Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum

Old 05-13-2020, 11:47 AM  
__

We gotta talk about this UDFA class.

The amount of skill and potential from this UDFA class the Chiefs secures is as good as any I’ve ever seen for any team. It’s possible we land three starters from this group, and end up with up to seven guys that contribute regularly over the next three years.

How the hell did Veach do this?

Give us your thoughts on individual players from the UDFA class. Veach needs to knock it out of the park like this every year.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-17-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
Andy Reid Supporter

I try to temper my expectations bc odds are only 1 or so of these guys will be a starter on average.

I was sky high on Jamal Custis last year. Loved everything about him, but he was a dud.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2020, 09:57 AM   #17
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

So you gotta figure the Chiefs carry 9 offensive lineman, right? I wonder how much room there is for the new guys.

You can pretty much write a few of these guys in pen.

Fisher
Schwartz
LDT (otherwise they don't restructure)
Niang
Remmers
Rankin

Can't imagine any way those 6 aren't on the roster. Reiter almost certainly will be as well as he started all year, he's cheap and he's good in pass pro. Even if someone else takes the C job from him somehow, he just slots in too well as the backup C so let's just say those 7 spots are spoken for.

So you have two spots w/ Allegretti and Wylie having an edge for them. But ultimately you have these guys fighting for 2 spots:

Allegretti
Wylie
Senat
Hunter
Barton
Durant
Williams
Fair

So if Williams makes the team, it's at the expense of Allegretti or Wylie. If Niang makes a good guard conversion and Rankin comes back healthy enough to rely on, then Wylie's known quantity value drops a bit as well. At that point you could see Durant making the squad as a long-term swing tackle but even then, I think he'd have to leapfrog Senat (who the team seemed to like last year). Williams would end up your backup IOL at that point w/ Durant as the spare swing tackle behind Remmers.

It seems possible that Rankin could start the season on the IR but what limited information we've gotten there has suggested he's on the right track recovery-wise.

Kinda difficult sledding for the UDFA linemen, but I'd sure like to see them force themselves into the dialogue.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2020, 10:27 AM   #18
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
So you gotta figure the Chiefs carry 9 offensive lineman, right? I wonder how much room there is for the new guys.

You can pretty much write a few of these guys in pen.

Fisher
Schwartz
LDT (otherwise they don't restructure)
Niang
Remmers
Rankin

Can't imagine any way those 6 aren't on the roster. Reiter almost certainly will be as well as he started all year, he's cheap and he's good in pass pro. Even if someone else takes the C job from him somehow, he just slots in too well as the backup C so let's just say those 7 spots are spoken for.

So you have two spots w/ Allegretti and Wylie having an edge for them. But ultimately you have these guys fighting for 2 spots:

Allegretti
Wylie
Senat
Hunter
Barton
Durant
Williams
Fair

So if Williams makes the team, it's at the expense of Allegretti or Wylie. If Niang makes a good guard conversion and Rankin comes back healthy enough to rely on, then Wylie's known quantity value drops a bit as well. At that point you could see Durant making the squad as a long-term swing tackle but even then, I think he'd have to leapfrog Senat (who the team seemed to like last year). Williams would end up your backup IOL at that point w/ Durant as the spare swing tackle behind Remmers.

It seems possible that Rankin could start the season on the IR but what limited information we've gotten there has suggested he's on the right track recovery-wise.

Kinda difficult sledding for the UDFA linemen, but I'd sure like to see them force themselves into the dialogue.
Wylie would have 20 starts to his resume with L/R interior flexibility, not to mention his experience at T from college. If a team needed OL depth, he is an ideal player for them, so he could have had some trade value (a 6th or 7th rounder maybe). Or maybe Veach does one of those crap-for-crap player swaps and we get a lottery ticket player at a position of more need.

The problem is the quarantine offseason doesn't give us time to evaluate the new players we brought in, nor does it give other teams an opportunity to spot a hole in their depth.

Oh well. I trust this staff, obviously, but I hope we don't go with a low-grade known like Wylie if there's actually something to work with and mold in Williams or Durant.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:30 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
Wylie would have 20 starts to his resume with L/R interior flexibility, not to mention his experience at T from college. If a team needed OL depth, he is an ideal player for them, so he could have had some trade value (a 6th or 7th rounder maybe). Or maybe Veach does one of those crap-for-crap player swaps and we get a lottery ticket player at a position of more need.

The problem is the quarantine offseason doesn't give us time to evaluate the new players we brought in, nor does it give other teams an opportunity to spot a hole in their depth.

