Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Who wins the back up quarterback 2017?
Tyler Bray 53 37.06%
Patrick Mahomes II 90 62.94%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2017, 03:10 PM  
Tip of the hat LIV Champs

Tyler Bray vs Patrick Mahomes II competition for backup

This should be a simple poll. Who do you all think will win the backup job to Alex Smith during training camp and preseason competition? Meaning the one that gets to suit up on game days to trust when Alex Smith gets KO~ed out of a game.

Andy Reid said this is a competition so let them duel it out.

Tyler Bray 5th year man being a back up to a backup gives him the edge knowing the system and being around the guys and coaching. He is currently the #2 quarterback.

vs the challenger

Patrick Mahomes II the #10 pick in the first round after trading up 17 spots and has a lot to learn but has desire to be the starting quarterback sooner than later.

This isn't about Alex Smith but who would you trust to go in a game if heaven forbid something happens to our starting quarterback to keep us alive for the playoffs?
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 AM   #46
Veteran

Assuming this poll is for the 2nd spot right out of camp. I think Bray wins it unless he gets injured, which is always a possibility. I don't necessarily think that necessarily means he will remain the #2 QB throughout the season but out of camp, I do think that's the case.
jaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellijaa1025 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1025 View Post
Assuming this poll is for the 2nd spot right out of camp. I think Bray wins it unless he gets injured, which is always a possibility. I don't necessarily think that necessarily means he will remain the #2 QB throughout the season but out of camp, I do think that's the case.
Yes right out of camp so who is going be backup when we play Patriots.

Now I think you have good points and I think it should be Bray to start the season as backup but during the season that could change.

On an even keel I think Patrick would surpass Bray but I don't think it will be an even keel as Bray has a leg up and coaches want to sit Patrick anyways.
Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rasputin is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #48
MVP

I think it co.es down to who do you want traveling with the team and getting meaningful snaps should smith go down.
Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Dunerdr is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:21 AM   #49
Banned

They're gonna need to put some weights around Mahomes ankles in training camp and teach him not to panic at the first sign of pressure- He's got horrible feet- throws off his back foot to much- He needs to learn to step into his throws- That game against TCU is a good example-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNB1ClZnskk

The NFL aint the Big 12- If he thinks he can play sand lot football like he did in college in the NFL, he wont last 3 years-
cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.cmdrzman < Tried to steal Andy's chili fries.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:34 AM   #50
Veteran

The chiefsplanet homerism is blinding some of your judgment lol We are asking if Mahomes will beat out Tyler freaking Bray?
thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.thegame214 has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:35 AM   #51
Veteran

I think it boils down to how fast PMII picks up the playbook. If he shows he can absorb most of the playbook pretty quickly then he's gonna be #2, if it takes him2-3 years like Bray then they stick with Bray. They aren't gonna trot him out there if all he knows is a couple running plays and 3-4 pass plays.
tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.tmax63 Forgot to Remove His Claytex and Got Toxic Shock Syndrome.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:41 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame214 View Post
The chiefsplanet homerism is blinding some of your judgment lol We are asking if Mahomes will beat out Tyler freaking Bray?
A first round pick VS a guy who never has taken a snap in a regular season game in the NFL in 5 years of being in the league.

It's not even a real fair contest Bray will get more reps in practice as the incumbent #2 but Patrick Mahomes II is up for the challenge.

At this point and judging by the votes it could go either way it looks like it can be close contest and that is good for all parties they can push each other to be better than they would be otherwise.

Even Alex Smith will have to push himself so he isn't embarrassed that the other two can outplay him.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #53
Andy Reid Supporter

Mahomes should be the backup so he can really develop in practice by taking reps on the scout team. The best way for Mahomes to learn is to actually play and go through his development in real time, then repeat it every day. He isn't going to learn anything standing at practice and watching everyone else.

We should also want Mahomes to be the backup because of what it means to Alex. I want Alex to know his job is on the line at all times and that he needs to play well consistently if he wants to keep the starting role.

Does anyone really think Alex would feel the slightest bit of pressure to perform if Bray is the backup?
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:55 AM   #54
Veteran

It depends on what Mahomes needs.

If he needs snaps, he will get more as #3 running the scout team even though it won't be with the Chiefs plays.

If he needs to learn to read defenses & grasp Chiefs playbook nuances under pressure, he is better off as #2 doing clipboard duties on game day even though he will have fewer practice snaps. (And I mean the playbook under pressure not the clipboard holder.)

My best guess is they will want him getting snaps handling the ball under center & doing drops.

So Bray 2 & Mahomes 3 is my guess.
Mike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby PiscitelliMike in SW-MO 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 07-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in SW-MO View Post
It depends on what Mahomes needs.

If he needs snaps, he will get more as #3 running the scout team even though it won't be with the Chiefs plays.

If he needs to learn to read defenses & grasp Chiefs playbook nuances under pressure, he is better off as #2 doing clipboard duties on game day even though he will have fewer practice snaps. (And I mean the playbook under pressure not the clipboard holder.)

My best guess is they will want him getting snaps handling the ball under center & doing drops.

So Bray 2 & Mahomes 3 is my guess.
The idea of the scout team is for the players to act like the opposing team so for the first game he would have to learn how Tom Brady plays and act like Tom Brady

This is not a bad idea at all He needs to study the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers and not so much learn from Alex Smith.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #56
In Search of a Life

100% performance based.

The best guy is the backup.

Hell, id play the shit out of bray this preseason and see if some team would flip us a pick.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #57
NFL's #1 Ermines Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaa1025 View Post
This is my scenario as well.

When push comes to shove, if they need a #2 QB on the field, though, I think they'll give Mahomes the reps.
Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rain Man is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:36 AM   #58
Threepeat!

Reid will go with Bray. Impossible to say at this point if that's the best move, but that's my best guess on what Andy Reid will do.
T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.T-post Tom is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #59
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-post Tom View Post
Reid will go with Bray. Impossible to say at this point if that's the best move, but that's my best guess on what Andy Reid will do.
I don't think Reid has any qualms about playing rookies. I know i may be alone in this, but i personally feel that if Mahomes develops at a rapid rate and demonstrates the ability to lead this offense, and Alex sputters or regresses, i don't think Reid will have a problem pulling the trigger.

I'm not in the camp that believes Alex is guaranteed a full a season.

My prediction: Bray will hold the #2 duties until Pre-season week 3. Then Mahomes will get a chance with the 2's.

Mahomes HAS to win #2 duties so he can dress on Sundays, even if he hasn't surpassed Bray. This is a foregone conclusion. How often does our 3rd string QB dress on Sundays?

If Smith regress, playoff contention or not, Mahomes will get the nod late in the season to ignite the offense.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #60
Rock Chalk Jayhawks! KU!!!

Other than being a load swallowing Homer. WTF has anyone ever seen that would warrant Bray be qualified to be a #2 backup?

I get some have to beat off to the thought of something scrub making some noise, but dayum this is sad...

If mahomes can't beat out this ballsack then we're ****ed...
Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.Reerun_KC is obviously part of the inner Circle.