Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Media Center
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 01-20-2016, 03:28 PM  
Supporter

Star Wars Episode VIII SPOILERS thread

For all things Episode VIII related info including spoilers.

The release date is now December 15, 2017.

The Official Synopsis from Star Wars.com

“In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi opens in U.S. theaters on December 15, 2017.”

New footage in Japanese Trailer

Last edited by DaneMcCloud; 10-31-2017 at 02:08 PM..
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:43 PM   #2356
Most Valuable Villain

Oh....AND BECAUSE ITS A ****ING MOVIE.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:44 PM   #2357
Veteran

Have some fun...

From Rian Johnson,

"For instance, with that prank call [between Poe and Hux] it’s meant to establish right up front to let the audience know that we’re going to have fun here. And if you’re not here to have fun in a Star Wars movie you’ve gotta open your mind a little bit because we’re going to have a good time during this movie. Hop onboard."

https://www.wired.com/story/rian-joh...ars-last-jedi/
temper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 03:55 PM   #2358
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklandhater View Post
Skywalker Bloodline ?

Anakin Luke Kylo and I guess now Leia.
So, to make your point, you ignore every single other Jedi in the story.

What is Obi Wan's bloodline? Yoda's? Kwi Gon? Mace Windu?
manchambo has disabled reputation
Old 12-19-2017, 04:00 PM   #2359
The man you could post like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchambo View Post
So, to make your point, you ignore every single other Jedi in the story.

What is Obi Wan's bloodline? Yoda's? Kwi Gon? Mace Windu?
Qui Gon.
Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Sassy Squatch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #2360
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingRed View Post
Just so people understand, the "Hyper Jump" that destroyed the ships....... Uh... Again why didn't the rebels just do this to both death stars?
For what it's worth, I think I would have preferred Holdo just using her ship to shield the escaping pods (once the pods are discovered) instead of the light-speed bomb. She goes out just as heroically and I don't have to ponder questions like this above.

But honestly, you can do this in just about every damn movie made, and certainly with star wars. Why didn't vadar just force grab the dude (Kylo-style and Snoke-style) trying to get rid of the death star plans in Rogue One and drag him down the hall?

If you can turn on someone else's lightsaber from across the room, do you think these guys would all be carrying them on their waist as they are dangling down around the family jewels?

At some point, you just need to suspend your disbelief and remind yourself that you are watching a space opera western, not the history channel.

Last edited by temper11; 12-19-2017 at 04:12 PM..
temper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitellitemper11 's adopt a chief was Sabby Piscitelli
Old 12-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #2361
I'll be back.

Quote:
Just so people understand, the "Hyper Jump" that destroyed the ships....... Uh... Again why didn't the rebels just do this to both death stars?
Again, the only reason that worked was sheer incompetence.

If Hux had seen it coming they would have shot the cruiser down, easy.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #2362
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temper11 View Post
Why didn't vadar just force grab the dude (Kylo-style and Snoke-style) trying to get rid of the death star plans in Rogue One and drag him down the hall?
Why didn't Vader just force choke Luke as he flew down the Death Star trench?

SO DUMB!!!
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 0 Thumbs Down 1     Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #2363
Veteran

Quote:
I've been thinking about this. I will first say that this is not the strongest plot point in the movie.

But it isn't nearly as weak as people are making it out to be. In part you're asking--why didn't the rebels normally sacrifice their biggest, most powerful ships in suicide missions? The answer is that you don't blow up your most expensive, valuable, and hardest to replace weapons. That isn't good strategy. The ship that was used was the most poerful ship available to the resistance. You don't throw that away because it's useful for a lot more things, and over a much longer period, than if you simply drive it into an enemy ship.

It seems, further, that the maneuver would only work with an extremely large ship. Even using the resistance's largest ship, the Supremacy was not vaporized. It had a big hole torn in it that led to a catastrophic failure, but many people survived the collision. A smaller ship might not have even penetrated the shields, much less destroyed the Supremacy.

So we're left with the idea that the largest, most powerful, and most expensive ships you can find could destroy other ships. The reasons not to do it are noted above. Maybe you could put a hyperdrive on a very large rock? Maybe, but one would presume that the hyperdrive and power plant would be the most valuable components of these extremely large ships. Again, it seems plausible that the costs involved in accelerating anything massive enough to destroy a star destroyer to a high enough speed make this an impractical strategy.

As for the death stars, they were much larger and more massive than the Supremacy. The Supremacy was a relatively thing shape, 60 kilometers across, while the original Deathstar was a sphere of 120 km diameter. Given the level of damage to the Supremacy, it is reasonable to think that even the largest rebel ships could not have destroyed the much larger Deathstars with a suicide mission.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:31 PM   #2364
Veteran

Ok... here's a hole that I'm choosing to ignore, but maybe I missed something...

