Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM  
The Maintenance Guy

Durango, CO

The Mrs and I will be heading there Labor Day weekend to check the Durango-Silverton train ride off the bucket list. We'll probably stay in the area a couple days so we're looking for other stuff to do, and also possible places to stay. We prefer a cabin type place over a hotel, but nothing fancy.

Anyone familiar with the area have any suggestions? I swear I've seen someone here with Durango as their location but can't remember who it was.

Also feel free to express your thoughts on the Dodge Durango in this thread as well.

Last edited by Bugeater; 07-26-2017 at 09:27 PM..
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

There is all sorts of cool stuff in the area. Check out Mesa Verde and wander up to Telluride. Ouray is quite pretty. You can pay the Indians five bucks to go stand on the Four Corners, too.

Durango is the biggest town in the area, but to be honest I find it the least interesting. I would recommend getting a cabin up near Ouray.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
Accustom yourself to the presence of cinders.

I still have a 'souvenir' kerchief from the train ride from way back when I was a wee one.
Wish I could give you more specific info, as it was perhaps the family vacation I enjoyed the most. We spent several weeks, Royal Gorge, rented a jeep and drove around for a day in Big Boy Basin, recall a really nice RV park in Colorado Springs.

Of all, the best memory was parking the RV for the night just off the highway next to a mountain stream, and just taking a cup to the stream for a cup of the best water ever.

Garden of the Gods
Mesa Verde
Pike's Peak

Remember Cave of the Winds took forever to get to via switchbacks. The long drive stuck in my mind because some Asain tourists pulled into the parking lot way up in the mountains, and the ball joint holding the front wheel of the rental car promptly fell off. Can't imagine the tow out on that one.

Worst memory was Black Canyon of the Gunnison, but I'm sure it isn't applicable these days. When we camped there, the entire sewage system was FUBAR. The entire camp smelled like a Porta-Potty, with both the sewage smell, and the chemical treatment [blue goo] smell.

If you're driving through Kansas to get there, take a moment and savor the scene when the mountains first appear on the prairie horizon. Such a serene, beautiful sight.
Durango is much further South West than the stuff up in the Springs. If I were that far west I would go to the 4 corners area. Maybe even take a ride down into New Mexico, Los Alamos is probably just as close as the Springs.

When we lived in Albuquerque back in the early 70's my dad used to take us to the reservations, not sure what they are like up that way some 40 years later but it stuck with me all these years. The high deserts were nice.

If you are there as a destination and to stay in one place ask the locals when you get there. We did that a lot on our trip last week and had lots of luck.

Take your time and enjoy, there is nothing like being on a vacation and taking your time not having to be anywhere at a set time and just enjoying being alive.
KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:40 PM   #18
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
Ouray is quite pretty.
Had a great aunt and uncle who retired to Ouray. spent all of two days with them passing through on a road trip to Disneyland with grandma and grandpa when I was 5.

Actually, the only things I really remember about a vacation THAT long ago was;

breakfast at a different Stuckeys every morning, including the hot chocolate with extra whipped cream on top.

the drunk indians passed out on the sidewalk when we took our evening walks around the motels from west CO on into CA.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:41 PM   #19
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Certainly for that anemic motor they first came out with.
I'm pretty sure the early 1st generation was available with a 318 V8 and the RT version had a 360. Later on they switched to the 4.7L V8.
Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bugeater is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #20
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeater View Post
I'm pretty sure the early 1st generation was available with a 318 V8 and the RT version had a 360. Later on they switched to the 4.7L V8.
Sorry if I besmirched in error. I've only been in a couple, but they gave off a roomier PT Cruiser vibe.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #21
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
There is all sorts of cool stuff in the area. Check out Mesa Verde and wander up to Telluride. Ouray is quite pretty. You can pay the Indians five bucks to go stand on the Four Corners, too.

Durango is the biggest town in the area, but to be honest I find it the least interesting. I would recommend getting a cabin up near Ouray.
That's almost a 2 hour drive to Durango.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #22
Ith Fuhtbawl Time

Maybe just go smoke weed and find some good food?
Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.Bewbies 's phone was tapped by Scott Pioli.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #23
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Sorry if I besmirched in error. I've only been in a couple, but they gave off a roomier PT Cruiser vibe.
I had a 99 Dakota with a dog-ass 3.9 V6 in it but I'm not sure they put that in the Durango. They may have, and if so I feel sorry for anyone who bought one.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:48 PM   #24
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewbies View Post
Maybe just go smoke weed and find some good food?
That's my plan for our 3 days in Estes Park. Very solid suggestion though.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #25
Kind of a mod

I just did a loop through the three Colorado National Parks that I hadn't hit (aside from RMNP) over the 4th of July weekend. On the way to or from, you could hit Sand Dunes National Park and/or Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Both are probably only worth 2-3 hours at most, but are pretty cool to see.

