Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 05-16-2017, 06:46 AM  
Cast Iron Jedi

FOX & MacFarlane's The Orville

Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.Fire Me Boy! is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #46
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Lee View Post
I won't say it's not good, but it is often lazy. And South Park absolutely pinpointed why.

Many many of their jokes weren't so much jokes as 'hey, remember when this happened. . . .'

'Geez, I'm more nervous than when that pedophile tried to give Arnold ice cream' - cut to 5 minute cartoon re-enactment of an episode of Diff'rent Strokes.

'Geez, I'm more mad when the Duke Boys thwarted Boss Hogg' - cut to 5 minute re-enactment of an episode of Dukes of Hazzard.

Rinse, repeat.

It's not all that different from Talk Soup or Tosh.0 in that regard. More commenting on how weird the rest of TV is, than making new TV.

Non-OTA-network shows don't have the same FCC restrictions, so it really isn't a fair fight.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #47
Veteran

No surprise Seth would be in a Star Trek ripoff (not homage).

Watch one of the Family Guy Star Wars episodes and tell me it's not just a reskinned version with Family Guy characters and a few references disguised as jokes.

If FOX wanted to do a true Star Trek spoof, they should've called the Robot Chicken people.
kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.kjwood75nro is blessed with 50/50 Hindsight.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:20 PM   #48
Special Teams ACE!!!

I agree with the reviews. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Probably about 5 times in the first 20 minutes, I was expecting "here comes a MacFarlane joke!" followed by... nothing. Not even good plot-advancing dialogue. Just conversation. It was weird.

Also it's just... it's Seth trying to be cast in Star Trek. He loves it, and that's cool, but it seems to me like he's just living his fantasy by creating his own Star Trek. You've got the Remans from ST: Nemesis cast as the Klingon baddies. You've got Cassidy Yates from DS9. You've got Bashir's dad from DS9. I'm pretty sure the guy who played the stern one-gender con officer alien also once played a Jem Hadar from DS9. This show basically IS Star Trek with MacFarlane jokes, and sadly, not enough of them to make the premise sing the way he wants it to.

Sci-fi comedy isn't a popular genre for a reason. At least Red Dwarf never takes itself too seriously. This show teeters on being a legit drama half the time and nothing but Family Guy jokes the next.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:33 PM   #49
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Non-OTA-network shows don't have the same FCC restrictions, so it really isn't a fair fight.
Don't generate arguments on my behalf, thanks. . .

I didn't say South Park was better because it was raunchier. I said Family Guy was often lazy in it's structure.

It's popular, and often funny, because it picked a structure that is amusing in a light, fluffy, way. If you want to credit 16 years of longevity to that structural decision, go ahead, but it's reference machine, like the Manatees with beach balls lampooned.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #50
Supporter

Quote:
Don't generate arguments on my behalf, thanks. . .

I didn't say South Park was better because it was raunchier. I said Family Guy was often lazy in it's structure.

It's popular, and often funny, because it picked a structure that is amusing in a light, fluffy, way. If you want to credit 16 years of longevity to that structural decision, go ahead, but it's reference machine, like the Manatees with beach balls lampooned.
The point was that FG is often more limited with its content and humor as opposed to cable shows.

It's a very small sandbox, so it stands to reason that it can't replicate shows with less restrictions.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:49 PM   #51
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
The point was that FG is often more limited with its content and humor as opposed to cable shows.

It's a very small sandbox, so it stands to reason that it can't replicate shows with less restrictions.
You want to see how few restrictions there are, watch Rick and Morty. They make a lot of hay out the freedom on Adult Swim, but even without that freedom, it has way more creativity than just about anything out there, animated or no.

Nothing about network mandates FG's structure. If it did, it wouldn't be the only network show that has it.
Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.Baby Lee is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #52
Supporter

Quote:
You want to see how few restrictions there are, watch Rick and Morty. They make a lot of hay out the freedom on Adult Swim, but even without that freedom, it has way more creativity than just about anything out there, animated or no.
I've never seen it but I've only heard nothing but raves about it
Old 09-10-2017, 08:53 PM   #53
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Damn I forgot to record this and wasn't home.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #54
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Damn I forgot to record this and wasn't home.
Fox is streaming it. Your cable/sat credentials should give you access.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:01 PM   #55
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Quote:
Fox is streaming it. Your cable/sat credentials should give you access.
I'll watch it when I get home tomorrow.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:12 PM   #56
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSNR View Post
I agree with the reviews. It doesn't know what it wants to be. Probably about 5 times in the first 20 minutes, I was expecting "here comes a MacFarlane joke!" followed by... nothing. Not even good plot-advancing dialogue. Just conversation. It was weird.

Also it's just... it's Seth trying to be cast in Star Trek. He loves it, and that's cool, but it seems to me like he's just living his fantasy by creating his own Star Trek. You've got the Remans from ST: Nemesis cast as the Klingon baddies. You've got Cassidy Yates from DS9. You've got Bashir's dad from DS9. I'm pretty sure the guy who played the stern one-gender con officer alien also once played a Jem Hadar from DS9. This show basically IS Star Trek with MacFarlane jokes, and sadly, not enough of them to make the premise sing the way he wants it to.

Sci-fi comedy isn't a popular genre for a reason. At least Red Dwarf never takes itself too seriously. This show teeters on being a legit drama half the time and nothing but Family Guy jokes the next.
Damn.

I'm not even going to watch now

How disappointing.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #57
I've Made a Huge Mistake

It was ok. Reviews seem about right, maybe a little harsh.
NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.NJChiefsFan has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 PM   #58
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan View Post
It was ok. Reviews seem about right, maybe a little harsh.
I think that's to be expected. Seth is a talented guy who rubs critics the wrong way by making stuff that's not always that great in quality, but still is popular. And this is clearly an indulgence/reward of his ego for the money he's made the network.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #59
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
Damn.

How disappointing.
Approach it like you're living in a present-day society where StarTrek never existed, and you might enjoy it a lot more.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #60
Special Teams ACE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
Damn.

How disappointing.
I thought the Jem Hadar actor/character was funny.

Everything else... meh.

It DOES look pretty, though. I'll say that much.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.