Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #1426
Kind of a mod

So...this seems a little crazy to say, but the next launch on the calendar is...

Falcon Heavy.

(Though it's certainly possible that another launch will leap frog it if it gets delayed.)
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #1427
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Well, I'm giving this webcast a D. Not a lot of effort on the visuals for this one. Oh well. [/spoiled]

Sorry to hear the webcast sucked. I watched this one from my back balcony. One of the coolest launches I've seen in years.
Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #1428
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Yeah, true. They usually just show state 2 telemetry, but on these classified launches, apparently they want to have SOMETHING to show.
It didn't seem to add up, honestly. After the re-entry burn ended, the speed was decreasing rapidly. Why? I get the atmosphere is getting thicker but it was sloughing off speed like crazy well beyond the landing burn.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #1429
Mahomes Fanboi

Quote:
So...this seems a little crazy to say, but the next launch on the calendar is...

Falcon Heavy.

(Though it's certainly possible that another launch will leap frog it if it gets delayed.)
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:15 PM   #1430
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
It didn't seem to add up, honestly. After the re-entry burn ended, the speed was decreasing rapidly. Why? I get the atmosphere is getting thicker but it was sloughing off speed like crazy well beyond the landing burn.
Atmospheric drag most likely.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #1431
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:

Falcon Heavy.

Wood... I simply cannot wait.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #1432
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Atmospheric drag most likely.
Yeah, I wrote that. But it just seemed wrong. Way too much. Gravity wins.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:17 PM   #1433
21st Century Schizoid Fan

Quote:

Falcon Heavy.

I'm really looking forward to that one. I can watch these launches from my front yard.
siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.siberian khatru is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #1434
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
Yeah, I wrote that. But it just seemed wrong. Way too much. Gravity wins.
Yeah, that stuff is definitely beyond me. I know they try to use the atmosphere to slow it down in order to save fuel, but that's about as far as I can get.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #1435
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by siberian khatru View Post
I'm really looking forward to that one. I can watch these launches from my front yard.
Color me jealous. I'd fly down and try to catch it if it weren't for the high likelihood that it will get delayed multiple times.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:19 PM   #1436
Starter

Quote:

Falcon Heavy.

They want to launch it this month. No day and time yet.
Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:20 PM   #1437
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Yeah, that stuff is definitely beyond me. I know they try to use the atmosphere to slow it down in order to save fuel, but that's about as far as I can get.
I'd love to see the numbers again and compare from the re-entry burn deceleration until the landing burn. I honestly thought that they were fake...

Not turning into TJ... It's okay!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:21 PM   #1438
Kind of a mod

Actually, now that I think about the velocity thing, it's both a vertical and horizontal velocity, so conceivably it's already basically falling at terminal velocity, but it's losing horizontal velocity?

Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #1439
Kind of a mod

Old 01-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #1440
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Actually, now that I think about the velocity thing, it's both a vertical and horizontal velocity, so conceivably it's already basically falling at terminal velocity, but it's losing horizontal velocity?

The graphic showed "speed" and "altitude." But yes, maybe? Love it.