Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-24-2004, 08:25 AM  
Supporter

Handy-Man Corner

I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:45 AM   #31
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCTitus
Out here in the east coast, it's common to see a rod 'carrier' on the front grill of a truck, it's a set of PVC tubes that are held by a bracket in front of the grill. Sometimes, it's in the back of the bed closest to the back window of the cab of the truck.

Place the rods in the PVC tubes and off you go...

The larger poles used for salt water/deep see fishing are carried in this fashion since they're 15ft or longer.
In VA Beach I bought a Ram Charger from a guy that had a chromed out fishing pole/cooler carrier on the bumper.
KC Kings is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KC Kings is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:07 AM   #32
Starter

Anyone know how to tie the "trucker's knot"?

I was loading some furniture in the back of my truck. Being the handy man that I am, my "tie down" technique consisted of multiple square knots and repetitive wraps. Not pretty.

My buddy tied what he called a "trucker's knot". It worked like a champ. The line was looped back on itself and could be tightened with a pulley-like action.
Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #33
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroach
Anyone know how to tie the "trucker's knot"?

I was loading some furniture in the back of my truck. Being the handy man that I am, my "tie down" technique consisted of multiple square knots and repetitive wraps. Not pretty.

My buddy tied what he called a "trucker's knot". It worked like a champ. The line was looped back on itself and could be tightened with a pulley-like action.
Yeah, I use them all the time. There's a couple of ways to tie them. Here are a couple of websites with pretty good instructions:

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Trucker's%20hitch

http://www.constructionwork.com/resources_details_1330trucker's_hitch_or_lorry_knot.html

They'll do in a pinch, but I prefer ratchet straps to anything, in all honesty.
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #34
In Search of a Life

Alright, just saw this on a flyfishing board where they were talking about canoes and how to attach them to cars. Anyway, this was an awesome idea that someone posted.

Quote:
Lift the hood of your car. Look for a series of bolts that attach the fender skin to the body.

Take a section of 1 inch wide nylon webbed strap. Fold it over and CAREFULLY cut slots near both ends. Remove a bolt from both sides of the car. Insert the bolts through the slots cut into the strap. Replace the bolts and tighten securely.

You will wind up with sturdy nylon anchor loops that can be pulled out for use, and tucked in, out of sight when not in use.
Here's some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	034347.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	31940   Click image for larger version

Name:	034348.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	31941  
NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.NewChief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #35
Supporter

Anyone have any tips on winterizing a boat?

I know about Fuel stabelizers and filling the tanks to prevent corrosion..........and I've heard about "foggers".
Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.Iowanian is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:40 PM   #36
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowanian

I know about Fuel stabelizers and filling the tanks to prevent corrosion..........and I've heard about "foggers".
Run it out of gas, if you can
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:43 PM   #37
Supporter

You mean start it, and pull the gas lines and let it run dry?

I've got both tanks mostly full. I was going to dump them into my gas hog, but have been told to put stablizer in them and leave them full?

I plan on dropping the motor down and draining the oil, to check for water(gear oil) and refilling that.

I don't really know how to do this "fogger" I've heard about..........just take out the spark plug and spray it in and turn it over?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:49 PM   #38
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Quote:

Use a product called "Seafoam" if you can find it as well. It will prevent any kind of rust from building up in the engine while it sits.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #39

Quote:
You mean start it, and pull the gas lines and let it run dry?

Yes.

I've got both tanks mostly full. I was going to dump them into my gas hog, but have been told to put stablizer in them and leave them full?

Are you talking an inboard or and outboard? We have never used a stabilizer in our outboards.

I plan on dropping the motor down and draining the oil, to check for water(gear oil) and refilling that.

Must be an I/O. Not sure about the maintenance on those.

I don't really know how to do this "fogger" I've heard about..........just take out the spark plug and spray it in and turn it over?

Never heard of fogging an I/O, but I would bet it could be done. We used to do that with our 115, but haven't in years, and never have with our 25's.
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:52 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana
Use a product called "Seafoam" if you can find it as well. It will prevent any kind of rust from building up in the engine while it sits.
I second that. Miracle in a can.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:58 PM   #41
Supporter

how does this seafoam work?

Its a 50hrs merc outboard.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:01 PM   #42
Supporter

For an extension cord, this device is great.

http://www.cordpro.com/
Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.Lzen is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:04 PM   #43
Supporter

Patching Ceiling texture.

The other day, I was helping someone on a 2nd floor project, when some plumbing broke and sprayed some water..........Of course it leaked an a perfectly good ceiling was damaged.

Anyone have experience with the "texture in a can" stuff? How well will it blend?
Old 10-15-2004, 02:05 PM   #44

It is a stabilizer and cleaner. If there is carb buildup/problems, if that doesn't fix it, it has to come apart. Just add it to your gasoline.

Outboards. Yes my man, you have come to the right place.

Fogging helps coat the cylinders. I think it is a good idea in the bigger engines, but we have become lazy and don't do it anymore.

You run the fog through it until the engine stops. This way the cylinders are lubed up real good.

The only thing I don't like about fogging is:

a) there is still gas in the carborator, and
b) there may still be some water in the pump. you don't want that to freeze. make sure you get it drained as well as possible.

As far as your "draining the oil", I am assuming it is an injected motor. I wouldn't worry about it too much, other than looking into the oil resivoir and looking for moisture.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:07 PM   #45
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere

Quote:
how does this seafoam work?

Its a 50hrs merc outboard.
It got its start in MN when a bunch of old boys starting using it on their boat motors. It went from there and Walmart, Napa and a lot of other outlets sell it. It will put a light coat of fine oil on the inside of the motor to prevent rust. I use it to knock out any carbon build up in engines. You suck it in through an intake, let it sit for a few hours, start the car and it smokes like a stack of tires on fire for about 5 minutes. The stuff works great. It also works well on lawn mowers that are being stored for the winter.
Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bwana is obviously part of the inner Circle.