Durango is a cool town in that it has "stuff," but it's more of a base for other stuff to do than a destination in and of itself IMO. Cool downtown with some good restaurants and shopping, a few breweries, etc. Mesa Verde is worth the trip. I didn't do the train (sounds like fun for about an hour, but would then get pretty old). If you do, consider going up one day, staying in Silverton, and coming back the next day. The drive from Durango to Ouray is one of the prettiest our state has to offer.

I agree with Rain Man, Ouray wins the prize as the prettiest you'll find out there. There's a lot of hiking in the area, quaint downtown. There's brewery there called Mr. Grumpy Pants Brewery (aka Ourayle if you look it up), and it really is just a grumpy old dude making beer.

Telluride I have a mixed review of. Seems like a nice ski town, but it was pretty crowded when I was there and not really much to do, so I wouldn't personally say it's worth the effort, but I know a lot of people like it there.
DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:02 PM   #26
Veteran

Quote:
We had a 2nd gen with the 5.7 liter Hemi. It was a dealer demo deal. Didn't need it after my dad sold his boat but it would move.

Replaced it 12 years later with a 3rd gen 6 cylinder. I love the 6, we drove out to DC from Chicago on a tank of gas, it gets better mileage than my 3 series BMW and still has enough power to get up and down switch backs on the Lincoln Highway in Penn. My wife misses the power of the Hemi but I am happy with the 6. Didn't have any room to work in the engine compartment, will only need 6 plugs instead of 16. A year later still getting used to the auto shutoff at a complete stop, now have to hit a switch as we pull out of our suburb as it shuts off at the stop sign there. I leave it on if I am on a road with a lots of traffic lights but if I am just driving around our town I shut it off.

Last edited by KranzDictum; 07-27-2017 at 07:25 PM..
KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.KranzDictum is a favorite in the douche of the year contest.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:07 PM   #27
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
I just did a loop through the three Colorado National Parks that I hadn't hit (aside from RMNP) over the 4th of July weekend. On the way to or from, you could hit Sand Dunes National Park and/or Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Both are probably only worth 2-3 hours at most, but are pretty cool to see.
We will have a few hours to kill on the day we drive in so we could actually hit one of these places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFace View Post
Durango is a cool town in that it has "stuff," but it's more of a base for other stuff to do than a destination in and of itself IMO. Cool downtown with some good restaurants and shopping, a few breweries, etc. Mesa Verde is worth the trip. I didn't do the train (sounds like fun for about an hour, but would then get pretty old). If you do, consider going up one day, staying in Silverton, and coming back the next day.
Yeah, riding the train the entire day might be a be much, so we're thinking about doing a ATV tour/train package deal that will only be the return trip from Silverton to Durango on the train. I don't need to see everything twice.

Sounds like Ouray will definitely be the place to go on our second day out there.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #28
The Maintenance Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KranzDictum View Post
We had a 1st gen with the 5.7 liter Hemi. It was a dealer demo deal. Didn't need it after my dad sold his boat but it would move.

Replaced it 12 years later with a 3rd gen 6 cylinder. I love the 6, we drove out to DC from Chicago on a tank of gas, it gets better mileage than my 3 series BMW and still has enough power to get up and down switch backs on the Lincoln Highway in Penn. My wife misses the power of the Hemi but I am happy with the 6. Didn't have any room to work in the engine compartment, will only need 6 plugs instead of 16. A year later still getting used to the auto shutoff at a complete stop, now have to hit a switch as we pull out of our suburb as it shuts off at the stop sign there. I leave it on if I am on a road with a lots of traffic lights but if I am just driving around our town I shut it off.
Is that the 3.7 V6? I have that in my 2011 Dakota and it is light years better than the plodding 3.9 in my old one.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:11 PM   #29
In Search of a Life

I remember getting hit with a lot of soot and coal smoke on the Durango - Silverton line. You might research the best place to sit - also which side has the best views. I think you want to be as far back from the engine as possible to avoid the soot. Or maybe it was the other way around. Still it was very cool. I think we took the train up and a bus back or something.

Mesa Verde is awesome - Chaco Canyon is really cool too if you make it down that far (4 corners trip).
suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.suzzer99 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 PM   #30
Kind of a mod

Quote:
We will have a few hours to kill on the day we drive in so we could actually hit one of these places.

Yeah, riding the train the entire day might be a be much, so we're thinking about doing a ATV tour/train package deal that will only be the return trip from Silverton to Durango on the train. I don't need to see everything twice.

Sounds like Ouray will definitely be the place to go on our second day out there.
Random "not even trying" shot of Ouray from the deck of the Ouray Brewing Company.

DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaFace is obviously part of the inner Circle.