Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who wins the back up quarterback 2017?
Tyler Bray 53 37.06%
Patrick Mahomes II 90 62.94%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 03:10 PM  
Tip of the hat LIV Champs

Tyler Bray vs Patrick Mahomes II competition for backup

This should be a simple poll. Who do you all think will win the backup job to Alex Smith during training camp and preseason competition? Meaning the one that gets to suit up on game days to trust when Alex Smith gets KO~ed out of a game.

Andy Reid said this is a competition so let them duel it out.

Tyler Bray 5th year man being a back up to a backup gives him the edge knowing the system and being around the guys and coaching. He is currently the #2 quarterback.

vs the challenger

Patrick Mahomes II the #10 pick in the first round after trading up 17 spots and has a lot to learn but has desire to be the starting quarterback sooner than later.

This isn't about Alex Smith but who would you trust to go in a game if heaven forbid something happens to our starting quarterback to keep us alive for the playoffs?
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #121
LEGEND!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I love Mahomes but I didn't see that at all. Mahomes showed a better improv skill, without question. But on Brays deep ball that was called back, he placed it perfectly. Meanwhile Mahomes underthrew his by 3 yards and took an easy TD off the board. Mahomes made the move first down throw for 14 yards or so but it wasn't better than Brays back shoulder throw.

The difference in their games was literally 1 foot. If Mahomes misses that throw to Kemp by even a little and it's picked and Bray gets his ball down on third just a little bit, everything is viewed differently.

Now, that foot matters a TON in terms of outcomes, but is it truly predictive? I don't think it is.

I want Mahomes as the 2, don't get me wrong. I'm just puzzled to come back from the game, check CP and learn that folks think Mahomes was great and Bray was shattered ass. I didn't see nearly the separation there and was actually encouraged by both of them.
I agree with you
penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.penbrook would the whole thing.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #122
Mahomosapien

Quote:
I love Mahomes but I didn't see that at all. Mahomes showed a better improv skill, without question. But on Brays deep ball that was called back, he placed it perfectly. Meanwhile Mahomes underthrew his by 3 yards and took an easy TD off the board. Mahomes made the move first down throw for 14 yards or so but it wasn't better than Brays back shoulder throw.

The difference in their games was literally 1 foot. If Mahomes misses that throw to Kemp by even a little and it's picked and Bray gets his ball down on third just a little bit, everything is viewed differently.

Now, that foot matters a TON in terms of outcomes, but is it truly predictive? I don't think it is.

I want Mahomes as the 2, don't get me wrong. I'm just puzzled to come back from the game, check CP and learn that folks think Mahomes was great and Bray was shattered ass. I didn't see nearly the separation there and was actually encouraged by both of them.
My biggest problem with bray is that he has been able to make wow throws since his first year at Tennessee. That is where it ends. He still shows the same exact tendencies to make dumbshit decisions 7 years later. He has not progressed at all since his sophomore season at Tennessee. Its only the first pre season game, so I wont read too much into it if Mahomes doesnt take his spot this week. But i fully expect Bray to be either third on the depth chart/or off of this team by week 1.
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:43 AM   #123
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjosh006 View Post
Bray just played in this teams 17th pre season game since he showed up..

The guy hasnt progressed a bit in 4 years. He looks the same as the guy that played in the pre season in 2013 after coming here as an undrafted free agent.

I wasnt the one that said he had reached his ceiling. that was in the post i responded to.

However, Patrick Mahomes floor is higher than Brays ceiling right now as far as im concerned.
I'm going to say this as politely as I can.

If you truly believe the bolded section, then you have no ****ing clue what you're looking at.

I mean none. At all.

He looks like a quarterback. Not a good one, but a guy that's played the position. His drop back is better, his base is better, his timing is better and his eyes are better. Bray looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than he looked upon arrival. He looked like some kid with a cannon they yanked off the street when he showed up. The guy couldn't even find the back of his drop. He was a train wreck.

Now he just looks like a toolsy if sub-standard quarterback. Which is to say he looks like a backup.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:46 AM   #124
Mahomosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare View Post
assimilating the playbook, is a mother****er evaluating film without possible times said rookie was shitting himself because he couldn't recognize the coverage set then had to Elway/Favre it. Throwing a player to the wolves isn't always the best idea or a David Carr,Jake Plummer, or Heath Shuler situation could arise.
Its not really throwing him to the wolves. Im not saying to start him. But if he earns the number two spot, why pussyfoot around and bury the kid on the depth chart? If anything that sends a shitty message about all the hard work that he has been putting in to try to master this shit as quickly as possible.
bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.bigjosh has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:48 AM   #125

Quote:

If you truly believe the bolded section, then you have no ****ing clue what you're looking at.

I mean none. At all.

