Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 06-01-2020, 12:13 PM  
Most Valuable Villain

Build or prebuilt PC for my needs

I couldn’t find the “Build Your Own PC” thread, so I figured I’d create my own.

Haven’t had a gaming PC in a long time. I mostly play PS4. I’m looking into getting a desktop PC that can handle gaming (both on a monitor and a TV), Photoshop and Illustrator and then as a media PC that I can play movies. I’m looking into burning all of my DVDs to a hard drive so that I can play them in my media room or downstairs on my main TV.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Should I go prebuilt or build my own? Keep in mind that I’ve never built my own.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #106
Time Keeps On Slipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
So I could go with the 3600x and the B450 motherboard and be fine?
I think it's still the same generation as the 3700x (the 3 designates the generation, like before these, they were called the 2700x and 2600x respectively), so the same issue may apply. But again, I have not done much research at all on the Ryzens. Last time I used an AMD was back in the Athlon 64 days in the early's '00s.
Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.Pants has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #107
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1020 View Post
Ya. Although if you wanted to go with a B board I would wait for the B550's to launch on June 16th and see what it's all about.
I’m in no hurry to buy anything right now. So I can wait.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:50 AM   #108
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Ya. Although if you wanted to go with a B board I would wait for the B550's to launch on June 16th and see what it's all about.
So has there been any speculation on how much the B550 boards are going to cost when they come out?
Old 06-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #109
Most Valuable Villain

I’m just trying to determine what parts I should start buying and what parts should I wait on.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:15 AM   #110
In Search of a Life

Quote:
So has there been any speculation on how much the B550 boards are going to cost when they come out?
I havent read anything about them since I'm not building right now but I would imagine lower tier boards will start around $90-100 and the higher tier boards will be around $150.

Quote:
I’m just trying to determine what parts I should start buying and what parts should I wait on.
When I build I start piecing things together if I see a sale, but I only buy things that I can test that they are working with what I already have. I'll buy the case, PSU, GPU, SSD/HD, and fans. I'll buy the motherboard, CPU, and memory all at once because I have no way of testing those to make sure everything is working.
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #111
Veteran

Quote:
I havent read anything about them since I'm not building right now but I would imagine lower tier boards will start around $90-100 and the higher tier boards will be around $150.

When I build I start piecing things together if I see a sale, but I only buy things that I can test that they are working with what I already have. I'll buy the case, PSU, GPU, SSD/HD, and fans. I'll buy the motherboard, CPU, and memory all at once because I have no way of testing those to make sure everything is working.
That is good advice. Generally you have a 30 day return window with parts without hassel, so it's a good idea to buy everything together so you can complete the build and verify everything is working ok. If you're beyond the 30 day return window, then you have to deal the manufacturers RMA process, and that is much slower.
Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Bill Brasky has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #112
Politically Incorrect

I'm lucky, it doesn't take a powerful PC to run Solitaire
scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.scho63 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #113
Most Valuable Villain

Looks like it’s going to be a while before I can get a B550 motherboard. They’re all on back order and sell out as soon as they come available.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:52 PM   #114
Veteran

Quote:
Looks like it’s going to be a while before I can get a B550 motherboard. They’re all on back order and sell out as soon as they come available.
Go with an X570. I recently built a system for a friend with the MSI X570-A board, Ryzen 7 3800X, Gigabyte 2070 Super video card - the system was insane in performance.
Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.Vegas_Dave must have mowed badgirl's lawn.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #115
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Honestly the savings isnt near as much as I would have thought. Everyone was pretty shocked at the prices of the boards. If that X570 Tomahawk is in stock I would just buy that. Only talking about $20-30 more than a decent B550.

If that one cant be found at a decent price then the ASUS TUF Wifi or Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wifi would be fine. I've personally got the Elite non wifi version and I've not had a problem with it.

EDIT: It seems everything is sold out right now. Wonder if there is a supply chain issue with the whole covid deal.

Last edited by jd1020; 06-24-2020 at 10:02 AM..
jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.jd1020 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-24-2020, 04:18 PM   #116
Most Valuable Villain

How’s this look?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3L3HMc
Old 06-24-2020, 07:25 PM   #117
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Looks fine.

Just a couple things

1) I'm not too sure about cooler master PSUs. There used to be a website called johnnyguru who dedicated his life to reviewing and tearing down PSUs and I cant recall a CM PSU he thought well of. He no longer reviews PSUs because he was hired by Corsair but there is still a somewhat active forum community there.

2) The m.2 ssd you selected is just a sata ssd in m.2 form so if you were looking for NVMe you'll want a different drive. However you probably wouldn't notice a difference. The hdd you selected is also optimized for 24/7 streaming. I'm not sure if that's going to be the best option for you.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:09 PM   #118
Psycho Bag Of Squanch

Quote:
Recommend you look into replacing that Western Digital drive with a Samsung 970 Evo.

I know it adds to total cost but if there is any way you can get an SSD instead of a spinning drive like that Seagate you’ll always be glad you did. For example, a Crucial 2tb ssd.

*Edit* JD addresses this in point #2 directly above

Last edited by vailpass; 06-24-2020 at 10:23 PM..
vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.vailpass is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #119
Most Valuable Villain

Ok. Let’s try this again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbdJ4n
Old 06-25-2020, 09:44 AM   #120
Hockey Town

Quote:
Ok. Let’s try this again.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mbdJ4n
You have a ton of the same stuff I have in that list other than I went with an Nvidia card.
Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.Mecca is obviously part of the inner Circle.