Oh well. I trust this staff, obviously, but I hope we don't go with a low-grade known like Wylie if there's actually something to work with and mold in Williams or Durant.
Yeah, there just appears to be a lot of overlap between Williams/Allegretti and Durant/Wylie.

But let's be honest - every team in the league passed on Williams and Durant multiple times. There's a reason for that. Meanwhile Wylie, for as much as he struggled last year, was a solid player in '18 and forced his way up an NFL depth chart. Allegretti showed enough in college to get drafted.

There's a good chance that novelty is doing more work than it should be here. But in the end I think the worst case scenario is that 9th guy in the room is someone that's started games for an eventual SB champion. That's not a bad place to find yourself.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:38 AM   #20
In Search of a Life

You're also gonna have a weird offseason so I'm guessing they'll go more with guys they "know" whereas guys that might be better won't have that ability.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:56 AM   #21

It's also possible that they run with 10 OL given the roster expansion. It would be a nice spot for a developmental prospect given the spotty contributions of the IOL and the fact that most of those guys are going to be FAs next season (I think LDT's deal voids, Reiter, Wylie and Remmers deals all expire, IIRC).

So you up the number of OL to 10 and come up with a phantom injury for another guy to tuck away on the IR and you manage to squirrel away a couple developmental guys. And you could probably get at least one of them on the PS as well.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 12:35 PM   #22
Most Valuable Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
It's also possible that they run with 10 OL given the roster expansion. It would be a nice spot for a developmental prospect given the spotty contributions of the IOL and the fact that most of those guys are going to be FAs next season (I think LDT's deal voids, Reiter, Wylie and Remmers deals all expire, IIRC).

So you up the number of OL to 10 and come up with a phantom injury for another guy to tuck away on the IR and you manage to squirrel away a couple developmental guys. And you could probably get at least one of them on the PS as well.
I always wondered how the IR works. Does the NFL request doctors reports if they’re suspicious of the injury? Or do they just not give a **** until another team reports someone else?
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-18-2020, 12:41 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
I always wondered how the IR works. Does the NFL request doctors reports if they’re suspicious of the injury? Or do they just not give a **** until another team reports someone else?
I kinda feel like everyone turns a blind eye to it unless someone steps too far out of line.

I don't think the league does anything sua sponte and I don't think any organizations are gonna report anyone else because they all kinda wink/wink their way through it.

Ultimately I guess it would have to be a player or agent that would serve to blow the doors off something.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #24
Veteran

The Kansas City Chiefs offensive line with age and current contract.. The dollar figures beside “CAP”, is the cap number with the number of contract years. Trade cost is Cap dollars with post June 1 trade.

#72 Eric Fisher, age 29, Central Michigan, 6-7, 315,
CAP $14,981,666, $14,681,668, Dead Money $8,913,334

#74 Martinas Rankin, age 25, Mississippi State, 6-5, 311,
CAP $750,000, $920,000, Dead Money $0

#62 Austin Reiter, age 28, South Florida, 6-3, 300,
CAP $3,758,334, Dead Money $333,334

#76 Laurent Duvernay-Tardif, age 29, McGill, 6-5, 321,
CAP $5,500,000, $4,000,000, Dead Money $9,500,000

#71 Mitchell Schwartz, age 30, California, 6-5, 320,
CAP $10,820,000, $10,005,000, Dead Money $14,220,000

#73 Nick Allegretti, age 24, Illinois, 6-4, 320,
CAP $712,488, $887,988, $1,002,988, Dead Money $83,964, Trade Cost $27,988

#68 Jackson Barton, age 24, Utah, 6-7, 302,
CAP $690,000, Dead Money $15,000

#60 Ryan Hunter, age 25, Bowling Green, 6-3, 316,
CAP $675,000, Dead Money $0

#70 Greg Senat, age 25, Wagner, 6-6, 305,
CAP $675,000, $850,000, Dead Money $0

#75 Mike Remmers, age 31, Oregon State, 6-5, 308,
CAP $887,500, Dead Money $887,500, Trade Cost $137,500

#67 Lucas Niang, TCU, 6-6, 315, Not signed yet

#77 Andrew Wylie, age 25, Eastern Michigan, 6-6, 309,
CAP $750,000, Dead Money $0

#?? Yasir Durant, age 21, Missouri, 6-6, 331,
CAP $612,333, $783,333, $898,334, Dead Money $150,000, Trade Cost $3,333

#?? Darryl Williams, age 22, Mississippi State, 6-2, 304,
CAP $612,333, $782,333, $897,334, Dead Money $107,000, Trade Cost $2,333

#?? Jovahn Fair, age 23, Temple, 6-2, 315,
CAP $611,666, $781,666, $896.668, Dead Money $5,000

It is hard to narrow this list down to 9 players for the OL.

Information from https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/kansas-city-chiefs/
Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.Wilson8 would the whole thing.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 AM   #25
__

They carried 11 OL at one point last season. I started a (bad) joke thread about it.

I think it's a slam dunk they carry 10 in the coming season.

My projections:

Starters: Fisher, Wylie, Reiter, Duvarney-Tardif, Schwartz
Reserves: Niang, Rankin, Allegretti, Remmers, Williams

Trade bait, or practice squad: Barton

Practice squad: Durant, Senat

Put in a cannon and fired into the sun: Hunter
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 AM   #26

Yeah - every time I went through the list and saw Hunters name on there, it almost irked me that he'll get a Super Bowl ring. He was somehow on the active roster for the SB - just crazy.

He has to be a non-factor, right?

I think they'll give all 5 of those reserves a long look at replacing Wylie. They seemed REALLY down on him last year and you just never see that for starting OL on Reid's squads. Just think of the chaff Andy has let ride out the season as a starter. Mike McGlynn, Ryan Harris, Jah Reid, Bryan Witzmann. You get in that starting lineup and nothing short of amputation will have you removed.

They cited injury for Wylie but they were pretty clearly trying to find a soft landing for him down the stretch. Had he been performing, he'd have probably never missed a game.

Wylie seems to be playing out the string here, but he also seems like a fairly popular teammate so I suspect they'll keep him around for the year as a cost-effective reserve and insurance policy. Andy's career in Philly was largely ended by an OL that fell apart w/ nothing behind them so I would be surprised if he ever finds himself that exposed again.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #27
__

Well as you noted, Reid is big on hanging on to guys on OL, and this offseason is unfair to newbies trying to crack the roster, so it's as good a time as any for Ryan Hunter to make the roster.

His play was so atrocious last year in, I think, only 16 snaps at LG that I can't believe he stayed on the roster. But there he was, actually on the active 46 in Miami. So don't ask me.

I think they really do want to improve on Wylie at LG -- they clearly wanted to improve at all three interior OL spots.

RG: they went hard for Andrus Peat
C: widely believed they were circling Cesar Ruiz
LG: they drafted Niang -- a tackle -- and have said they'd like to see him at LG

Wylie is clearly on the hotseat, but I can't see a guy on the roster who starts over him. Niang is a pure tackle. I think they really like Rankin, who has a real shot. Allegretti seems more of a center and Hunter is an abomination. And I don't know anything about Senat or Barton, except they were on the roster for most of the season last year.

Maybe that's where Remmers comes in. Maybe that's what Sweeney was talking about, I don't know.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #28

Reid never seems to have an issue w/ taller interior linemen. I tend to prefer them at around 6'3" but Reid just doesn't seem all that concerned about the leverage issues. Seems he believes it can be coached out and that's that. So ultimately I wouldn't call Niang a 'pure tackle' anymore than I'd have called Wylie one when he came out of college as a T himself. Reid will put levery guys on the interior line.

The issue I see with Niang at G is that he'd be at LG and asking a rookie to switch positions AND sides is asking a whole lot of him, especially with a shortened schedule.

And if Wylie has the job out of camp, he'll have it all year unless he's injured.

So yeah, seems like it would need to be Rankin or Remmers as they're more likely to be NFL ready w/ the truncated timeline. I think anyone that can play C can also play G, so if Allegretti shows progress I see no reason why he couldn't win the job. Williams looks so damn powerful in his clips but not terribly athletic so I wonder if that will work for Reid. He's also a little shorter which again - not a problem for me but might just be a problem for Andy.

If Rankin is healthy, I think he gets the gig.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:25 AM   #29
Most Valuable Villain

Rankins actually looked good when he was in at LG. I would rather give Niang a year to learn the offense as the swing tackle.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:42 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Franchise View Post
Rankins actually looked good when he was in at LG. I would rather give Niang a year to learn the offense as the swing tackle.
I think we've overstated how good Rankin was, but he showed enough potential that with additional development he could win the job.

I mean we kill Wylie, but he gave up 2 sacks in over 700 snaps. Rankin gave up 1 in less than 300. Small sample size caveats apply for Rankin but he'd have needed to go 400+ additional snaps without giving up a sack to 'beat' Wylie and if he gives up only 1 he's just on par with the guy who we thought was just trash in pass pro.

And the run blocking was no better with Rankin in there than it was with Wylie.

I'm basing my faith in Rankin on the fact that he showed himself capable of being an adequate backup with very little experience and he has the pedigree (college and draft status) to continue improving. But if the injury gets in the way of that, he's probably no better than Wylie. He needs to continue to develop to win that spot.