Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 07-09-2020, 12:16 AM  
The Demon Preacher

Hamilton

Currently out on Disney+. The film is performed my the original cast and was recorded in 2016. Has anyone here watched it? Thoughts?

I think that this is going to open a door for Broadway to make itself more accessible to the masses. How they took a stage production, put it to film, and still having the end product feel like a stage performance was outstanding to me.

As for the musical itself... I thought LaFayette/Jefferson stole the show. The dude was phenomenal in both roles and I hope he gets more opportunities in he future. The guy, who as my wife pointed out is apparently from Glee, was AMAZING as King George.

I found that Miranda's rapping and singing was the least memorable of the main cast. His story telling abilities, though, outweigh his deficiencies as a performer and I found his use of rap, among several others styles, to tell the story of Alexander Hamilton to be inspired.

I watched an interview he did where he speaks to how Hamilton's writing prowess has lead there to be more documents written by him than any other founding father. Rap has more words per measure than any other genre of music and he chose it so he would be able to fit in so much more information to tell a more complete story.

It was excellent and not at all preachy as you might expect from a main cast that is 87% POC on the subject of the slave owning forefathers.
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM   #16
Plays to win the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheater5 View Post
Why spend my money on something I inherently don't enjoy? You mention Eminem, Dr. Dre and Jay Z as people I should respect-- to my knowledge, and I am not exaggerating-- I haven't listened to even one of their songs in it's entirety.

ETA I just read the lyrics to 'My Mom' by Eminem. It does not instill me with respect for his skill and fluidity. In fact, it confirmed my previous thoughts on the 'art' form.
It's apart of Disney Plus, which is $7 a month, so not a terrible investment, worst case scenario is you can borrow your friends account to watch it like all streaming services, so your first excuse isn't really viable.

I don't inherently enjoy Country music or United States Women's Soccer, but I've been to concerts and watched games to see what all the commotion is about. I didn't turtle up in to a private safe space shell as to not offend my own outlook on the world and how I want to see it versus what it actually is. For every Beyonce song, there's a monster truck rally, I'm not going to rule out either just because I don't follow them.

You can have respect for rappers and other musician's even if you can't relate to their music. Does Eminem have some twisted lyrics about killing people, yeah, but I'm not going to say all his music is worthless and not worth my time just because I don't agree with one song. Life isn't always an all or nothing approach and shouldn't be treated that way. I care to experience most things life has to offer, but I was replying to the OP, not to your bubble.
Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 3 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenson71 View Post
It’s entirely rap with varying degrees of speed.
Eh, I don't think that's accurate. There's plenty of rap, of course, but there are some pretty "normal" musical songs strewn throughout as well. I'd guess maybe 75% rap, 25% sung. Essentially no spoken dialog though.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:26 AM   #18
What's up braj?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Eh, I don't think that's accurate. There's plenty of rap, of course, but there are some pretty "normal" musical songs strewn throughout as well. I'd guess maybe 75% rap, 25% sung. Essentially no spoken dialog though.
I honestly felt it hard to follow because of the no spoken words part. As a guy who’s seen it in theatre, was it easier to follow there?
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:29 AM   #19
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi View Post
I honestly felt it hard to follow because of the no spoken words part. As a guy who’s seen it in theatre, was it easier to follow there?
I certainly wouldn't say I picked up every word or anything the first time through. The plot overall is easy enough to follow, but if you're not used to the pace of the wording, it can be overwhelming. That said, I don't think you really need to hear every word to get the point. That's true of most musical works (even songs on the radio). If you really enjoy it, re-watching can bring a whole different experience.

Even so, my middle-class, retired, white parents from rural Kansas came to Denver and enjoyed it, so it's not like you have to be a rap fan to like it.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #20
What's up braj?

Quote:
I certainly wouldn't say I picked up every word or anything the first time through. The plot overall is easy enough to follow, but if you're not used to the pace of the wording, it can be overwhelming. That said, I don't think you really need to hear every word to get the point. That's true of most musical works (even songs on the radio). If you really enjoy it, re-watching can bring a whole different experience.

Even so, my middle-class, retired, white parents from rural Kansas came to Denver and enjoyed it, so it's not like you have to be a rap fan to like it.
I don't mind the rap, I just felt that I had to pay more attention than I normally do during a movie. Just wondered if I would enjoy it more without the distractions in my home.
Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.Jewish Rabbi is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:07 PM   #21
Kind of a mod

Quote:
I don't mind the rap, I just felt that I had to pay more attention than I normally do during a movie. Just wondered if I would enjoy it more without the distractions in my home.
I haven't done it, but I've read some people the interwebs saying that they turned on captions and enjoyed that. I think I'd personally find myself staring at the words too much.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:17 PM   #22
Starter

Quote:
I didn't have too much issue following it but i listen to alot of rap to begin with.