He looks like a quarterback. Not a good one, but a guy that's played the position. His drop back is better, his base is better, his timing is better and his eyes are better. Bray looks SIGNIFICANTLY better than he looked upon arrival. He looked like some kid with a cannon they yanked off the street when he showed up. The guy couldn't even find the back of his drop. He was a train wreck.

Now he just looks like a toolsy if sub-standard quarterback. Which is to say he looks like a backup.
That's kinda the problem there.
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:49 AM   #126

Quote:
My biggest problem with bray is that he has been able to make wow throws since his first year at Tennessee. That is where it ends. He still shows the same exact tendencies to make dumbshit decisions 7 years later. He has not progressed at all since his sophomore season at Tennessee. Its only the first pre season game, so I wont read too much into it if Mahomes doesnt take his spot this week. But i fully expect Bray to be either third on the depth chart/or off of this team by week 1.
Nah, he just didn't see Hill on that pick. It happens in the maelstrom.

He felt the pressure, bought just enough time to move the pocket a bit and, in his defense, found the best option still available to him. Then he missed the throw. Shit happens to mediocre passers.

Old Bray heaves that ****er or runs around praying that a DB falls down. Here Bray clearly had a plan, it wasn't the best option but it wasn't the worst. He just didn't quite pull it off.

His process was better than his outcome. Process is what you're looking for in the pre-season with developmental guys and backups and I think he demonstrated growth in that regard.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:51 AM   #127
The Boom Boom Room

Quote:
Its not really throwing him to the wolves. Im not saying to start him. But if he earns the number two spot, why pussyfoot around and bury the kid on the depth chart? If anything that sends a shitty message about all the hard work that he has been putting in to try to master this shit as quickly as possible.
With Alex playing style and injury history He's going to start sooner than scheduled if he's the number 2
Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.Tribal Warfare is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo View Post
That's kinda the problem there.
Exactly what do you expect for a backup? There aren't 25 good STARTERS in this league.

Folks, if you're looking for more than mediocre at your backup QB, your looking for too much. I don't mean a QBOTF, but rather your genuine backups like Chase Daniel or Todd Collins. You're not finding a truly desirable option as a backup unless it's that guy you expect to be your starter someday.

NOBODY expects that from Bray, nor will they expect that from his replacement.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:52 AM   #129

Tyler Bray can have Bryan Leftwich success with a solid O-line giving him a minute to throw. He is a statue with an arm but accuracy challenged more times than he needs to be.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:53 AM   #130
Mahomosapien

Quote:

I mean none. At all.

none of that matters when he still makes the same dumbass mistakes.

I dont know if you saw this from the other post i made but i will post it again.
Statistically he has not progressed in any pre season yet. now he is playing with the second team around him instead of the third and still making the same mistakes.

He has always been able to make the flashy plays, but the intellect and decision making aspect of the game has always eluded him.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bray.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	114796  
Old 08-12-2017, 12:54 AM   #131

Quote:
Exactly what do you expect for a backup? There aren't 25 good STARTERS in this league.

Folks, if you're looking for more than mediocre at your backup QB, your looking for too much. I don't mean a QBOTF, but rather your genuine backups like Chase Daniel or Todd Collins. You're not finding a truly desirable option as a backup unless it's that guy you expect to be your starter someday.

NOBODY expects that from Bray, nor will they expect that from his replacement.
I expect someone who is eager and hungry to be better than just a backup and make himself worth while to be on the team not "just a backup" he is content at being a backup. I don't want someone content to be a backup I want someone who wants to be starter because he works his ass off to be a starter.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:57 AM   #132

This poll might be the greatest revealer of "True Fans" ever.
wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.wazu is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:58 AM   #133
Mahomosapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare View Post
With Alex playing style and injury history He's going to start sooner than scheduled if he's the number 2
Does anybody really know what kind of schedule the kid is on? Alex has only missed 3 games in the last 4 years, and 1 of those was by design IIRC.

I trust the kid more than bray to come in and play one game if Alex goes down for a week.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #134

Tyler Bray isn't the one going after Alex Smith job like Patrick Mahomes II going out to prove to everyone. Tyler Bray is just what he is and if/when he is told he is the third string quarterback he will just accept it instead of asking to compete elsewhere. I'd have respect for Tyler Bray to want to be starting quarterback but he is not making any case for that job and you would want that attitude from a guy that's has been groomed this long. JMO.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #135

Quote:
none of that matters when he still makes the same dumbass mistakes.

I dont know if you saw this from the other post i made but i will post it again.
Statistically he has not progressed in any pre season yet. now he is playing with the second team around him instead of the third and still making the same mistakes.

He has always been able to make the flashy plays, but the intellect and decision making aspect of the game has always eluded him.
which tells you that pre-season statistics mean ****-all.

He's a light years better player than he's ever been and significantly more capable than he was. I've wanted the guy cut the last 2 seasons - I am not a person who put much faith in Tyler Bray. But he actually looked like someone that can run an offense tonight. Stats be damned, that has never been the case in the past.