmon Kardon and Pinicale speakers.

I need to know how to get my Smart phone (guessing blue tooth tech) to interface with my old stereos.

I searched CP and didn't find anything.

Thanks...sure it is easy. I have not searched the web. I am not sure what to look for.

Next question would be how to download music and save them to a file. Spotify and Google music use data to stream. I want them in a file. I use a Trac-phone for $100/year. No unlimited data. Obviously, I don't use a cell phone much. It is a tool though.

Last edited by Holladay; 11-23-2017 at 09:53 PM..
Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:06 PM   #2
Veteran

I found this:

Mpow Bluetooth Receiver for Home Music Streaming System, Wireless Audio Adapter,Bluetooth 4.1 Music Adapter with High-fidelity Stereo Sound and Up to 15 Hours Working-Time Battery,Black

I don't want my phone to power the speaker....the amp.

There a ton of thingies out there
Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Holladay Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Veteran

I found this article:

https://www.lifewire.com/connect-sma...ystems-3135133

Seems like RCA cables are the best route???
Old 11-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
It was not a fair catch

RCA would be the best and cheapest for an old stereo. You may have to remove any case from the phone. For me, the plug on the headphone is large and does not fit in the hole for the case. No big deal.
displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.displacedinMN is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:11 PM   #5
Veteran

Kinda what I thought....but

It would be nice to walk into a room that has an old stereo with my phone, plug the phone into the stereo and play music. If that takes 4 "new" RCA cables, fine.

The best idea, I have a large house with WIFI internet connection, would be to plug my phone into the WIFI system, guessing with WIFI adapters on each old stereo, an keep the phone next the router and play on any stereo? Is that possible?

Heck I don't know, just trying to think outside the box.

I have a surround sound Pinicale system in my man cave, another in the garage/shop, another in the day room that has speakers inside and in/out door speakers by the grill.

I want to be able to play on each of those OK system verse dragging around a blue tooth speaker system that has less then OK sound verse speakers attached to the old stereos.

Ideas? Reasonable cost is not a problem.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #6
Cool as a Cucumber

Very timely post (for me). We too have an analog receiver and digital TV. We want to hook the TV to the receiver so when we watch music shows the sound comes out the speakers hooked to the receiver instead of the crappy TV speaker. We spoke to a couple of guys who suggested the adapter/cables route, one showed us the Dinger digital to analog converter. Comments welcome.

https://www.amazon.com/Dinger-Digita.../dp/B073QHZ9GC
KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.KS Smitty has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
Veteran

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kard...AAAOSwsW9YzH1Y

I would HIGHLY recommend Harmon Kardon. This is my receiver. AVR 240. It has a HDMI connection and linked to my Blu-Ray stuff, and cable. Kind of a pain to learn...switching from DirctTV (audio in #2) setting to Blue-ray (input #1), matching TV (video) to HK audio.

As mentioned before, no blue tooth.

On Ebay, they list for < $200. Steal. There is another HK 1510s
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Harman-...MAAOSw3fZaEG2-

that I am not familiar with. Also listed. Make sure you have some decent speakers.

I had a problem with all the switching stuff so I called them up at 10:30 pm on a Sat night... a LIVE AMERICAN VOICE ANSWERED. Their support is 24/7. Blew me away. Harmon Kardon is the only stereo I will ever buy.

My 2 cents worth.

Last edited by Holladay; 11-23-2017 at 11:53 PM..
Old 11-24-2017, 03:09 AM   #8
MVP

Harmon Kardon gear is lightweight crap but you do get a box that makes noise. It is pure price point gear. If you like the noise it makes more power to you.

I would say that using your phone with the gear you have is very simple and I run my laptop to my receiver the same way using a male 3.5mm plug to RCA male cable ends.

Just remember that your phone is not the best audio source and that you will get some issues by using your phone for a music player. I find that this works for noise but not fidelity.

Doing this with a wifi adapter is the best way but what you are doing is file sharing and the adapter creates the output, not the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holladay View Post
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Harman-Kard...AAAOSwsW9YzH1Y

I would HIGHLY recommend Harmon Kardon. This is my receiver. AVR 240. It has a HDMI connection and linked to my Blu-Ray stuff, and cable. Kind of a pain to learn...switching from DirctTV (audio in #2) setting to Blue-ray (input #1), matching TV (video) to HK audio.

As mentioned before, no blue tooth.

On Ebay, they list for < $200. Steal. There is another HK 1510s
https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Harman-...MAAOSw3fZaEG2-

that I am not familiar with. Also listed. Make sure you have some decent speakers.

I had a problem with all the switching stuff so I called them up at 10:30 pm on a Sat night... a LIVE AMERICAN VOICE ANSWERED. Their support is 24/7. Blew me away. Harmon Kardon is the only stereo I will ever buy.

My 2 cents worth.
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Veteran

Your post was quite helpful.

Quote:
Harmon Kardon gear is lightweight crap but you do get a box that makes noise.
We'll have to agree to disagree. I love the sound quality. It was made in 2005-6. It might be different now.

Any way, I think the Chromcast Audio would work the best for me. I am going to buy 3 now for all 3 of my systems in different areas of my house.

Thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #10
MVP

Quote:
Your post was quite helpful.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I love the sound quality. It was made in 2005-6. It might be different now.

Any way, I think the Chromcast Audio would work the best for me. I am going to buy 3 now for all 3 of my systems in different areas of my house.

Thanks!
HK customer service hours... Oh and they are Harmon, parent company Samsung. HK is one of 20 some brands.