I kind of view it as heightened language in this case. Similar to Shakespeare. I may not understand every word as intended but i can follow the story and it gives replay value.
Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Chitownchiefsfan must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 07-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #23
Banned

You don't have to like rap but should be respected as an art form. It's just poetry.
eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.eDave is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #24
Supporter

Quote:
I haven't done it, but I've read some people the interwebs saying that they turned on captions and enjoyed that. I think I'd personally find myself staring at the words too much.
If the captioning is the same as the version I watched a while back [cough], they were very helpful.

Prior remarks, here;

https://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost...7&postcount=59

Last edited by Baby Lee; 07-10-2020 at 11:30 AM..
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:23 AM   #25
The Demon Preacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
i usually can't understand what they're saying when they rap

i prefer traditional musicals, like The Phantom of The Opera

and before you accuse me of racism, know that I saw a production with a black man as The Phantom

hard pass
Do you listen to any rap music at all? Do you enjoy the genre at all? Did you enjoy Rent?

I think a lot of people are going to be put off this musical simply because they don't enjoy that style of music.

/though I'm fairly certain you aren't racist... I don't think you having watched Phantom with a black lead is going to grant you the absolution you seek had you been accused of being one. lolol
Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.Mephistopheles Janx has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:03 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheater5 View Post
Why spend my money on something I inherently don't enjoy? You mention Eminem, Dr. Dre and Jay Z as people I should respect-- to my knowledge, and I am not exaggerating-- I haven't listened to even one of their songs in it's entirety.

ETA I just read the lyrics to 'My Mom' by Eminem. It does not instill me with respect for his skill and fluidity. In fact, it confirmed my previous thoughts on the 'art' form.
Just admit you have no rhythm and stop talking about a genre of music you have no clue about.
Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.Sorry < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:21 AM   #27
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
Just admit you have no rhythm and stop talking about a genre of music you have no clue about.
Personally I'm holding out for the hard rock version of MLK! starring Ted Nugent as King and Gene Simmons as Jessie Jackson.

Should be a hoot.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:40 AM   #28
Plays to win the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Personally I'm holding out for the hard rock version of MLK! starring Ted Nugent as King and Gene Simmons as Jessie Jackson.

Should be a hoot.
I think Lin Manuel Miranda and Leslie Odom Jr. have much more respect for the source material than Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons would have for civil rights. Might be obvious to say, but someone has to say it on this board from time to time.
Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.Gravedigger Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:28 AM   #29
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
I think Lin Manuel Miranda and Leslie Odom Jr. have much more respect for the source material than Ted Nugent and Gene Simmons would have for civil rights. Might be obvious to say, but someone has to say it on this board from time to time.
I doubt if Nugent and Simmons actively support domestic terrorists, either.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:08 AM   #30
Rockin' yer FACE OFF!

Saw it last night with my wife. It was worth the 7 bucks easily. (Plus, now I can watch The Mandalorian...).

I enjoyed it immensely. So much so that a second viewing is not at all out of the question. I'm not a rap guy at all, but I do find myself enjoying some rap music. Most noteably Emminem. Not because he's white, he just has a voice and a delivery that I can't ignore. There are a LOT of catchy cool songs in this, and the delivery by the stage actors only add to it. There are a TON of lyrics of course, so I don't expect to know every word no matter how many times I watch it. So that makes it way different than say Jesus Christ SuperStar, which I pretty much have memorized.

As a conservative, I was not offended at all. Yeah, there was some "Women Power" stuff and some "immigrant power" stuff, but not much. I thought the way they handled Hamilton's death was maybe one of the best things I've ever seen from a stage production.

I found myself thinking how good this story would be as a Netflix series to really flesh out the history, which I'm mostly ignorant of. That means that it did its job, it made me curious and I now want to know more about the whole thing.

Lastly, I made the mistake of watching the woke ass 45 minute special with the actors afterwards. Mostly when they talked about the art it was fine, but my SJW radar was beeping through most of it. Meh. Just watch the musical. It's just really good.

Favorite Characters:
Elisa
Burr
King George
Washington
Lafayette\Jefferson
Hamilton

Yeah, the namesake was the weakest performer IMO.
InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.InChiefsHeaven is obviously part of the inner Circle.