Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 05-05-2023, 07:37 AM  
__

The precedent for the Donovan Smith signing.

I'm just thinking out loud here, folks. Feel free to disregard.

I was listening to a fantastic episode of the KC Lab this morning. It was great as they name checked a ton of the team's undrafted free agents and gave previews into some of their chances to make the roster.

But the first half, of course, concerned themselves with the Smith signing.

The general consensus of theirs dovetails with my personal philosophy when it comes to watching Chiefs personnel moves: watch the magicians' hands, not his mouth.

The pick makes sense, they say, to help Jawaan Taylor come along at left tackle and to help the younger talents like Niang and Morris come along at right tackle. Give the LT position depth, all that good stuff. They're paying him around $4m in all likelihood, that's not exactly "starter at LT" material.

But the team talking about the Smith signing threw them off: slotting Smith in as a starting LT right now seems curious given that they love Taylor so much? What gives?

Well... I make it a practice not to believe the team when they talk about their signings. And on paper, it does seem like they're lying through their teeth when they say Smith is the LT and Taylor the RT.

But there's actual Andy Reid precedent for this move, and it comes from the headache of the 2015 season.

The Chiefs only had two tackles they trusted at the start of that season, Eric Fisher and Donald Stephenson. Like Jawaan Taylor, the Chiefs made an enormous investment in Eric Fisher -- the #1 overall pick. Like Smith, the Chiefs made a middling investment in Stephenson -- a 3rd round pick from the Pioli era.

Eric Fisher actually played LT in 2014, and Stephenson was not very good. It should be a slam dunk. But they seemingly just asked themselves which tackle spot Stephenson sucked less at, and voila. Andy Reid came out and said things that sounded pretty similar to what Reid says about Jawaan Taylor now: Fisher is able to play at Pro Bowl levels at both right and left tackle, so we're going to put Stephenson in the best spot for him and have Fisher lock down RT.

Of course, the results: the Chiefs start the season 1-5, bench Stephenson, flip Fisher back to left tackle, and make do with Jah Reid at RT. They rip off a huge streak of wins and the team's first playoff victory since 1993.

I feel like we're re-living that now. Reid no doubt believes that Taylor is Pro Bowl caliber at both spots, but the team has no faith in Niang/Morris, so they got the best tackle they could find and are putting him at the best spot for him and have Taylor lock down RT.

I do believe the results are going to be the same. Smith is going to get steamrolled and eventually benched for Taylor to flip over and Niang/Morris to suffer through RT. (Fortunately the team has the MVP under center so I don't know if it'll cost them games.)

I just... I've been hung up on the Smith signing the past day or two when I think about the Chiefs. It just feels a repetition of a mistake the team made in 2015.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:08 AM   #2
'Tis my eye!

Don't get hung up on the Smith signing. He's going to be a backup.
htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.htismaqe is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
Veteran

Smith might be better than you think. He was damned good in 2021, and hurt his elbow in game 1 last season. He is only 29 at a position that often can play deep into their 30's. If being able to get his hands on pass rushers is important to his game, then he could be much better this season.

[Note: Seth Keysor posted a film review of Smith on his substack, and said that Smith's entire game is built around his strong punch. He says Smith has a weak lower body and excels with his hands. A damaged elbow compromised his biggest asset as a blocker.]

Last edited by JohnnyV13; 05-05-2023 at 07:05 PM..
JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.JohnnyV13 is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 05-05-2023, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran

This. You'd suck too if you were a one-armed left tackle. You think his elbow ever fully healed last year when he was hand fighting/blocking 230-300lb DE's? A full offseason to get right and he might surprise you.
tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 05-05-2023, 05:53 PM   #5
MVP

You're reaching.
Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chris Meck is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:49 PM   #6
SuperBowl or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by htismaqe View Post
Don't get hung up on the Smith signing. He's going to be a backup.
I doubt the teams second best pass protecting OT doesn’t start.

Another element to consider is that if he can regain his 2021 form, he’s probably a guy that at his age we could give a dirt cheap 2 year deal to and have an effective and dependable player at a value while paying near top market price for the RT. Sounds pretty good to me.
BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.BossChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-06-2023, 12:00 AM   #7
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossChief View Post
I doubt the teams second best pass protecting OT doesn’t start.

Another element to consider is that if he can regain his 2021 form, he’s probably a guy that at his age we could give a dirt cheap 2 year deal to and have an effective and dependable player at a value while paying near top market price for the RT. Sounds pretty good to me.
Tell me you didn’t watch Buccaneer games without telling me you didn’t watch Buccaneer games.
Palangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking aboutPalangi is the dumbass Milkman is always talking about
Old 05-06-2023, 04:00 AM   #8
Veteran

I've not read/heard anything about the Smith signing yet, but I feel it could be the same as the Drue Tranquill signing - The Chiefs didn't really need him, but he was out there and cheap and gave the Chiefs more depth and options?
Chargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliChargem 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote