Home Discord Chat
Go Back   ChiefsPlanet > Nzoner's Game Room > Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum
Register FAQDonate Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 PM  
__

The possibility of keeping Alex Smith.

Alright, let's get down to some nitty gritty here, folks.

What if Alex Smith is amazing in 2017? The Chiefs hand will be forced -- keep him. 2018 will be the final year of his contract and it's a $20m cap hit. Not unreasonable for a guy playing extremely well.

So, what would the Chiefs have to do?

First, we pretty much have the cap met RIGHT NOW, assuming we bring back absolutely no one who is a free agent. So our cap is royally ****ed.

The two most popular ideas right now are cutting DJ/Hali, or letting them both retire, or whatever. Cutting them saves us a combined $15m. We likely have DJ's replacements already on the roster, and Ford will be entering his contract year in 2018.

We can also cut (or trade) Allen Bailey if we want to elevate RNR to a starting slot. Trading Bailey saves us $8m (and nets us a draft pick or whatever). Cutting him saves us $6m.

If Eric Fisher has a really good 2017, maybe we just extend/restructure him at the end of the season. That would lower his cap hit in 2018 (right now it's slated for $14m).

I wouldn't touch Allen Bailey, but I'd cut DJ/Hali and extend/restructure Fisher. That allows us to keep Mr. Smith and have roughly $20m in cap space, $5m of which can go to our rookie class.

I think it's non-negotiable that we bring back Terrance Mitchell, but he shouldn't cost a ton. Bennie Logan might be a good idea -- although, again, we could just play RNR at the nose and be fine (which is what I would do if we kept Smith on the roster).

So my recommendation, keeping Alex rather than trading him:

1. cut/retire DJ
2. cut/retire Hali
3. restructure/extend Fisher
4. extend Terrance Mitchell
5. let basically all of our FAs walk: De'Anthony, Fulton, Logan, Sherman, Albert Wilson, Gaines, Colquitt
6. make a few choice re-signings (Santos, KPL, maybe Gaines?)

That'll leave us thin at DL, OL, and OLB -- which I hate. And the best draft pick we'll have in 2018 will be at the very bottom of the 2nd.

But hey, if your QB is balling out, who cares?

Food for thought.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:36 AM   #61
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Yeah I figured in Wades system Johnson would be legit: I doubt they let him walk but iirc their cap is out of whack?
Their cap is in great shape: $60 million in space next year.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:37 AM   #62
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Their cap is in great shape: $60 million in space next year.
Maybe it's this year they're ****ed? I dunno why I was thinking their cap was weird

Surely they'll keep Johnson.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 AM   #63
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.city View Post
Maybe it's this year they're ****ed? I dunno why I was thinking their cap was weird

Surely they'll keep Johnson.
Yeah, especially since they have a cheap QB for the next 4 seasons (including this season).

Goff was impressive yesterday. He looked completely different than last year.
DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.DaneMcCloud is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #64
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud View Post
Yeah, especially since they have a cheap QB for the next 4 seasons (including this season).

Goff was impressive yesterday. He looked completely different than last year.
Yeah I figured Mcvay would get him looking better. Cousins looked like shit without him as well.
O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.O.city is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:55 AM   #65
I'll be back.

His regular season doesn't matter.

If he shits the bed in the playoffs again he's gone.
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #66
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
Can we at least acknowledge the obvious: so long as Smith plays like he did Thursday on a consistent basis, and the defense doesn't suffer any more devastating injuries like it did with Berry -- this is a Super Bowl caliber team.
Yeah, but that's what we said last year at this time.

*shrug*
Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.Hammock Parties is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:01 AM   #67
I'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Direckshun View Post
The way they played on Thursday means that when they are "on" in this regard, only a couple teams can really hang with them, and those teams are all in the AFC.
Uh, wut?

The Cowboys and Falcons might have something to say about that.

Pump the brakes, fam. It's Week 1.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #68
__

Yeah sorry -- I meant NFC. The NFC is much deeper.
Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.Direckshun is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #69
Andy Reid Supporter

Carson Palmer looks terrible. I think Alex to Arizona is the right move. 2nd rd pick is fair.
RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.RunKC is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 PM   #70
MVP

Two ways Smith stays:

1. He takes this team to the Superbowl, which would pretty much force their hand. 100% chance he is kept.

2. He goes for 65% comp, 4+k yards, 25+ tds, >10 INTs and leads the team to the AFC Championship game. About 70% chance he is kept.

Either of these scenarios happen and he'll get a multi-year extension to lower his cap number and keep him around longer. Mahomes gets the Rodgers treatment without the "will he won't he retire" dance.
OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.OldSchool has an IQ even higher than Frankie's.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 PM   #71
In Search of a Life

Alex Smith isn't getting an extension unless Mahomes is severely injured or goes potato. Some of you ****ers smh

This isn't comparable to Rodgers and Favre. Smith isn't a HoF QB you mongoloids.
BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.BryanBusby has enough rep power to blowy ou to bits.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM   #72
Sauntering Vaguely Downwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunKC View Post
Carson Palmer looks terrible. I think Alex to Arizona is the right move. 2nd rd pick is fair.
I still think he's the exact opposite of what Arians wants in a passer.

For a lot of coaches facing that dilemma, you'd be right - he's a good stop gap for a team that might not have a wealth of replacement options but has the tools to win over the next 2-3 years.

But man, with Arians emphasis on downfield passing, Smith just doesn't appear to be in his wheelhouse.

I'm still surprised they didn't trade up to get Kizer or snag Webb rather than trade out of the spot in the 3rd. They traded away the pick they could've gotten Webb with for a 3rd they used on a small school WR and a G. That strikes me as a poor use of resources for a team with Carson Palmer under center.
DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.DJ's left nut is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #73
Most Valuable Villain

My guess would either be the Jags or the Jets. They could both use a competent starting QB to become relevant if they draft a QB next year.
The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.The Franchise is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #74
"You like to drink?"

I think the Patriots have totally misplayed the Brady - Garoppolo situation and they should be the case study on not to handle the QB position.
Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.Discuss Thrower is obviously part of the inner Circle.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 AM   #75
In Search of a Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut View Post
I still think he's the exact opposite of what Arians wants in a passer.

For a lot of coaches facing that dilemma, you'd be right - he's a good stop gap for a team that might not have a wealth of replacement options but has the tools to win over the next 2-3 years.

But man, with Arians emphasis on downfield passing, Smith just doesn't appear to be in his wheelhouse.

I'm still surprised they didn't trade up to get Kizer or snag Webb rather than trade out of the spot in the 3rd. They traded away the pick they could've gotten Webb with for a 3rd they used on a small school WR and a G. That strikes me as a poor use of resources for a team with Carson Palmer under center.
Trade them Mahomes for 3 first rounders

Ducks for cover