Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center

Old 04-14-2014, 03:30 PM  
oxymoron

Syfy: The Expanse

I'm really excited about this - it's a fantastic set of books that I think could translate into really good TV.

Quote:
Syfy orders 'The Expanse' series based on 'Leviathan Wakes' (think 'Game of Thrones' in space)

By James Hibberd on Apr 11, 2014 at 6:30PM

Syfy has given a direct-to-series order to an exciting-sounding new project based on an acclaimed sci-fi book series. The cable network has ordered 10 episodes of The Expanse, from Academy Award-nominated screenwriting duo Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Children of Men, Iron Man) and Alcon Television Group. The project has been described by industry insiders as “Game of Thrones in space” — not so much because of the specifics of the plot, but because it tells a dramatic sprawling grown-up story within a popular fantasy genre that’s based on a respected series of novels.

The logline: “A thriller set two hundred years in the future, The Expanse follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship’s captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.”

The Expanse is based on a series of books by James S.A. Corey. The most well-known title is probably the first in the series, Leviathan Wakes, which has been praised for reinventing and updating the old-school Star Wars/Firefly-style space opera. Syfy won a bidding war with another content producer to acquire the project.

Syfy president Dave Howe promised, “The Expanse is epic in scale and scope and promises to be Syfy’s most ambitious series to date. Bringing this coveted book franchise to television with our partners at Alcon and the Sean Daniel Company is a giant win for Syfy, reinforcing our overall strategy to produce bold, provocative and compelling sci-fi fantasy stories. The Expanse joins a killer line-up of high-concept, high quality series, along with recently announced original projects Ascension, 12 Monkeys, the renewal of Helix, and the soon to premiere Dominion.”

Sean Daniel and Jason Brown of the Sean Daniel Company developed the original pitch, with Fergus and Ostby, and will also executive produce. “The Expanse is one of the most special pieces of material we’ve ever encountered and it has been our dream to bring it to life since the moment we read it,” Daniel and Brown said in a statement. “We couldn’t be more excited to be doing it with this team of all-stars.”

Added Alcon president Sharon Hall: “The Expanse is an addictive, sophisticated, character-driven franchise and Mark and Hawk are the perfect people to steer it. Their script is a totally immersive and accessible sci-fi journey.”
(Just FYI, the author of Leviathan Wakes, James S.A. Corey, is actually a collaberative pseudonym of authors Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck. I guess EW didn't know this...)
keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #136
MVP

I love this show, but i wait til it hits amazon prime to watch it. Syfy needs to have some option other than cable.
Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:21 PM   #137
oxymoron

keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.keg in kc is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-07-2018, 07:19 AM   #138
oxymoron

Back Wednesday night, so if you want to binge seasons 1 and 2 on prime, now's the time.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #139
Special Teams ACE!!!

Yeah, this shit is gonna be good.

I tried talking it up to people. I have no idea how to get this thing's ratings up, but I'm under no delusion that if the numbers don't support the show, SyFy won't bring it back for season 4.
RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.RealSNR is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #140
New and Improved

Was it me or was there about double the normal amount of commercials? I recorded it and started about 20 minutes late so I could FF through them but JFC it seemed like this show was about half commercials.

With that said, I thought it was a great start to the season.
stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.stumppy is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #141
MVP

After recently posting that I wait for this to hit Amazon Prime, ATT brought fiber to my neighborhood and hooked me up with the goods. It was kinda satisfying to finally tell Cox to **** off completely.

Love this show.
Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.Beef Supreme is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #142
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Goddammit I forgot it was on.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #143
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS

Watching now, but I have to suffer through the ****ing commercials.

That won't happen again.
Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.Frazod is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM   #144
oxymoron

Seemed a little slow but that might've been my mood.

The razorback was ****ing awesome, though. Way cooler than I ever imagined.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #145
"You like to drink?"

"Everyone's a winner on Eros" pops into my head semi regularly and I get sad.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:04 AM   #146
BAMF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frazod View Post
Watching now, but I have to suffer through the ****ing commercials.

That won't happen again.
I'm considering purchasing each episode on Amazon as they release. Just under $40 for the season doesn't feel too painful. Normally I would torrent that shit, but I want to reward this show. Also, I just purchased an HD projector that should arrive today. I'm pretty stoked to watch this show on a 10' screen (limited by room size).
bowener has disabled reputation
Old 04-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #147
"You like to drink?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowener View Post
I'm considering purchasing each episode on Amazon as they release. Just under $40 for the season doesn't feel too painful. Normally I would torrent that shit, but I want to reward this show. Also, I just purchased an HD projector that should arrive today. I'm pretty stoked to watch this show on a 10' screen (limited by room size).
Re-dubbing cuss words has aggravated me more than the commercial breaks.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #148
oxymoron

The cussing thing's starting to get on my nerves. They've allowed it on other shows, even went so far as running an ad campaign leading into the latest season of the Magicians centered around how all the '****s' wouldn't be bleeped. I just don't get it. Maybe it's related to the advertisers.

Speaking of that, maybe I'm just used to watching on Prime, but goddamn it seems like there's a lot of commercial breaks.

That said, it's a good season so far.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #149
Starter

These first 3 episodes have been fantastic! So far it's shaping up to be the best season yet. I really hope it doesn't get cancelled because its a great show.
FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.FlintHillsChiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:24 AM   #150
bite me

Quote:
Originally Posted by keg in kc View Post
The cussing thing's starting to get on my nerves. They've allowed it on other shows, even went so far as running an ad campaign leading into the latest season of the Magicians centered around how all the '****s' wouldn't be bleeped. I just don't get it. Maybe it's related to the advertisers.

Speaking of that, maybe I'm just used to watching on Prime, but goddamn it seems like there's a lot of commercial breaks.

That said, it's a good season so far.
I have never understood the obsession of some with allowing(or not) of cuss words. I'm older now - ancient actually - and I use very few cuss words so their absence doesn't bother me. However, I do remember my time in the service and I used words that would make a sailor blush. So when I hear a cuss word it seldom bothers me. I'm fine either way; it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the show.
I must add that I watched "The Magicians" this season and the girl who played Margo was absolutely hilarious. Her usage of cuss words was marvelous indeed.
old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.old_geezer has just been standing around suckin' on a big ol' chili dog.