Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 AM  
Kind of a mod

Space Exploration megathread

Since a number of cool things are happening in space exploration these days, we'll widen the scope of this thread a smidge. Conversation about all things space exploration are welcome, whether it be from NASA, SpaceX, ULA, Blue Origin, or anyone else. Chances are most of the discussion will still be about SpaceX since they love to make things public and fun, but nothing's off limits. I'll eventually get around to modifying the OP to include resources for other companies too, but in the meantime, feel free to post any cool stuff you run across.

Lists of Upcoming Missions

How to Watch a Live Launch

Where to Learn More
Spoiler!

Glossary
Spoiler!

Last edited by DaFace; 12-10-2020 at 03:36 PM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:08 PM   #301
MVP

You have the technology to do both...
aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.aturnis wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #302
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturnis View Post
You have the technology to do both...
You make an Egg-Cell-Ent point, I shall bring the MiFi to ensure BW isn't an issue.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #303
Kind of a mod

Sounds like the scrub wasn't weather related, so there goes my "smooth sailing" observation.

It sounds like they're still working out some of the kinks with the new supercooled LOX (only used before on the launch that landed in December), so hopefully they'll get that figured out with this one.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:27 PM   #304
Space Cadet and Aczabel

An abundance of caution? WTF?
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #305
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lane View Post
An abundance of caution? WTF?
If I'm understanding the reddit geeks' take, the colder they get it, the more power they have, and this flight will take about everything they've got.

So it's kind of like saying, "I think I've got enough fuel to drive 100 miles, and I only need to go 80, so I SHOULD be fine. But if I wait until tomorrow, the wind will be at my back, so I might as well wait just to be safe."

EDIT: For a more techy hypothesis:

Quote:
The electric thrusters can provide about 4 m/s of delta-V per day. So if SES can get 4 m/s more out of the rocket tomorrow, they'll be in service faster than if they launch today. Working out the numbers, that's about 0.1% more fuel. For LOX, a 24 degree K decrease adds 8.9% more fuel. So the break-even point is about 1/4 degree K. So the optimum is launching right at the start of the window, when the fuel is as cold as possible. But if they try and then scrub today, they lose two ways. Launching late in the window doubtless has the oxygen warmed more than 1/4 degree, so it would be better to launch at the beginning of the window tomorrow. But recycling all the warm LOX back into the ground tanks would probably mean they can't get it back down to within a quarter degree of the initial temperature by then.

So SES would probably prefer a beginning of window launch tomorrow to a late in the launch window today. Furthermore they would prefer a pre-load scrub to a post-load scrub. Of course they are playing this against the odds of a much longer possible delay if tomorrow is scrubbed as well. But it's entirely possible the delay is preferred by SES.
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...408#msg1495408

Last edited by DaFace; 02-25-2016 at 12:57 PM..
Old 02-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #306
Starter

Not a cloud in the sky here at the Cape. Hope the wind eases a bit. Should be a nice launch.
Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Scooter LaCanforno has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #307
Kind of a mod

T-1 hour. No whammies!
Old 02-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #308
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter LaCanforno View Post
Not a cloud in the sky here at the Cape. Hope the wind eases a bit. Should be a nice launch.
Nice! I need to come down for a launch one of these days. I saw some random one go way back when I was a kid about 20 years ago, but I'd love go catch one of these in person. Especially once they get the F9-Heavy launches going.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #309
"Think BOOM!"

I'm really excited about this one. Told my clients that I had another engagement and had to leave early. "Where do you have to go, Donger?" "Ummm, it's.... secret."
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #310
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I'm really excited about this one. Told my clients that I had another engagement and had to leave early. "Where do you have to go, Donger?" "Ummm, it's.... secret."
Anything about this one in particular that's got you all worked up?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:55 PM   #311
Space Cadet and Aczabel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
If I'm understanding the reddit geeks' take, the colder they get it, the more power they have, and this flight will take about everything they've got.

So it's kind of like saying, "I think I've got enough fuel to drive 100 miles, and I only need to go 80, so I SHOULD be fine. But if I wait until tomorrow, the wind will be at my back, so I might as well wait just to be safe."
Sorry my comment was directed more at the verbiage. Abundance of caution.

I have an abundance of caution in my pants
Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.Dave Lane is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #312
In Search of a Life

Does anyone know the best place to watch live?
RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.RINGLEADER has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #313
"Think BOOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Anything about this one in particular that's got you all worked up?
I know some folks from SES.
Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.Donger is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:58 PM   #314
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER View Post
Does anyone know the best place to watch live?
By "live" do you mean on the internet or in Florida?
Old 02-25-2016, 04:59 PM   #315
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donger View Post
I know some folks from SES.
Ah, cool. Well, best of luck to them.