Call us now at: (800) 422-8027
Mon - Fri: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. (ET)
Sat - Sun: 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (ET)

The HK 240 is listed as a High current amp but the term was clarified by stating:
"'High Instantaneous Current Capability +/- 35 Amps'
65W/Channel Stereo Mode 0.07%THD into 8 Ohms
and 50W/Channel 0.07%THD into 5 Channels into 8 Ohms"

Let me put this in front of you:
It does not say nor is it rated as being able to drive 4 Ohm loads which is what High Current Amps do. This is a term used by HK to deceive buyers very much like peak or instantaneous HP for a shop vacuums. There is not a shop vac out there sporting a 6.5 HP motor but a term called peakHP was made and overnight shop vacs became 5X more powerful, just like your HK amp uses the term High Current when actually it is not a high current amp.
Unless your receiver weighs about 65lbs and not the 25lbs I find listed than I called it like I saw it. The HK240 is a loud, low powered receiver that got stuck in analog video days with s-video connectors and never had HDMI.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...p2045573.m1684

Let me know how the oreo cookies work for you? I take that you ordered the RCA to 3.5mm cables?
cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.cooper barrett Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #11
Veteran

I stand corrected. It does not have HDMI. My bad. But hey, it does the job for me. I just watched the Matrix, which has some decent music, with my German BIL and turned it up a fair amount on the "good parts". It did fine for that short period of time. The volume was at #9, #0 would have been the max, thus your point is taken. I normally listen at 20-25. It is powering 5.1 Pinnacle speakers. A fair load I am guessing. Back in the day, I had some Carver and Vector Research stuff. They used to be good. Vector went out of business. I just checked that Carver is still going.I trust your stats and logic, but it works for me.

BTW, what amp/rec and speakers would you recommend? Not other worldly, but for someone that wants quality.

I order the pucks. They come in on Monday. I will let you know.

Again, appreciate the input.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:12 PM   #12
Veteran

Just ordered 3 of the 3.5 aux cables 4' long needed for the pucks, instead of the 6" cable that it comes with it.

I did order 1 of the 3.5 rca cables just in case and see the difference. I like the idea that the puck inputs the music, not the phone. Nice point again.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #13
Now you've pissed me off!

Harman was not purchased by Samsung until last year. The receiver Holladay speaks of was when Harman/Infinity/JBL were all part of Harman International. It's a good product.

If you want quality on a budget, find an Onkyo TX-SR805 on eBay. They're the last receivers Onkyo made in Japan, before they outsourced production to Malaysia. I've had mine for about eight years. It supports DTS HD and Dolby True HD, and weighs north of 60 pounds, and utilized high quality Burr-Brown DACs. The only issue is that you're limited to three HDMI ports, but it is an absolute ****ing beast.
'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.'Hamas' Jenkins is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:57 AM   #14
MVP

Quote:
Just ordered 3 of the 3.5 aux cables 4' long needed for the pucks, instead of the 6" cable that it comes with it.

I did order 1 of the 3.5 rca cables just in case and see the difference. I like the idea that the puck inputs the music, not the phone. Nice point again.
I don't know hat you're plugging into but the HK does NOT have a 3.5mm plug So it looks like your inputs are coax or rca. Your other systems may be different but my TVs have 3.5 but nothing other than my alarm clock does.

As far as HI FI / AV gear goes you have to have a budget and a goal... Hifi gear is like a boat, you always want 2 more feet. In my case I am always upgrading as Hi end gear get updates done to improve the aging vintage gear. New tubes, washers, caps. I will be upgrading the power supply on my turntable this year and that will be $700 to $1K.

My av system is a bunch of brands that seem to play nicely together..Other than the dvd player it's all has some years on them.

I used to have a audio consultant who needed cash and for helping with his cash flow I got to purchase goodies at special prices. I bought an Anthem AVM50 processor/ preamp, OPPO DV-981HD, and Paradigm 9se and cc300 series speakers for a 5.1 system (trade in's). Kimber Kable wires and innerconnects. My amps are 2- ATI1500's, a 4 and 6 channel units at 150wpc, that are horizontally bi amped on all 3 front speakers. Power is conditioned by a VansEvers unit. I recently added an Oppo bluray 203

These amps sold for $1500 and $2200 back in the day they cost me $700 and $1K with my deal just to give you a feel for the discounts the industry provides. or provided.

If I scared you then you need to stick with integrated units and actually I will tell you to buy high end 2 year old used vs new, unless you have a buddy. Plus end of Jan and Feb seem to be good times as floor stock needs to go and used items are plentiful.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:04 AM   #15
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins View Post
Harman was not purchased by Samsung until last year. The receiver Holladay speaks of was when Harman/Infinity/JBL were all part of Harman International. It's a good product.

If you want quality on a budget, find an Onkyo TX-SR805 on eBay. They're the last receivers Onkyo made in Japan, before they outsourced production to Malaysia. I've had mine for about eight years. It supports DTS HD and Dolby True HD, and weighs north of 60 pounds, and utilized high quality Burr-Brown DACs. The only issue is that you're limited to three HDMI ports, but it is an absolute ****ing beast.
Yes, I know they were just bought out, Everything that Harmon used to make has become crap. My JBL Control Ones now weigh 3lbs less and sound like shit compared to before as drivers and crossovers got replaces by cheaper chinese crap. Samsung is actually fixing that.

But I will disagree with you as his 25lb HK noisebox is not a quality unit whereas the Onkyo you speak of is a nice unit If you want to fry eggs on it I wouldn't say having Burr-Brown DAC is anything special anymore. If you have the Japan version but it seem like there are many 805's made in Malaysia too. Have you updated the firmware on yours?
Onkyo TX-NR905

I would send him toward Rotel or NAD and get him started on separates..