How does broom boy and his buddies know what happened Crait to re-create it with home-made action figures? Did someone live stream the battle to the universe and I didn't see it?
Old 12-19-2017, 04:35 PM   #2365
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by temper11 View Post
Ok... here's a hole that I'm choosing to ignore, but maybe I missed something...

How does broom boy and his buddies know what happened Crait to re-create it with home-made action figures? Did someone live stream the battle to the universe and I didn't see it?
A shitload of First Order troops and a handful of Resistance fighters saw the legendary Luke Skywalker do something legendary.

They probably all went home and put it on Star Wars facebook and it went viral.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #2366
Veteran

Quote:
I've been thinking about this. I will first say that this is not the strongest plot point in the movie.

But it isn't nearly as weak as people are making it out to be. In part you're asking--why didn't the rebels normally sacrifice their biggest, most powerful ships in suicide missions? The answer is that you don't blow up your most expensive, valuable, and hardest to replace weapons. That isn't good strategy. The ship that was used was the most poerful ship available to the resistance. You don't throw that away because it's useful for a lot more things, and over a much longer period, than if you simply drive it into an enemy ship.

It seems, further, that the maneuver would only work with an extremely large ship. Even using the resistance's largest ship, the Supremacy was not vaporized. It had a big hole torn in it that led to a catastrophic failure, but many people survived the collision. A smaller ship might not have even penetrated the shields, much less destroyed the Supremacy.

So we're left with the idea that the largest, most powerful, and most expensive ships you can find could destroy other ships. The reasons not to do it are noted above. Maybe you could put a hyperdrive on a very large rock? Maybe, but one would presume that the hyperdrive and power plant would be the most valuable components of these extremely large ships. Again, it seems plausible that the costs involved in accelerating anything massive enough to destroy a star destroyer to a high enough speed make this an impractical strategy.

As for the death stars, they were much larger and more massive than the Supremacy. The Supremacy was a relatively thing shape, 60 kilometers across, while the original Deathstar was a sphere of 120 km diameter. Given the level of damage to the Supremacy, it is reasonable to think that even the largest rebel ships could not have destroyed the much larger Deathstars with a suicide mission.
I like this reasoning... however, a large ship would probably - at the very least - have disabled the planet-killing death ray that was moments away from annihilating what was left of the resistance. And seeing as how their best option was hoping to shoot a freakin' missle down a hole no bigger than the womp-rats back on Luke's home planet, you'd have thought someone would have been warming up the ol' hyper drives for the kamikaze shot. I know Hammick dismisses it as simply FO incompetence, but I don't by that one. They'd been trying and failing to blow that ship up for hours, nothing suggests to me that it was simply incompetence that prevented them from killing it before it could make it's suicide jump.

I think it's easier to just assume, that someone was contemplating a hyper jump if the mission to blow up the death stars failed. We just didn't see it on camera. Akbar would have done it, that fish had balls.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:43 PM   #2367
I'll be back.

I still think it's dumb.

You don't think the Death Star would turn the superlaser on a capital ship the minute someone on board picked up signs of a ship about to jump to hyperspeed through the center of gravity?

Not everyone is as dumb as General Hux. He's Captain Needa's autistic bastard.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:45 PM   #2368
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
I still think it's dumb.

You don't think the Death Star would turn the superlaser on a capital ship the minute someone on board picked up signs of a ship about to jump to hyperspeed through the center of gravity?

Not everyone is as dumb as General Hux. He's Captain Needa's autistic bastard.
Well sure, but several guys in funny helmets had to move the switches from a sound mixing board into different positions before it fired.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #2369
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties View Post
A shitload of First Order troops and a handful of Resistance fighters saw the legendary Luke Skywalker do something legendary.

They probably all went home and put it on Star Wars facebook and it went viral.
ha ha ha... ok... I can kinda buy that, I guess I was thinking that the FO troopers wouldn't be bragging about that, but good loyal help is so hard to find these days.

Also, the kid force grabs the broom AFTER playing out the Luke Crait scene... and then looks up to presumably see the streak of the Millennium Falcon make it's hyperspace jump to freedom. Word must travel fast to have reached all the way to those forlorn kids so quickly! But, f-it I'll buy it.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #2370
I'll be back.

Quote:
Well sure, but several guys in funny helmets had to move the switches from a sound mixing board into different positions before it fired.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Death_Star

Quote:
In addition to its superlaser, the surface of the Death Star was also peppered with 15,000 turbolaser batteries along with 768 tractor beam emplacements.[7] As the station's defenses, these were installed in order to repel a large-scale fleet attack