Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room

Old 04-05-2017, 10:55 AM  
World's Best Boss

*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***

Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

Last edited by Chiefspants; 08-02-2017 at 01:53 PM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:29 AM   #121
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Ain't getting "3-4 top prospects" for these guys.
I know, I know
Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.Kidd Lex is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #122
M-I-Z-Z-O-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch View Post
Ain't getting "3-4 top prospects" for these guys.

Well, depends on how "top" you're talking, and whether you're hammering your trade return by insisting on guys who are close to MLB.

If you just take the best talent you can get for them, I could see Hosmer, Moustakas, and Cain netting something around 3-4 guys in the top 40-75 range.

Someone like Kennedy or Hammel or Vargas may also be able to be included as a secondary piece that helps you get a little more back (see the A's-Cubs trade, with Hammel as a rider for Lester).

But you're not getting Yoan Moncada or Giolito or someone like that.

Still, 3-4 top 100 guys would inject a lot of life into the Royals' system, which has a lot of young guys with upside.

Notes on that:
Sandwich pick Foster Griffin was bad the past two years but has been really good through two starts this season. Kind of similar to the Cody Reed breakout in 2015.

Zach Lovvorn is a small RHP, but also has turned in two excellent starts at NwA with good K numbers.

Junis was good at Omaha before getting the call and may be ready to slide in as a cheap back-end starter.

Ashe Russell is still he Invisible Man.

Khalil Lee is drawing rave reviews and seems to be a rare prospect for KC in that he is the toolsy, athletic type they like, but couples those tools with good plate discipline.

Meibrys Viloria is a C who has a chance to jump into top 100 lists if he hits like he has the past two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.duncan_idaho is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #123
World's Best Boss

I updated the OP with my burning questions for 2017. I spoiler tagged my analysis in an attempt to reduce the clutter. Apologies for the delay, I took a trip back to Kansas this weekend and have been slammed at work for the last two weeks.

Last edited by Chiefspants; 04-13-2017 at 10:56 AM..
Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.Chiefspants is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:55 PM   #124
MVP

This is like 2004-2006 Royals. I hope these guys start hitting soon.
jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.jimidollar would the whole thing.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #125
Rabbi Goldmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
Well, depends on how "top" you're talking, and whether you're hammering your trade return by insisting on guys who are close to MLB.

If you just take the best talent you can get for them, I could see Hosmer, Moustakas, and Cain netting something around 3-4 guys in the top 40-75 range.

Someone like Kennedy or Hammel or Vargas may also be able to be included as a secondary piece that helps you get a little more back (see the A's-Cubs trade, with Hammel as a rider for Lester).

But you're not getting Yoan Moncada or Giolito or someone like that.

Still, 3-4 top 100 guys would inject a lot of life into the Royals' system, which has a lot of young guys with upside.

Notes on that:
Sandwich pick Foster Griffin was bad the past two years but has been really good through two starts this season. Kind of similar to the Cody Reed breakout in 2015.

Zach Lovvorn is a small RHP, but also has turned in two excellent starts at NwA with good K numbers.

Junis was good at Omaha before getting the call and may be ready to slide in as a cheap back-end starter.

Ashe Russell is still he Invisible Man.

Khalil Lee is drawing rave reviews and seems to be a rare prospect for KC in that he is the toolsy, athletic type they like, but couples those tools with good plate discipline.

Meibrys Viloria is a C who has a chance to jump into top 100 lists if he hits like he has the past two years.

It's early, but I'm nearing the point I'm ready for this^
Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Prison Bitch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:38 PM   #126
Forever Royal

They need to start focusing on putting the ball in play again. The amount of strike outs they have is completely incompatible with the poor plate discipline and lack of power.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.mr. tegu has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #127
Cheat Death

That only works when you're controlled by the Royals. Otherwise, mash.
KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.KCUnited is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #128
I’m a Mahomo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The GMDM Hypothesis View Post
I was at Game 1 of the WS in 2015. I could never hate Alex Gordon.

This

KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 PM   #129
Supporter

Soooo. Is Vargas our ace then?
Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.Buehler445 is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #130
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buehler445 View Post
Soooo. Is Vargas our ace then?
Well, it's hardly as if Duffy has pitched poorly, but Vargas has been great. He's definitely our 2 so far.
Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.Why Not? is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 PM   #131
World's Best Boss

This start made me remember just how solid Vargas was during the first 3/4ths of the 2014 season. It gave me a flashback to a 2014 start he had against the A's. He went the distance and needed less than 100 pitches to do it. My hometown had a blackout that night, and listening to him seal the shutout was magical.

I think it was around the time the Sung Woo experience took KC by storm.

It was pretty incredible that we lost Shields, Vargas got injured, and Ventura pitched like Kyle Davies in the first half of 2015.. yet we somehow kicked ass and took names regardless.

Last edited by Chiefspants; 04-13-2017 at 11:31 PM..
Old 04-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #132
Let's Get Weird

Last night Josh Staumont bounced back in a huge way after a rough first start in AAA-Omaha.

Final line for Staumont last night:
6IP 0R 1H 12K 2BB

Guy can bring it. If he gets his command in check he will be a force.

Also, Strahm continued to stabilize at AAA last night:
2IP 0R 0H 3K 0BB

I bet it's not more than a week before he is back in KC.
C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.C3HIEF3S has parlayed a career as a truck driver into debt free trailer and jon boat ownership.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:49 AM   #133
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho View Post
I really was hoping the Houston series was a sign of life/the team waking up. That has turned sour in a hurry.

Offense has to do more. If Cain, Hosmer and Gordon don't produce, this offense probably isn't good enough.

They're pressing. Still a lot of season left, but they need to turn it pretty damn quick or they're going to get buried in the standings.

Hell, at this point I'd settle for Moss giving us Omar Infante numbers at the plate.

.220 is way freakin better than .043. Christ.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #134
mod-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S View Post
Last night Josh Staumont bounced back in a huge way after a rough first start in AAA-Omaha.

Final line for Staumont last night:
6IP 0R 1H 12K 2BB

Guy can bring it. If he gets his command in check he will be a force.

Also, Strahm continued to stabilize at AAA last night:
2IP 0R 0H 3K 0BB

I bet it's not more than a week before he is back in KC.
Nice
Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.Bowser is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #135
I’m a Mahomo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
Hell, at this point I'd settle for Moss giving us Omar Infante numbers at the plate.

.220 is way freakin better than .043. Christ.

He was also like 9/100 at the end of last season.

KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.KChiefs1 is obviously part of the inner Circle.