Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-22-2017, 08:10 AM  
__

Derrick Johnson

I've been rewatching some of the Eagles and Pats games the past week, and DJ is just insanely good.

Seriously, I don't even think I want to lose him this offseason, much as that financially makes sense.

Here's the deal: you can totally replace his speed and his athleticism. Especially these days.

But he's SO SMART. Easily the smartest player on our defense -- he never falls for a single fake, he can always anticipate where the play is going, and is so mentally tough.

Terez did a story on Ragland earlier this season where Ragland was talking about "hey all I'm here to do is exactly what DJ tells me -- it's his team." That kind of deference is invaluable and it's part of what makes our defense so incredibly difficult to score on.

I know nobody disagrees with me that DJ is an All Time Chief, but I'll tell you this right now: barring another injury or him falling off a cliff, we gotta keep this guy. He's nigh irreplaceable.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #31
In Search of a Life

Why do we always assume these guys want to get int coaching after football?
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:42 AM   #32
Mindful Taoist German

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Because most coaches are former players...
Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.Rausch is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #33
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rausch View Post
Because most coaches are former players...
Yeah, but most players don't become coaches
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #34
Needs more middle fingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I saw him get absolutely toasted trying to get to an edge last week, but I'm pretty sure it was Sproles that did it and despite Sproles age, he can still torch even the youngest LB.

There's no question at all that he's lost a step. But he does play a pretty crucial role in getting the defense set up. That's why I say the Chiefs would end up having to pay a hometown premium if they paid him for what he can do here in KC rather than what his free agent market would be.

He's not going to be nearly as good/valuable anywhere else as he is here. The athleticism that made him so dynamic 5 years ago is well in his rearview.
He may have lost his wheels a bit but he can still read a play and shoot the gap with the the best in the league.

He's slower yet he's still breaking up passes in coverage and blowing up run plays. He's STILL one of the best ILB's in the game.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:45 AM   #35
Still Got The Blues (For You)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I saw him get absolutely toasted trying to get to an edge last week, but I'm pretty sure it was Sproles that did it and despite Sproles age, he can still torch even the youngest LB..
D.J. sometimes forgets his age. He should have known to take more of a sideline angle on that pursuit, but he angled towards Sproles as if he had 4.5 speed.

Very good to overall see him out there and being effective though. I really wrote him off, after this last injury. He still serves great purpose in the box, but I don't think he has the juice to stray far from it.
Sandy Vagina has disabled reputation
Old 09-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModBone View Post
I agree, although with Berry I believe he's more motivational than anything else.
He's a helluva football mind too though.

I still remember his rookie year in training camp when Haley was asking Berry to teach the receivers what they SHOULD'VE been doing, since Berry knew their routes and assignments better than they did.
ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.ModSocks is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:48 AM   #37
Mostly Ignored

Quote:
I was being more hopeful than anything else. I'd like to keep his knowledge here in one form or another.
TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.TimBone is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #38

Quote:
With DJ it's been stated by both he and Reid. There's a legit interest there. With Berry, not so much. Berry doesn't strike me as the coaching type.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #39
Still Got The Blues (For You)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detoxing View Post
With DJ it's been stated by both he and Reid. There's a legit interest there. With Berry, not so much. Berry doesn't strike me as the coaching type.
That's right. There was an article about this a ways back.. certainly made me feel like this was a likely agenda for D.J.

http://kan.247sports.com/Bolt/Chiefs...ing--105553783
Sandy Vagina has disabled reputation
Old 09-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #40
Starter

When I lived in the KC area DJ came to our neighborhood garage sale. I think it was his rookie year. Really nice guy.

It has been fantastic watching his career. I hope it can continue, but his body appears to be slowing way down. Would love to see him coach our LBs once he retires.
11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.11Chiefs is not part of the Right 53.
Thumbs Up 1 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #41
Snacks Are Under My Apron

We have had some great players come through Arrowhead. Glad we nabbed DJ he's one of if not my favorite player of all time. I tend to give him that title more than any Chief I have called the greatest.
threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.threebag is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
In Search of a Life

DJ is my favorite player in the NFl. So many times he has been counted out, only to come back and rack up tackles.

He will go into the Chiefs Ring of Honor and hopefully have a long career with us as a coach.

One of the All Time Great Chiefs- on and off the field.
Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.Halfcan is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Thumbs Up 2 Thumbs Down 0     Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #43
Mahomes Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfcan View Post
DJ is my favorite player in the NFl. So many times he has been counted out, only to come back and rack up tackles.

He will go into the Chiefs Ring of Honor and hopefully have a long career with us as a coach.

One of the All Time Great Chiefs- on and off the field.
This.
Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.Molitoth is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #44
The talking stonehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Vagina View Post
That's right. There was an article about this a ways back.. certainly made me feel like this was a likely agenda for D.J.

http://kan.247sports.com/Bolt/Chiefs...ing--105553783
Quote:
"Young guys will ask me questions," Johnson explained. "They're picking my brain-seeing if I know my stuff, so I'm always on point with that. I enjoy it. Later in life, I'd like to become some kind of a coach, and this is a perfect opportunity out here with the young guys asking me all kinds of questions."

"They're trying to do this, and so we're going to do this," Johnson added of what he likes about the mental part of the game. "Just being a step ahead of the game. Being an older guy, I appreciate the mental part. I'm not a slow guy, but I'm not as fast as I used to be, so mentally, I've got to keep reacting quicker."

Johnson said he hasn't yet spoken with Reid yet about his desire to coach one day.

"He's an offensive-minded guy, but I've talked to (defensive coordinator) Bob Sutton and (linebackers coach) Gary Gibbs, mostly," Johnson explained. "It's a cool deal. Some people, even the great football players, have no interest in coaching. I've had a lot of success, but I enjoy the scheme and process of it all."

"It's a pretty cool atmosphere."

What level would Johnson want to coach?

"I thought about all of it," Johnson explained. "In high school, you're teaching the fundamentals, trying to get them off to college. It's also teaching them a little bit about life.

"In college, there's the recruiting part of it, so it's a year-around thing. In the NFL, it's even more of a business-as far as getting hired and fired. I'll definitely get into the coaching later on, not right when I get out, but I'll set it up in the right way."

Johnson said he could see himself as a coaching intern on the sidelines during a Chiefs' camp one day.

"Of course," Johnson laughed. "I would. This is a good atmosphere-a good platform."
POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.POND_OF_RED wants to die in a aids tree fire.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #45
You Sweetie!

I'm a little pressed for time - so haven't read any responses - good thread by the way - totally agree - but my question is - Where's Ragland on his road to recovery? - sorry if it's been answered.
Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.Simply Red is obviously part of the inner Circle.