Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 04-09-2021, 10:50 PM  
MVP

Four major art projects for new KCI terminal revealed

The first of four major art projects for the new single terminal airport at KCI have been revealed.

More than 1,000 artists from around the world submitted inquiries after Kansas City announced an international search for artists.
The city said the four works of art were chosen because they either reflected the wonder of travel or Kansas City history.

The budget for artwork at KCI’s new terminal is $5.65 million. Kansas City’s single-terminal airport is expected to open on budget and on time in early 2023.

“The fact that we’ve been through a pandemic over the last year and yet this project remains on time, on schedule, and on budget is a testament to the good work of the team,” said Justin Meyer with the KC Aviation Department.

You can see the renderings of the art projects in the gallery below.

Entitled "Molten Swing"

Entitled "The Air up There"

Entitled "Ornithology"

Entitled "Fountain of Resonance"

"Molten Swing" looks kind of like a mosaic dog or cat to me, it might look cool though but not sure what to make of it at this point.

"The Air up There" simply looks like some lights on the ceiling, again it might look better when you're actually there I hope.

"Ornithology" reminds me of those attacking creatures in the Pitch Black movie. You just knew one of the artwork they chose would have a WTF moment and this is it.

"Fountain of Resonance" I approve of this one.

Thoughts?

https://fox4kc.com/news/art-projects...inal-revealed/
neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.neech 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:19 PM   #256
For The Glory Of The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy View Post
Dab on??
No earthly idea either but hey I am some big city big shot who doesn’t know the folksy dialect of simple people.
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:27 PM   #257
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Zach| View Post
No earthly idea either but hey I am some big city big shot who doesn’t know the folksy dialect of simple people.
Well you got the "big" part right.

Ya Fat-ass cop-hater...
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:39 PM   #258

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
Well you got the "big" part right.

Ya Fat-ass cop-hater...
And you just made the dab list
|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.|Zach| is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-29-2023, 02:51 PM   #259
(Sir/Yes Sir/Aye Aye Sir)

Quote:
And you just made the dab list
I'm just happy to not be on the same team as you. We real Americans sort of dislike you cop-hating assholes.
GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.GloryDayz is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 02:57 PM   #260
Live free or die hard

It's not bad looking but I think I would have gone a little more practical and simplistic for a place where people are just passing through. It's like a modern museum where planes land.

I guess it will make for a nice lay over in the midwest.
Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:08 PM   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDayz View Post
I'm just happy to not be on the same team as you. We real Americans sort of dislike you cop-hating assholes.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:10 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
It's not bad looking but I think I would have gone a little more practical and simplistic for a place where people are just passing through. It's like a modern museum where planes land.

I guess it will make for a nice lay over in the midwest.
Not really it’s still just an airport with some design pieces here and there. There is no impact to the practical flow of passengers and nothing about these designs makes it more complicated.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #263
Live free or die hard

Quote:
Not really it’s still just an airport with some design pieces here and there. There is no impact to the practical flow of passengers and nothing about these designs makes it more complicated.
I agree. Just wondering how much the art will be appreciated by weary travelers just looking to get their destination. When I'm arrive in an airport I bee line my butt to my gate and then the nearest place to get a bite and drink if I have the time.

Nice place by all means. No argument on that front.
Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.Otter is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-29-2023, 03:32 PM   #264
Kind of a mod

Quote:
I agree. Just wondering how much the art will be appreciated by weary travelers just looking to get their destination. When I'm arrive in an airport I bee line my butt to my gate and then the nearest place to get a bite and drink if I have the time.

Nice place by all means. No argument on that front.
There's a huge push across the U.S. for airports to try and suck less. The economics of airports are tricky because most of the money is spent on airfare, and the airport itself takes a relatively small portion of those fees. But airports have realized that one of the ways they can increase their income is by getting people to hang around, eat at a restaurant, grab a coffee, and maybe even do a little shopping in bigger airports.

And to get people to do that, you can't have it be a cramped shit hole like MCI used to be. Speaking as a visitor, my wife and I always get to the Denver airport early so we can eat at a restaurant or relax in a lounge. When we've visited KC, we always have done as you say and gotten there at the last minute because it was a miserable experience trying to eat or relax there.

Art isn't the end all, be all, but there's no question that it makes it feel a little less sterile and a little more relaxing. It doesn't take long for the added spending at the airport to more than make up for any costs for the art.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 03:35 PM   #265
Live free or die hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
There's a huge push across the U.S. for airports to try and suck less. The economics of airports are tricky because most of the money is spent on airfare, and the airport itself takes a relatively small portion of those fees. But airports have realized that one of the ways they can increase their income is by getting people to hang around, eat at a restaurant, grab a coffee, and maybe even do a little shopping in bigger airports.

And to get people to do that, you can't have it be a cramped shit hole like MCI used to be. Speaking as a visitor, my wife and I always get to the Denver airport early so we can eat at a restaurant or relax in a lounge. When we've visited KC, we always have done as you say and gotten there at the last minute because it was a miserable experience trying to eat or relax there.

Art isn't the end all, be all, but there's no question that it makes it feel a little less sterile and a little more relaxing. It doesn't take long for the added spending at the airport to more than make up for any costs for the art.
Understood, I guess I've always just taken air travel much like a doctors appointment as in just get me in and out as fast as possible.

Ever fly into Durango?
Old 04-29-2023, 03:56 PM   #266
Champion Golfer Of The Year

I really don’t understand the “muh airport” folks. This new place is nice and you stroll by the art that’s hanging. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for parking, I use off site parking (Park Air Express). They have new software that sees your flight arrival and send the shuttle to the correct area.

We walked out of the terminal and directly on to the shuttle. A little lucky, but holy hell, way better than the old MCI.
WilliamTheIrish has disabled reputation
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 04:14 PM   #267
Live free or die hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish View Post
I really don’t understand the “muh airport” folks. This new place is nice and you stroll by the art that’s hanging. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As for parking, I use off site parking (Park Air Express). They have new software that sees your flight arrival and send the shuttle to the correct area.

We walked out of the terminal and directly on to the shuttle. A little lucky, but holy hell, way better than the old MCI.
When I have 30 minutes to get off the plane, take a shuttle to my next gate or miss my flight I couldn't care if there's a dozen FSU girls having a bikini, oiled up wrestling match.

Are you expecting locals to go to the airport instead of the art museum?
Old 04-29-2023, 04:39 PM   #268
Champion Golfer Of The Year

Quote:
When I have 30 minutes to get off the plane, take a shuttle to my next gate or miss my flight I couldn't care if there's a dozen FSU girls having a bikini, oiled up wrestling match.

_[B]Are you expecting locals to go to the airport instead of the art museum[\B]?
Not expecting that at all. What would give you that idea? I’d you’ve read through this thread, you’ll see the usual suspects crying that they don’t have the same convenience of parking along a pickup route and saying the att is a waste of time and money.

I think the art livens up an empty space. And that empty space includes the cavernous skulls of (not you) many posters in this thread .
WilliamTheIrish has disabled reputation
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 05:18 PM   #269

I am really not trying to lean into the pretentious urban millennial reputation I have seem to have garnered here but are we really openly asking the question "why on earth would we want our airport to look good?" right now.
Old 04-29-2023, 05:21 PM   #270
Fight, build, win!

Laughable post from Dunderhead the Irish. Spoken like a Kansan who isn't going to pay for this when it fails and those airlines' promises vanish along with the food venues when they can't make money.
srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.srvy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote