Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 06-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #2
error 404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunit35 View Post
We test drove a Tesla Model Y Performance today. Been looking at one for a few weeks. Wife’s current car is a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT that takes premium and gets 13 MPG. Premium was $5.15 today.

How’s the insurance on these Teslas?
Consumer Reports trashed the Model Y. The Mustang EV has been getting great reviews.
sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.sd4chiefs Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 06-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunit35 View Post
We test drove a Tesla Model Y Performance today. Been looking at one for a few weeks. Wife’s current car is a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT that takes premium and gets 13 MPG. Premium was $5.15 today.

How’s the insurance on these Teslas?
Insurance was a concern for me as well. Through Geico my rates did go up but not as much as I had heard. I think it was around a 20% increase from the MDX to the MY performance.

That being said, I hit a highway cone at 4 AM on the way to work one morning. It was in the middle of the exit ramp and had been hit previously to where the black side was facing me so I didn't see it in time. Currently the parts for the Tesla have to come from Tesla so the total damage for a bumper, trim piece, and a bent "impact diffuser" was close to $5k. This was for damage that was barely noticeable. So I don't know how the insurance rates my adjust over time due to the high cost of repairs.

I love the car. I am not preaching green anything but I charge almost exclusively at work ($10 per month on employee plan). It's a bubbly, plain crossover family car that even my wife can drive, and it isn't a slouch if I want to go fast.
Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.Macroach has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 06-06-2022, 03:16 PM   #4
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macroach View Post
I love the car. I am not preaching green anything but I charge almost exclusively at work ($10 per month on employee plan). It's a bubbly, plain crossover family car that even my wife can drive, and it isn't a slouch if I want to go fast.
People seem to get hung up on the "green" stuff a lot (see: this thread). But the reality is that, unless you are the type to wax nostalgic about the loud engines of the past, most people pretty quickly come to love EVs because they're just a super pleasant driving experience. They're quieter than a lot of luxury vehicles, often at far lower costs. Even the cheapest EVs will beat most muscle cars off of the line. Similarly, the instant torque makes it a dream to move around in traffic since you can quickly zip ahead of someone when you need to. And then you realize you haven't gone to a gas station or had to get an oil change in years...

As I've said all along, I get the hesitation if you regularly drive hundreds of miles, but if you mainly need a commuter car, they're starting to hit "no brainer" territory.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:44 PM   #5
union paraplegic organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
. Even the cheapest EVs will beat most muscle cars off of the line.
BFD, what's your point? All cars beat me off the line, lol!
If I'm so inclined, mine eats on the big end when I want.

It's not only torque that gets you outta problems. Disc brakes, lol.

Last edited by rtmike; 07-06-2022 at 08:50 PM..
rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.rtmike Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
Bono & Grbac wasn't enough

Congrats
ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.ptlyon is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:31 AM   #7
MVP

I've never driven an electric vehicle. My luxury car of choice is Audi and they are switching to all electric.

I have a question for those who have driven them, do they all have that drag when you let off the gas that feels like your emergency brake is on? I absolutely hate that. I want zero drag when I coast. I once test drove a CX5 that gets great gas mileage and that's one of the reasons why apparently. It was awful and I went with a Rogue instead.

I would hate that if they all do that. I can't imagine that being the case though
Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Kiimo 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 06-17-2022, 08:37 AM   #8
Kind of a mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi View Post
I've never driven an electric vehicle. My luxury car of choice is Audi and they are switching to all electric.

I have a question for those who have driven them, do they all have that drag when you let off the gas that feels like your emergency brake is on? I absolutely hate that. I want zero drag when I coast. I once test drove a CX5 that gets great gas mileage and that's one of the reasons why apparently. It was awful and I went with a Rogue instead.

I would hate that if they all do that. I can't imagine that being the case though
Depends on the manufacturer and how they chose to program their cars. Most of them do WANT a tiny bit of drag since that's how you recapture a bit of power (regen braking). I don't personally find it to be significant, but you might.

You'd think Audi would have a mode that would minimize it, though, given their brand. Probably best just to take some test drives and play with the driving modes.

Last edited by DaFace; 06-17-2022 at 08:44 AM..
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-06-2022, 05:28 AM   #9
synthesis2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi View Post

That's a easy question, you can turn it off.

It has a option where you can switch it off with the touch on the screen and it will act like a normal car when cruising. But if you leave it on it will regenerate power from the breaking when your foot is off the gas, you also don't need to end up using your brake 98% of the time so its supposed to save your breaks where you don't need to replace them for 180k miles or more. but once you get used to it, takes about 100 miles of driving, you end up liking it more. or at least myself and my wife did.

Spent an extra $14 last month is electricitly vs. $300 in gas, they are freaking amazing!!
synthesis2 has disabled reputation
Old 07-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #10
Cynical Misanthrope

Electric Police cars aren't working:

https://www.the-sun.com/motors/57100...ing-out-power/
frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.frozenchief is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #11
Supporter

Let's not kid ourselves.

This is going to come down to having large battery banks charging solar at every house that owns an Electric vehicle.

They'll develop a way to dump a lot of juice quickly from those banks into the car.

Or a quick swap battery stock at every "gas" station.
notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.notorious is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:47 AM   #12
synthesis2

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
Let's not kid ourselves.

This is going to come down to having large battery banks charging solar at every house that owns an Electric vehicle.

They'll develop a way to dump a lot of juice quickly from those banks into the car.

Or a quick swap battery stock at every "gas" station.
we have a decent size house and our electric was $300-400 a month and now is $30-40 a month with the Tesla charger at the house. During the fall , winter and spring I would expect zero electric bill. virtually feels off the grid in a way.
Old 07-07-2022, 10:59 PM   #13
MVP

ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.ghak99 has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:21 AM   #14
MVP

nissan leaf is great if all you do is run around town. Won't help me much when I need to drive 400 miles for a trip
RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.RedRaider56 threw an interception on a screen pass.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:50 AM   #15
synthesis2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider56 View Post
nissan leaf is great if all you do is run around town. Won't help me much when I need to drive 400 miles for a trip
If people understood how charging works with fast chargers and how quick you can fill up they would rethink electric. I was the same way before I purchased our Model 3, I believe with the Leaf you can drive 200 miles , then find a supercharger (all over the place) and spend 10-15 minutes filling up and then go on your way, only spending around $5-8 for a full tank.